Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

i have a mate who has just purchased one of these cars, and he is looking to do an hid upgrade, however not sure on the mot status of these as some people have said if levellers and washers are fitted they need to be working but if none are fitted then its ok as long as the light is aligned fine. secondly whats the law with decatting on imported cars? still the same or are they exempt?

thanks all

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
This has been discussed several times.... New cars have the washers and auto levellers because they have to. However it is not an MoT failure to have xenon headlights without washers or levellers. You'll only fail an MoT on washers and levellers if they are fitted and don't work. I wouldn't personally do the upgrade as the washers and levellers are there to help reduce glaring other drivers - how often have you sworn at somebody with badly adjusted headlights who has blinded you?

As far as the decat goes I think it's all about emissions - as long as the emissions level is met I think it should pass the MoT. Not 100% on that though.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This is my other car and I'm thinking of converting this, it does have head light washers and it also has the lenses to focus the beam, I belive for gas discharge you have to have the washers and lenses.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
As you've mentioned "Spec R" I'm assuming this is an S15? If so, it'll need a cat to pass the MOT. Some S15's left the factory with HID's so might be worth scouring the net for a pair of lamps. They won't be cheap mind you

Same for the Z32 above, iirc 99 onwards were available with HID's.

For future reference, the ONLY 200sx/Silvia that doesn't require a CAT is the S13, even if it's registered after 1993 as the CA18DET engine isn't in the MOT "book"
. I don't think that applied to 180SX's though as they left the factory with the SR20DET engine, which is in the book.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes its the s15, ok will tell him, also i believe from reading that the standard light housings are projectors so should help with fitting hid bulbs. thanks all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts