Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A group of friends and myself are going to the ring in June, deposit paid on hotel etc already.

Im just looking for some advice from those who have been before on what i will need to take with me, allow money for & such. Things that i would overlook not having been before.

I've got a few months to start saving/looking into things so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Take lots of money, it will be needed for fuel, laps etc fuel wise depends on how many laps you want to do. I was getting through a full tank in 4 laps so can be an expensive day if your planning on getting plenty of laps in (I did about 25 laps on my last trip so spent almost as much on fuel as on the rest of the trip put together!)

make sure you have checked all the fluid levels in the car etc, maybe even stick it in for a service before you go!
Check you have European cover for Insurance/breakdown. Remember that the ring may be classed as a public toll road but 99/100 insurance policies exclude it so you will not be covered whilst on the ring. You can get specific cover but it is expensive and only provides a limited cover.

Respect the ring or it will bite you. Don't try any racing or timing. Just be safe, take it easy, and you'll love it!

Oh and watch out for bikers!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I might see you there. I am going end of May down to Italy via the Stelvio pass for a 2 week holiday. On the way back i want to call at the ring, I have no intention of driving fast just more for the experience. I used to do track days on bikes so i know that you can sometimes get dragged along into a bit of a race

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Dave, i didnt realise the ST would go through so much fuel but i suppose its beign driven hard the entire time.

Whats the fuel situation like out there ? I guess prices are cheaper than here (id hope so) but is there a station at the Ring, do they charge a premium because its so close etc?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Take your V5 document and insurance and both parts of your driving license! If possible change your brake pads and fluid before you go! Use a DOT 5.1 brake fluid! Make sure your tyres have plenty of tread too as they will wear quickly! You will need a Hi-Vis vest/jacket for each occupant of the vehicle! Arrange for roaming on your mobile phone if you want to use it abroad but dont forget you get charged for incoming calls as well as outgoing ones! Dont call attention to yourself in the car park or the queue as they will throw you out as soon as look at you! No cameras or video equipment is allowed! Again they will throw you off even if you have a tripod/mount set up with no camera on it! Try and get some passenger laps with more experienced drivers as this will teach you much more than just jumping in and driving round! Most of all though have a great time and come back safe!

If you are using a sat nav make sure you type in Nurburg not Nuremburg! One member of the Fiesta site can vouch for the fact that Nuremburg is 400 miles past Nurburg lol!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(dan3d86 @ 25 Jan 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers Dave, i didnt realise the ST would go through so much fuel but i suppose its beign driven hard the entire time.

Whats the fuel situation like out there ? I guess prices are cheaper than here (id hope so) but is there a station at the Ring, do they charge a premium because its so close etc?

Fuel is slightly more expensive out there! Its also available as below95, 95, 97 and 100 RON! The Superblaufrie is 95 though! The petrol near the 'Ring is about the same as the rest of the country! I usually get 7.5 MPG on the track! 50 miles to empty light comes on with 3/4 of a tank left lol!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Store the Nordschleife's office number in your phone. This is the number you have to dial if you have an accident or first on the scene. +49 2691 302215

If you don't have recovery, get ADAC.

Andy mentioned brakes. Noobs have a habit of cooking theirs as they go flat out, then brake when they dint know where they're going. Take it steady.

·
Registered
699 Posts
some good advice here... how come we cant video on the track? after all it is a public toll road... is there a way we can video without them knowing??

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(RobboST @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>some good advice here... how come we cant video on the track? after all it is a public toll road... is there a way we can video without them knowing??
Because it's managed by a private company and they make the rules.

Yes you can film but it's banned so expect to be stopped from going out if the marshals see you and/or banned for at least the day.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ahh thats too bad.. i wanted to make a whole epic trip video!

What if i had my iphone mounted on the windscreen in the car? loads of people mount mobiles to the windscreen. then i could record from that once on track? I have satnav on the phone so could say im using it for that if asked..??

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(RobboST @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ahh thats too bad.. i wanted to make a whole epic trip video!

What if i had my iphone mounted on the windscreen in the car? loads of people mount mobiles to the windscreen. then i could record from that once on track? I have satnav on the phone so could say im using it for that if asked..??
Take a chance and see. Personally I wouldn't want any loose objects in my car as they can soon become a distraction and missiles in the cabin if they come loose or in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
QUOTE(RobboST @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ahh thats too bad.. i wanted to make a whole epic trip video!

Ermm....its a ring, not much chance of going the wrong direction?!

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Lucy @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ermm....its a ring, not much chance of going the wrong direction?!

yeahh but surely it would help you know what corners are coming up?

oh well rules are rules. I've not even booked anything yet but definately want to go this year!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
QUOTE(RobboST @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeahh but surely it would help you know what corners are coming up?oh well rules are rules. I've not even booked anything yet but definately want to go this year!Taking it at a steady pace and getting some passenger experience would probably be more use?Its all fun and games until you see an accident, or someone u know scares the
outta you by having a mishap and then it hits home about what a dangerous place it actually is and how you should treat it with respect.QUOTE(dan3d86 @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I'll be driving like miss daisy for the first day or so!!!So fuel and general car maintenance are the main things to worry about, and getting there of courseMaybe think about investing in a helmet? I got one for use in my MX5 as it has a flimsy roof (
) but its also quite useful in normal cars as you dont realise how u can actually easily headbutt the windows?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(dan3d86 @ 25 Jan 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I'll be driving like miss daisy for the first day or so!!!

So fuel and general car maintenance are the main things to worry about, and getting there of course
It'll take more than a day to learn it, trust me. I'm still learning after 500+ laps. It's much more complex than just learning the lefts and rights.

Speaking of fuel, don't run out, there's a €200 recovery fee.

Just be aware of your surroundings, I know people doing 180mph in certain sections and doing 7:xx laps in cars and on bikes, they have the ability to teleport into your rear view mirror.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm under no illusions, ill be happy if the car makes it there and back without any issues and as long as I'm prepared I'm sure it will be worth while

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like i said earlier go at your own pace. Its so easy trying to keep up with someone and next thing your in to middle of a corner way to hot
I have done it a couple of times on bike track days and at the Isle of Man. Luckily i managed to make it around the corner each time

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(theboy @ 25 Jan 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Like i said earlier go at your own pace. Its so easy trying to keep up with someone and next thing your in to middle of a corner way to hot

I remember someone saying how they were following a German plated M3, assuming they thought because the driver was German, they knew where they were going. Suffice to say both cars failed to make the left hander at Adenauer Forst.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As everybody has said above take it really easy, keep to the right and use your mirrors loads, and then use them some more.

Your first handful of laps will fry your brain, take a rest and go and watch at the viewing points or mooch around the car park, most of all have fun.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts