Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled off my drive earlier and my car is making a really odd noise. Had the AA out earlier and he didn't know what was wrong with it. He thinks there maybe an air leak somewhere. The car has also lost some oil in the last two weeks.

This is the sound it's been making.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4FZOGjm-cUk

Anybody had something similar to this before? Just want to know if it's a common thing before i take it into the garage.

Cheers
Micky

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yes did it through the test sequence on the dash and only got 11.5 volts also confirmed with my fluke. I just had a look for you at the dash test and it says 14.3 volts with engine at idle.

Mine started to whine then 30 odd miles later just completely died. It may be that yours still charges the battery though.

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
That noise is a failed Oil diaphram valve - also explains your oil loss.

If you pull the dip stick out while it is running the noise will stop.

Ford have an uprated part for this now - there are plenty of posts relating to this failure

You need to avoid driving the car while it is like this as the turbo boost is being blown directly into the sump!

Pm me if you need further help

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Alternator has gone. Just got back and the dash lit up with esp, abs light and the battery light. It's also charging at around 10v

Will do a search on the oil diaphram valve aswell.

Do you think it could be caused by those one way ramps you get in carparks (the spike type which puncture tyres if you go over them the wrong way). Went over one the other day it it hit the bottom of the car.

Think i'll just go to the garage and bend over

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a little update. Garage just came to pick it up and it's totaly dead (They are having to get it recovered tomorrow). Got quoted £300 for a new alternator fitted inc vat. Don't know how good that is on price but not as bad as i thought it would be.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Just a little update. Garage just came to pick it up and it's totaly dead (They are having to get it recovered tomorrow). Got quoted £300 for a new alternator fitted inc vat. Don't know how good that is on price but not as bad as i thought it would be.
That price seems about right. I payed £275 but that was some months ago. Hope you get it back and running asap mate

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

Alternator has gone. Just got back and the dash lit up with esp, abs light and the battery light. It's also charging at around 10v

Will do a search on the oil diaphram valve aswell.

Do you think it could be caused by those one way ramps you get in carparks (the spike type which puncture tyres if you go over them the wrong way). Went over one the other day it it hit the bottom of the car.
I doubt it as the alternator is located just under the inlet manifold high up

Think i'll just go to the garage and bend over
I was quoted £305 by my local ford dealer and price seems to be average nationwide. The part alone costs £189

1 - 10 of 10 Posts