just got thinkiing their must be a proper proceedure to follow
for not using an st engine for afew weeks
is it correct to just let engine tick over once aweek say for about 15mins
or just leave it and let it stand
thanks Geoff

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as I am aware it is best to just check the levels and if all is good take it for a drive to get it upto temp. Leaving it to idle means the oil pump is only working at idle speeds and thus takes longer to feed the top of the engine. Driving it straight away helps the engine build oil pressure faster

HTH

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I have started the proceedure on my elise today, (it has been in hibination since oct).

Obviously check levels tires etc.

If the oil is not at the max, think about putting a bit in so there is some oil at the top of the engine.

Take the fuse for the fuel pump out then turn the car over to help move the pistons etc slowly and help ciculate some of the oil (this will stop the car form firing but prevent unburnt oil into cat whihc woudl happen if you diconected the coil).

Refit the fuse then start it and let it tick over for a few minutes before driving, the oil has got to temp you will be fine.

Do not just start it and drive as normal if you can help it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 13 Feb 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get a trickle charger.

+1. I use one on my
2000. She's garaged for months at a time & this has stopped all the issues of the battery running down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we all love our st's mate but leaving it for a few weeks without driving will do it no harm at all,dont panic,just start her up and take her for a drive when you can.
people worry to much about this sort of thing,as fast and cool as your st is,it's not a racing engine,it was designed with a service interval of12500 miles for a reason.
+1 on the trickle charge is the only thing you need to do.
enjoy.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Agree re a couple of weeks (it will have been stood longer than that before it got delivered etc and do you do this at the airport car park etc?) but if it is months then it is worth while

·
Registered
576 Posts
I work offshore so my car sits unused and ungaraged for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. All I do is start the car and take it for a drive of about 15-20 miles but don't go above 3000 rpm and build the revs slowly. My engine gets this treatment every 5 weeks and is still running sweet so it must work. Mind you if you can find a straight quiet bit of road so that you can test your brakes. I find that the surface corrosion on them requires them to be given a few good hard stamps of the brake pedal from about 40mph to clean them up.

After that you'll be back to normal with a big grin on your face

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its a Focus, not an Enzo. I wouldnt worry too much with a starting procedure. I believe most manufacturers now recommend driving off without idiling as idiling prevents the oil from circulating well within the engine.

All the other recommendations re: storage are spot on. I also tend to get my tyre pressures correct if the car was going to be standing still for a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE(indyjukebox @ 14 Feb 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its a Focus, not an Enzo. I wouldnt worry too much with a starting procedure. I believe most manufacturers now recommend driving off without idiling as idiling prevents the oil from circulating well within the engine.

All the other recommendations re: storage are spot on. I also tend to get my tyre pressures correct if the car was going to be standing still for a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Due to a long stay in hospital , my ST sat in the garage for over 10 weeks, and consequenly the alarm & imobiliser flattened the battery.

My first instinct was to use a mates booster kit to get it going, but after talking to a friend at Fords, I was told not to do that. His concerns were that when you boost the car, which is absolutley flat, you may blow ignition or lighting modules. The best way is to trickle charge the battery for as long as you can, silver calcium batteries do not like big charges put back into them.

I charged mine for 24 hours at around 2 amps. When I reconnected the battery terminal, I had to open the car manually, key fob didn't work. Once in the car the alarm went off and would only stop when the key was put in the ignition. I checked for warning codes etc, and she fired up first time. I left it ticking over for a few minutes, till the temperature started to rise, and then gave it a swft 20 minute run.

Car's been fine ever since, next job is to get a new inter cooler, which one to go for...decisions decisions

Dave

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
QUOTE(Smiffyman @ 14 Feb 2010, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Due to a long stay in hospital , my ST sat in the garage for over 10 weeks, and consequenly the alarm & imobiliser flattened the battery.

My first instinct was to use a mates booster kit to get it going, but after talking to a friend at Fords, I was told not to do that. His concerns were that when you boost the car, which is absolutley flat, you may blow ignition or lighting modules. The best way is to trickle charge the battery for as long as you can, silver calcium batteries do not like big charges put back into them.

I charged mine for 24 hours at around 2 amps. When I reconnected the battery terminal, I had to open the car manually, key fob didn't work. Once in the car the alarm went off and would only stop when the key was put in the ignition. I checked for warning codes etc, and she fired up first time. I left it ticking over for a few minutes, till the temperature started to rise, and then gave it a swft 20 minute run.

Car's been fine ever since, next job is to get a new inter cooler, which one to go for...decisions decisions

Dave
My ST sat untouched for 6 weeks over christmas just there, used a booster to get it started and had no issues, drove straight away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts