Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
After reseaching the oil matter for a while, there are presently two kind of oils in UK that will not invalidate engine's warranty.

According to Castrol's UK technical advisor Mr. Griffin the only oil that CASTROL is producing in UK which is approved by FORD and meet her specifications is the GTX MAGNATEX 5W-30 which is semisynthetic.

The other oil is the FORD oil FORMULA - E which is mentioned and is pictured here in another thread and is the oil first fitted in the factory in Germany.

Castrol's EDGE 5W-30 is fully synthetic far-far superior than both the above oils but not approved by FORD!!

According to FORD Greece the oil change should be every 10000 km (about 5000 miles), but personally will change every 5000 km including oil filter, which by the way is the paper type.

Today changed for first time the oil (Found FORD'S Formula -E in Greece) and the filter at 3000 km (about 2000 miles), so here are some photos from the adventure, (Took about 40 minutes)

Hope above closes the oil matter for the

Cheers Nikos

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you fill the oil back up by the oil filter housing, as opposed to the top by the cams? I need to do my oil very soon, can anyone say if this is the correct way of doing it? I can't imagine it makes any difference at all really tho.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Great guide but i wouldnt personally fill the oil up through the filter hole! If there are any metal particles that the filter has caught but that have fallen into the space around the filter you will wash them straight back into the sump! In Britain the recomended oil change period is 12000 miles! I change mine at 6000 miles or at the moment about 3 times a year as we are doing mainly track work with the car! I would also recomend fitting a magnetic drain plug to catch the finer metalic particles too! >>>
http://www.magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk/?gclid=CJDev8zRx50CFUYA4wodejkirA <<<

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Ford oil is really cheap, look at the price of this before you go spending ££££'s on other brands.

I would do our lasses every 6000 miles (but she only does about 4,000 a year anyway)

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Ford oil is really cheap, look at the price of this before you go spending ££££'s on other brands.

I would do our lasses every 6000 miles (but she only does about 4,000 a year anyway)
As Dennis says the Ford oil is perfectly ok for all but the most tracked cars as long as you change it regularly! If youre running a lot of power (ie ModX) then use the Castrol Edge 0W40 fully synthetic or an equivalent! Be warned though you will be spendin £80 on oil every time you change it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
As Dennis says the Ford oil is perfectly ok for all but the most tracked cars as long as you change it regularly! If youre running a lot of power (ie ModX) then use the Castrol Edge 0W40 fully synthetic or an equivalent! Be warned though you will be spendin £80 on oil every time you change it!
I got some of the castrol stuff from halfords today for £40.00, they only had one today but when i put it in it was above the min, im going to check it in the morning though! I have found it cheaper online though, will have a proper look before i change it again!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cheers mate, i got one in the end (£14 though) i should have been more prepared lol, i didnt give it a thought, and i had drained the oil so i could drive out to get one i had to walk a misson! so a grand day starting with the plan to change oil, filter and spark plugs, fit DSCI and intercooler, ended with oil and filter changed and achy legs!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I got some of the castrol stuff from halfords today for £40.00, they only had one today but when i put it in it was above the min, im going to check it in the morning though! I have found it cheaper online though, will have a proper look before i change it again!
It takes 6.4 litres so if youve only put 4 litres in i wouldnt start the engine!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
The ford stuff is much cheaper (about £10 for 5 ltrs, trade price)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went to fords today to get some oil expecting to get 5/30 Formula E............ However i was handed 5/30 Formula F and was told this is a better and newer oil but now costs £30 and £21 trade price ??

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Hi all, bringing up an old thread here but just wanted to ask for clarification on torque settings for:

A - Sump Plug (Magnetic Type as in Andys post)
B - Oil filter housing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.