Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Noob Alert !! Advice Please...

774 views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  tonyrobertsgonga 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing this: Focus ST <-----Click

The price @ 9,999.00 seems ok to me....

What Is the ST like to live with on a day to day basis ? This would have to be my daily driver, to get to work (5miles each way) and pop to the shops......you get the idea.

Will the st fit inside a regular garage ? Ok I have the Focus dimentions and on paper ( which is all I have to go on ) the st fits.... Now weather I will be able to exit the car once inside the garage is another matter. I dont have the garage dimentions to hand but it's size is what I would describe as a normal modern house garage. Can anyone answer this ?

Other than the cost of fuel ( in the region of 24 mpg ? ) and tyres are there any other factors I need to consider which would not be an issue with a non-sporty type of car... I am not being tight, but I have three kids and money is an issue.

I know more questions will come to mind and so I will ask as and when they do.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
QUOTE(Mike-B @ 22 Feb 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing this: Focus ST <-----Click

The price @ 9,999.00 seems ok to me....

What Is the ST like to live with on a day to day basis ? This would have to be my daily driver, to get to work (5miles each way) and pop to the shops......you get the idea.

Will the st fit inside a regular garage ? Ok I have the Focus dimentions and on paper ( which is all I have to go on ) the st fits.... Now weather I will be able to exit the car once inside the garage is another matter. I dont have the garage dimentions to hand but it's size is what I would describe as a normal modern house garage. Can anyone answer this ?

Other than the cost of fuel ( in the region of 24 mpg ? ) and tyres are there any other factors I need to consider which would not be an issue with a non-sporty type of car... I am not being tight, but I have three kids and money is an issue.

I know more questions will come to mind and so I will ask as and when they do.

Thanks for your help.

i do short stop start trips to my work mate and im only getting 18mpg.

#3 ·
QUOTE(Mike-B @ 22 Feb 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,I am thinking of purchasing this: Focus ST <-----ClickThe price @ 9,999.00 seems ok to me....What Is the ST like to live with on a day to day basis ? This would have to be my daily driver, to get to work (5miles each way) and pop to the shops......you get the idea.Will the st fit inside a regular garage ? Ok I have the Focus dimentions and on paper ( which is all I have to go on ) the st fits.... Now weather I will be able to exit the car once inside the garage is another matter. I dont have the garage dimentions to hand but it's size is what I would describe as a normal modern house garage. Can anyone answer this ?Other than the cost of fuel ( in the region of 24 mpg ? ) and tyres are there any other factors I need to consider which would not be an issue with a non-sporty type of car... I am not being tight, but I have three kids and money is an issue.I know more questions will come to mind and so I will ask as and when they do.Thanks for your help.I use mine daily fror work 12miles each way down the dual carriageway. Its an awesome reason to want to go to work and a even better reason to want to come home again! Regards fuel on short sharp trips expect more like 18mpg. Tyres are every 12000 miles on the fronts for me at approx £60 a corner. An absolute joy to drive and I've loved every minute of mine. One thing I will say is if money is a problem now (and I presume you have something sensible like a Scenic or Vectra) then the ST will blitz your current car costs. Dont forget the insurance and tax.QUOTE(stingy @ 22 Feb 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i do short stop start trips to my work mate and im only getting 18mpg.
Damn you ninja poster!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds a reasonable price if it is indeed an ST2, as pointed out, if it has no headlamp washers it will be an ST1 so could potentially have less toys. I would go see it and ask. Another thing I recommend when buying a car is printing off the given specs and check each and every one. It can be very easy to read a description, go see the car, love the power and purchase it thinking you got, say, heated seats, only to realise the
lied on his advert. If anything is inaccurate it might give you a bartering edge
(although having said that, they don't exactly give much detail about what's on the car
)

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
These comments are fantastic.... thank you all so much and keep them coming.

At the moment I have a Fiesta ST..... not a scenic or whatever as somone suggested.....lol, and to be honest I wont hear a bad word said against the Fiesta st.... its been great but it's simply too small, and fyi driving it like a granny I get get 30 mpg.

QUOTE(mrmadmatt @ 22 Feb 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The car your interested in seems a fair price but does it have the xenons i can see it has no headlamp washers is there any other extras i.e climate control, reverse sensors

The car is listed as an st 2 but I will check the specs fore sure.

Once again thankyou all

#17 ·
No problem 4 that. I think you will not find a mint st2 with full ford service history etc on an 06 plate for less than 11k i paid 12k on an 06 with 28000 from ford but that was 6 months ago, All the extras xenons, headlamp washers, reverse sensors, absolutely mint inside and out. Just a rough guidline 4 you

#20 ·
i went from a fiesta st to a focus st, and the difference in petrol consumption is unreal.

Seeing your age i wouldnt consider insurance being an issue - but if money is an issue i wouldnt look into a focus.

Im currently in the process of chaning down as i have bitten off more than i can chew regarding running a focus!

#21 ·
I have a 6 mile trip each way to work across town in the rush hour. All stop and start, traffic lights, roundabouts, queues etc and I only get 18-19 through the week. I don't gun it as there's no opportunity to but neither do I drive like a granny!!!
The weekends are different though
Still love my ST though, wouldn't part with it for anything (okay, maybe for an RS, M3, RS4.............)

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just my ten pence worth...fits into a standard size garage with no problems,fuel is as everyone says especially if your stop starting...around town I get about 20 mpg and on a long run @ 70mph Ill return around 34mpg no problem.

As for tyres well Ive just chnaged my rears at 26k and my fronts went at 23k, depends how you drive really, as for £100 a corner well that depends what you want...a lot of us on here have gone for the FALKEN ZE912 and thats what Ive just got at £55 a corner,fantastic grip in wet and dry infact I cant tell the difference between them and the original CONTINENTALS.

As for insurance, Im 39,full no claims,protected ect,nice area and Im paying £300 fully comp.

Im not exactly made of money and Id say all round that for the type of car that the ST is you get a lot for your money and the running costs are not really all that bad.

HTH

Nick

#25 ·
More very interesting comments... Thank-you all for these.

QUOTE(Glenster @ 22 Feb 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i went from a fiesta st to a focus st, and the difference in petrol consumption is unreal.

Seeing your age i wouldnt consider insurance being an issue - but if money is an issue i wouldnt look into a focus.

Im currently in the process of changing down as i have bitten off more than i can chew regarding running a focus!

Glenster, do you regret your buying the Focus st in the first place, and would you continue ownership if it wasn't so thirsty ?

Have had an insurance quote and believe it or not it's three quid cheaper than my Fiesta ST.... so I have been totaly ripped off or have found a great deal on the Focus....tbh I am not sure which !

On another note nobody has mentioned mechanical issues / costs..... new clutch for example. Would be interested to have your thoughts.

Once again many thanks to you all.

#26 ·
QUOTE(Mike-B @ 23 Feb 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glenster, do you regret your buying the Focus st in the first place, and would you continue ownership if it wasn't so thirsty ?

Have had an insurance quote and believe it or not it's three quid cheaper than my Fiesta ST.... so I have been totaly ripped off or have found a great deal on the Focus....tbh I am not sure which !

On another note nobody has mentioned mechanical issues / costs..... new clutch for example. Would be interested to have your thoughts.

Once again many thanks to you all.

I dont regret buying it at all - Its one of the best cars ive had and will probably remain that for a very long time. I would continue ownership if it wasnt costing 50 quid a week i think, but even then insurance is still an issue for me - but if it wasnt so thirsty it would have a smaller engine which would change the insurance and tax so cant really comment on that!

If i didnt have to get rid of it i wouldnt at the end of the day - but paying out 600-700 a month to just impress people in the pub by saying "i have a focus st" is ludicrus. If i could have one without a finance agreement on it so that cuts £200 a month id have another.

Regarding your comment about mechanical issues - it depends alot on the car i think! a big thing is alternaters i think but ive not had mine long enough to have any problems, ive done 5k in it and all its done it sup petrol and not skipped a beat. But i would imagine the older they get the more troublesome they get, especially with a turbo!

If you can afford it - go for it! you will be
everyday! but do prepare your local petrol station to be going
and the missus
when ur cleaning it alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.