Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey guys dunno if anyone knows the answer to this question for me?

jus got me renewal through and it says i have 6yrs no claims protection and to my recollection i have 8 minimum

been on road since 01' i lost a yr wen i cancelled policy early for my 2nd yr

i had a claim in dec 06 not my fault (other driver admitted liability PLUS i had my no claims protected!!

im gonna ring up ins company on mon n enquire but if anyone can help me in the meantime etc

IS THERE SOMETHING IM MISSING?

does it just mean 6yrs is max no claims direct line offer (altho on their site i can enter 8 yrs no claims)

thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
You are probably right (haven't dealt wiht Direct Line for a few years) but it is not unusal for insurers to only provide proof of NCD upto their maximum, usually 5 years regardless of what you went to them with.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This happened to me. I provided proof of 6 years no claims and when I left I only received proof of 5.

Slightely irritating but I don't think there is a price difference after 5 years to be honest

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yer i wont think theres a massive diff but emailed green light n asked to amend quote it is annoyin that they cant put 8 then put 5/6 max on their policy renewal notice wud make it easier

thanks for everyones advice tho

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Even if you went to a company with 9 years, if you had a bump and weren't protect they woudl put you down to 3 years, I doubt they give much if any extra discount for years 7 and up otherwise they would end up paying us for insurance

·
Vendor
709 Posts
QUOTE(paul-stfoc @ 30 Jan 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey guys dunno if anyone knows the answer to this question for me?

jus got me renewal through and it says i have 6yrs no claims protection and to my recollection i have 8 minimum

been on road since 01' i lost a yr wen i cancelled policy early for my 2nd yr

i had a claim in dec 06 not my fault (other driver admitted liability PLUS i had my no claims protected!!

im gonna ring up ins company on mon n enquire but if anyone can help me in the meantime etc

IS THERE SOMETHING IM MISSING?

does it just mean 6yrs is max no claims direct line offer (altho on their site i can enter 8 yrs no claims)

thanks in advance

It may be it's the maximum with that particular company and if this is the case, when insuring with us for instance, we would just ask for proof of old NCB's so we can add them all together.

Therefore, just keep all your renewal notices each year.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,194 Posts
QUOTE([email protected] @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Therefore, just keep all your renewal notices each year.

Problem there Tim is that renewal notices don't mention NCB on them - or at least the ones I've had over the years don't. Always have to ask company to confirm NCB in a letter to get it in writing.

It would be so much more convenient if it was on the renewals though.

·
Vendor
709 Posts
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 1 Feb 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Problem there Tim is that renewal notices don't mention NCB on them - or at least the ones I've had over the years don't. Always have to ask company to confirm NCB in a letter to get it in writing.

It would be so much more convenient if it was on the renewals though.

Tbh, you should be receiving notification of your NCB each year from your insurers.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Hi Tim the probelm with your idea comes when you have to give your entitlement to the new insurer so I can't send it to you the year later etc.

Out of interest how does NCD work on your scheme e.g.

1 year 30%
2 years 40%
3 years 50%
4 years 60%
5 years 65%
6?
7?
8?
9?

and what would your renewal say if you had a bump without NCD prtect say if you had 9 years.

I am interested as I have never worked for an insurer etc who goes over 5 years (no one used to do this and it seems to be a new-ish thing at brokers rather than direct business)

·
Registered
118 Posts
ok guys heard bk 2day it is to do with maximum insurers will go to

however greenlight max is 5 so long as i can prove i have 6 then their quote will not change so that'll do me

i still got a few others insurers to try tho may aswell

will see how low i can get

·
Vendor
709 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 1 Feb 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tim the probelm with your idea comes when you have to give your entitlement to the new insurer so I can't send it to you the year later etc.

1 year 30%
2 years 40%
3 years 50%
4 years 60%
5 years 65%
6?
7?
8?
9?

and what would your renewal say if you had a bump without NCD prtect say if you had 9 years.

I am interested as I have never worked for an insurer etc who goes over 5 years (no one used to do this and it seems to be a new-ish thing at brokers rather than direct business)

I would say it's prudent to take a copy of NCB proof before sending the original off.

Re NCB scale, it continues at 65% after 5 years though some go up to 70% at 9 years. It differs with some companies.

Re the bump if 9 years unprotected, you usually reduce to 3 years NCB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 1 Feb 2010, 11:28 PM) Hi Tim the probelm with your idea comes when you have to give your entitlement to the new insurer so I can't send it to you the year later etc.

1 year 30%
2 years 40%
3 years 50%
4 years 60%
5 years 65%
6?
7?
8?
9?

I would say it's prudent to take a copy of NCB proof before sending the original off.

Re NCB scale, it continues at 65% after 5 years though some go up to 70% at 9 years. It differs with some companies.

Re the bump if 9 years unprotected, you usually reduce to 3 years NCB.
I'm currently at 9 years NCB and with esure it's 71%. Shame if 9 years is the limit - wouldn't it be great if you had 30 years no claim and had a discount of 99.9%

1 - 14 of 14 Posts