Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Oil change required message linked only to the time since the last reset, or is there any way the engine knows the quality of the oil?
Just curious as I changed the oil myself in the summer and have only covered 2000 miles. I’m 99% sure I reset it after the oil change too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have you checked your oil since it’s happened? Mine threw this light in early October and it turned out the oil had deteriorated due to fuel dilution. It’s fairly common in diesels - if switched off during a dpf regeneration the extra fuel it’s trying to burn has to go somewhere and it’s into the sump.
I don’t think there is a quality sensor as such, but I think the car knows through the ecu that it’s failed a regen and will have compromised it’s oil.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
15,442 Posts
Pretty sure that warning is only linked to the service interval.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the level seems fine, doesn’t smell of diesel and isn’t too runny. So does this engine inject diesel on the exhaust stroke AND through the Vaporizer for regens?
I fitted a LED to the Vaporizer fuel pump relay and it lights up much more often than I expected.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think that’s how they work mate yes... tbh since mine had that problem I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can about how they regen to piece it all together...
You’ve got my interest with your led! I’ve been looking into fitting something like that for ages but wasn’t sure how to! I’m beginning to think mine is trying to regen all the time but can’t... the light would back that up I guess.

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
221 Posts
Never had this happen on my 2015 Diesel ST until it was remapped (Had done about 20k with the car before remap), have had it twice now in the last 3-4k miles. Has only done 6k since it's last Oil Service, 1st time round I thought the garage had forgotten to reset after service, so reset it myself, and only last week it's back on again. I've had my car remapped several times over the last month or so, as we're trying to get the map right for my car (That's another story), so not sure if all these changes with the map has upset the Oil Service readings or whether the car really thinks there's something up with the oil, level seems fine, maybe a little too high if anything, and was suggested by the remap company that I may have fuel mixed in with the oil.
I like the LED idea to know when the DPF is doing the regen, as otherwise I think you can only tell with software like Forscan.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Never had this happen on my 2015 Diesel ST until it was remapped (Had done about 20k with the car before remap), have had it twice now in the last 3-4k miles. Has only done 6k since it's last Oil Service, 1st time round I thought the garage had forgotten to reset after service, so reset it myself, and only last week it's back on again. I've had my car remapped several times over the last month or so, as we're trying to get the map right for my car (That's another story), so not sure if all these changes with the map has upset the Oil Service readings or whether the car really thinks there's something up with the oil, level seems fine, maybe a little too high if anything, and was suggested by the remap company that I may have fuel mixed in with the oil.
I like the LED idea to know when the DPF is doing the regen, as otherwise I think you can only tell with software like Forscan.
Same as Wayne... Could always tell when mine was doing a regen premap.. and its all been a bit vague ever since! I know we've had the same company's map.. so thats very interesting! You say oil level maybe a little too high? Can you smell fuel in it?

It's all a bit of a lottery for me now.... I don't have any error codes so can only assume the car is running right... however... stop start doesnt work anymore which makes me think the car is constantly trying to regen as it sounds so burbly all the time... a bit of me wants to go through changing vaporiser.. DPF... sensors... but what a lot of money to throw at it!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great. I’ll keep Transit spares in mind then. Thanks.

Been out underneath the car today. Bent a tool I bought off eBay trying to remove the Vaporizer, gave up so got the laptop out to look into doing a regen.
Reset the oil required message as if I’d just done an oil change, scanned and cleared all codes then tried to regen but P253F engine oil deteriorated popped up again. So there must be some sort of sensor checking the oil??
Also got up a P244C Exhaust temperature too low for particulate filter regeneration, bank 1.
Any ideas on that one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts