Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ordering new genuine number plate light holders it's apparent that they no longer have a shield over the top of the bulb, to direct all of the light down through the lens. Now when it's dark, I have light coming out of the trim that covers the rear wiper motor just below the rear window. It's very distracting as it always looks like someone's behind me when looking in my rear view! Anyone else have this issue? I've just ordered some LED festoon bulbs to tackle the issue, as they're only lot from one side of the bulb aren't they?

Gaz

·
Registered
74 Posts
LOL .. I had the exact same problem and gave up with different covers,, just push some loft insulation or sounf deadining up the inside and hey presto no rear reflection.. its a real pain in the ar$e at night

A

·
Registered
159 Posts
i also had the same problem. easiest way, buy some nice LED number plate lights that only shine down....nicer looking and solves the problem!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said I've ordered LED bulbs, the only shine downwards, whereas the originals light up all the way around! What a
design by Ford!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Can't believe I've just read this. I have the exact same issue but thought I'd be mad to post about it. It really niggles me as well but I wasn't sure how best to tackle it.
haha love it
Some things u think I better not post because peeps will prob think
Wtf but when some body else post u think lol
I know I should of posted lol ;-)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Where have you ordered them from? Thinking I might try the same.
There loads on e bay I ve had them in mine for ages
But I heard a few post saying they don't last long ?
Like the front side light LEDs I hav mine in for over a year no
A prob but my other mate has has 3 sets in te last month :-(

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Yep, tricked me a few times for a while after first getting them. Getting some new ones soon as I think one of them has just popped with all of this moisture. Would like some recommendations if people care to share?

Preferably not eBay as I still haven't gotten my account back from the tards.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where have you ordered them from? Thinking I might try the same.
Got these ones mate, had to post a pic as can't get a link from the app!

I don't know why Ford removed the shield from the new holders? Obviously not very well thought out! Glad I'm not only though

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They are a different part number so im lead to believ , I bought 2 new ones from Ford when i first got my car in Dec, My old ones were corroded and didnt work, got home went to fit them one of my old ones had the shield and the other didnt so i went back to ford to see if they should have came he said no and I ordered just the one shield thing

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I've got this same issue but just thought it was one of those things you have to live with. Happened when my car needed new rev plate lights for the last MOT.
Going to order some off eBay that Steph linked to.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've fitted my LED bulbs today, they look awesome but the light is still coming through! The light is reflecting off of the lens and bouncing back in through the gap! I'm just going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
see my previous post.. i does not matter what bulb you fit the light will shine through.. loft insulation will help solve this

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just been out to look at my bulbs, and one had a black cover on it, the other didn't. Might be worth checking to see if yours have covers if you are getting light shine through the boot.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just been out to look at my bulbs, and one had a black cover on it, the other didn't. Might be worth checking to see if yours have covers if you are getting light shine through the boot.
New holders don't come with the covers. I was the same as you, one had it, the other didn't but since I've got new ones the light shines through both sides. I'm used to it now though!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts