Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Today i have noticed some oil around some of the plastic trim on the side of the engine where the cam belt lives. Taking the two screws out of the top plastic trim around the oil filler cap allowed me to pull the trim back and have alittle look. There is no oil from the top of the engine. The oil seems to be coming from the side somewhere? The plastic trim that covers the cambelt is coverd in oil on the inside. The cam belt and the two cogs at the top of the engine also has a covering of oil.

Does anyone one have any ideas?

Ben

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 17 Jan 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Today i have noticed some oil around some of the plastic trim on the side of the engine where the cam belt lives. Taking the two screws out of the top plastic trim around the oil filler cap allowed me to pull the trim back and have alittle look. There is no oil from the top of the engine. The oil seems to be coming from the side somewhere? The plastic trim that covers the cambelt is coverd in oil on the inside. The cam belt and the two cogs at the top of the engine also has a covering of oil.

Does anyone one have any ideas?

Ben

Ben, sounds like that breather pipe they replaced isn't fixed in under the rocker cover. What a shower of ? your dealers are.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 17 Jan 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ben, sounds like that breather pipe they replaced isn't fixed in under the rocker cover. What a shower of ? your dealers are.

The oil breather pipe seems to be fixed good and true and theres no oil on top of the engine
. I'm going to try and take the engine covers off properly tomorrow to get more of an idea whats going on

Now to show how much i know about an engine
. Where is the crank as i have searched on here and sometimes the crank seals can go?

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 17 Jan 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The oil breather pipe seems to be fixed good and true and theres no oil on top of the engine
. I'm going to try and take the engine covers off properly tomorrow to get more of an idea whats going on

Now to show how much i know about an engine
. Where is the crank as i have searcked on here and sometimes the crank seals can go?

It's the end under the rocker cover Ben, you need to remove it to see the pipe.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 17 Jan 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now to show how much i know about an engine
. Where is the crank as i have searched on here and sometimes the crank seals can go?
Crank's at the bottom of the engine Ben, so not going to be a crank seal problem.

If you are to try and clean off the oil give it a spray first with contact cleaner or clutch/brake cleaner these are solvent based and will shift it without leaving an oil residue. I'd be very cautious using the car while there's oil getting on the cam belt, if it slips then the timing will go out and you can kiss goodbye to a good few of your valves

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 17 Jan 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Crank's at the bottom of the engine Ben, so not going to be a crank seal problem.

If you are to try and clean off the oil give it a spray first with contact cleaner or clutch/brake cleaner these are solvent based and will shift it without leaving an oil residue. I'd be very cautious using the car while there's oil getting on the cam belt, if it slips then the timing will go out and you can kiss goodbye to a good few of your valves

Hmmm might be the damn oil breather pipe then. Only managed to have a quick look today but all seemed ok under the rocker cover.

Thankyou all very much for the advice so far

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Been back out to the car in the cold and dark and takern the end cover off the engine. I have also had a good clear look at the oil breather pipe which is all good and as clean as a whistle so we can rule that out. There just seems to be a film of oil on 50% of the the cover i've takern off and a film of oil all over the trim that covers the cam belt. The cambelt does seem clear of oil (with torch light)

Edit - Just another thought. I guess oil is like everything else on earth. It would only go down hill with gravity and not be able to go up hill unless moved there by something . Perhaps this is something as simple as someone spilling oil when they toped my oil up

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been back out to the car in the cold and dark and takern the end cover off the engine. I have also had a good clear look at the oil breather pipe which is all good and as clean as a whistle so we can rule that out. There just seems to be a film of oil on 50% of the the cover i've takern off and a film of oil all over the trim that covers the cam belt. The cambelt does seem clear of oil (with torch light)

knowing ford, if they've been working on your engine mate, they have had it lying somewhere on the garage floor and spilt oil over it! is your oil level ok?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>knowing ford, if they've been working on your engine mate, they have had it lying somewhere on the garage floor and spilt oil over it! is your oil level ok?

Oil level is good. Your right in that Ford do seem to get oil on parts there shouldn't be oil which is something i noticed when i got home. If i new the part name that was coverd in oil i would tell you

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(stingy @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>knowing ford, if they've been working on your engine mate, they have had it lying somewhere on the garage floor and spilt oil over it! is your oil level ok?It could well be that, only other thing I'd wonder is the oil seals for the cams, assuming it has them with the pulleys being external? I'm more used to motors having camchains and everything kept inside the motor.They've not messed up where the oil filler seals to the top of the cambox have they?Photo might help Ben if you're not sure what bits are called

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It could well be that, only other thing I'd wonder is the oil seals for the cams, assuming it has them with the pulleys being external? I'm more used to motors having camchains and everything kept inside the motor.They've not messed up where the oil filler seals to the top of the cambox have they?Photo might help Ben if you're not sure what bits are called

The inlet manifold was covered in oil. Looks like Ford had put something nice and oily on it.

I'll have some pics up very soon of the other bits

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some pics that may help

This is one of the covers that are coted in oil that sits along side the cambelt

This is the top cover also coverd in a film of oil which you can just about see in the pics

This part is oil free

And another view. It looks like the inside of these cogs has alittle oil on them but it's hard to tell in the dark

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ben could it be just frorm when the breather was spilt, doesn't look too bad?

The car was only run for around five mins with a broken breather and around that area is as clean as a whistle. But then you could be right. I no
all about engines

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(john-st3 @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looks the same as mine, camshaft oil seal gone(possibly).its getting done at 50k, when i change the cambelt for peace of mind

Hmmm mine has just done 51,000 miles. If this was the case how much work are we looking at to get it fixed?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.