Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been at work all day and just got home, got my V5 in the post with my new number on, got the tax disc so I thought Ill just pop out and change my plate over, 1. because my L33LHO looks good and 2. the ones that were on were so shoddy it made the car look terrible, so I thought easy job un screw the old ones and stick the new ones with double foam pads.....

Front done onto the rears well what
!!! the 2 great big mountains that the screws go through wont make the plate sit flush and it bows out and look
. I hope it will still be stuck there in the morning and not popped off.

Retarded design!! Rant over

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Been at work all day and just got home, got my V5 in the post with my new number on, got the tax disc so I thought Ill just pop out and change my plate over, 1. because my L33LHO looks good and 2. the ones that were on were so shoddy it made the car look terrible, so I thought easy job un screw the old ones and stick the new ones with double foam pads.....

Front done onto the rears well what
!!! the 2 great big mountains that the screws go through wont make the plate sit flush and it bows out and look
. I hope it will still be stuck there in the morning and not popped off.

Retarded design!! Rant over
Mehta did you use? Double sided tape?
I used the double sided foam on my back one and put about 5 layers on so it clears the dimples.

Had to do the same on my old focus. Bloody PIA

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they can be flat flush to the boot, if not the ends just flap about and it warps like the old plates were that i was replacing

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I used sticky foam on mine as well, found if I used a strip along the whole length at top and bottom it evens it out

·
Registered
480 Posts
dont know why everyone making such a fuss.

using the original plate as a template, match the two up one on top of the other, drill through the holes on the original plate, down through the new plate, screw it on and bobs ya uncle!

·
Registered
118 Posts

using the original plate as a template, match the two up one on top of the other, drill through the holes on the original plate, down through the new plate, screw it on and bobs ya uncle!
Not everybody wants to drill through their fancy new plates! I certainly didn't. Had a right job getting mine done good enough but but fairly happy with the end result and that was just with standard double sided strips

·
Registered
12,607 Posts

I don't like the look of screws through plates.

·
Registered
647 Posts
you will find on a focus there is a foam pad that sits around the number plate screw holes and makes the number plate sit flush its the same size as the plate so if its not there yours has been either removed to paint the tailgate or had a new tailgate

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mine are screwed on with tamper proof screws not as easy for some prat to pull off .... nice pad in the middle of the rear to prevent bending
lol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you will find on a focus there is a foam pad that sits around the number plate screw holes and makes the number plate sit flush its the same size as the plate so if its not there yours has been either removed to paint the tailgate or had a new tailgate
or a dealer has put new plates on with their web address or some sort of advertising on (which 99% of dealers do)

·
Registered
647 Posts
no the foam is attached to the tailgate and comes with it from the factory we dont remove it as it helps with vibration as well as levelling the depth difference between the screw holes and tailgate

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I certainly wasn't drilling through my Gel plates as it just would have looked horrible

You would have to hang on my plates to pull the bloody things off now after I lost the front 1 from not using enough foam, luckily it dropped off on my drive way or I would have been really
as they were £40 a set and only came in pairs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts