Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Took the wife to work christmas party tonight, basically as entering the premises theres a good 1 mile road to get in there, national speed limit road, doing about 40mph as it's pitch black, speed bump in road (wait for it, PAINTED BLACK!) - didnt see it @ all, smash.... car feels fine, albeit a little "skatey" - like tramlining - but what should i be checking? Really not impressed, always paranoid after things like this, and come on, painted black on a black road? Imagine if i was doing 50/60 as the road allows. Not happy at all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ok, owned pretty bad in more ways than one, but seriously, a big ass speed hump painted black on a black national speed limit road? Not funny. We're not talking one of the forgiving ones, we're talking one of the suspensions destroyers.

I know, i said that.
Sorry mate was trying to be light hearted but I know how bad this can be I hit a pot hole in my old z tech s on my way home from work and the alloy buckled. Hopefully the council can compensate you. It could be worse you could live in Belfast at the min and be in fear of your car being set on fire in the riots. That's what I'm dealing with at the min

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I'd be seriously going back and checking that out. There's absolutely no sane reason any council would put a speed hump on an NSL road...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
sounds a bit mad deffo worth revisiting that road in the daytime to look for speed signs etc...

Car.... Check underside and geometry one would have thought

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry loudnproud about your car and genuinley hope its ok but if there is a speed bump on an NSL road I will convert to a 1.0l diesel tomorrow! No chance!! Prove me wrong (pic or written evidence) and I will humbly apologise. Hate speed bumps with a passion but to put them on a 60mph road is total negligence.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've only come across that once in my life before - was driving around rural lincolnshire and came out of a 60mph national speed limit zone into a small town and I think the first thing on the outskirts of town was a school with a 20 limit so was a whacking great speed bump. I'm not talking sleeping policeman type, but one of those raised speed bump section of the road type deals that they put a crossing on top of or something. I hit it at a fair rate! I was slowing down, dont get me wrong, but I wasn't expecting to have to slam on the anchors to go from 60 to 20, I was just sort of rolling decellerating. was a proper dukes of hazard moment.

Sadly the incident ruined the night as it had an adverse effect on my lady friend passenger, who managed to bang her head during the short flight rendering her legs sealed shut tight as a ducks
!

nothing broken on the car though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can tell the difference between a speed bump across the road and a pot hole. I'm also pretty good at recognising a NSL sign. I'm tempted to drive the 20 miles back to where it was just to prove my point, not that I should have to. Never ever ever seen this before myself, I didn't even have chance to anchor on because the thing was black on a black road.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I can tell the difference between a speed bump across the road and a pot hole. I'm also pretty good at recognising a NSL sign. I'm tempted to drive the 20 miles back to where it was just to prove my point, not that I should have to. Never ever ever seen this before myself, I didn't even have chance to anchor on because the thing was black on a black road.
It wasnt a private road going down to the venue was it?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Not sure if its private but its through woodland into the venue and clear NSL signs all the way down it then this random speed bump, if it was reflective it would be fine but black!?
Seriously I can understand your upset, I would be too. All im thinking is that if its private they can do what they want with the road, but you have got every right to expect signage indicating speed humps, even more so if it is signposted up as NSL. I would go back and have a good look in the daylight, take photos if you feel you have the need to make a claim for damage. Then have a look into who's responsibility that particular section of road is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seriously I can understand your upset, I would be too. All im thinking is that if its private they can do what they want with the road, but you have got every right to expect signage indicating speed humps, even more so if it is signposted up as NSL. I would go back and have a good look in the daylight, take photos if you feel you have the need to make a claim for damage. Then have a look into who's responsibility that particular section of road is.
Thanks for the advice I'm going to do that. Think I need to check car too not sure if paranoia but feels a bit twitchy since, could be my head playing tricks on me.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts