Ford Focus ST Forum banner

New wheels or painting my old one?

815 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CAFXR5 
#1 ·
Keeping it simple,i am looking at changing the colours of my wheels. But there are multiple ways of doing this and would like to hear some opinions

1. Getting my current wheels powder-coated
  2. Getting my current wheels painted
  3. Getting a new set of wheels (Looking at Team dynamics Pro race 1.2)

Anyone have any experience in having their wheels powder-coated or painted what do you recommend?

#2 ·
I had my wheels painted and they didn't look great to be honest, from a distance yes, close up you could see they had been sprayed. Personally I would get them powder coated, professional job, can choose any colour and they usually sort out any defects with the wheel at the same time

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well after having both painted and powder coated I have found the over time that the paint tends to last better, as when I stone chips with the powder coating the powder coat it peeled off in big pieces where the paint was just a chip and touched up with a bit of paint and they looked as good as new.

I painted both my XR5 and Octavia rims in the shed with the dupli colour base then coated with the 2pak gloss clear. Pics are not the best but?

Attachments

#4 ·
I painted mine as a DIY refurb and although not perfect was pretty good especially for a first try. But it's not very hard wearing and I need to redo them. Most tyre places are useless and they get damaged.

Powder coating is tougher so arguably better, most say that's the best way to go but going on the above comment looks worse when they do get damaged and harder to touch up again.

If you like the new wheels that's a nice option. I wouldn't go that route because I love the standard design

#6 ·
Well after having both painted and powder coated I have found the over time that the paint tends to last better, as when I stone chips with the powder coating the powder coat it peeled off in big pieces where the paint was just a chip and touched up with a bit of paint and they looked as good as new.

I painted both my XR5 and Octavia rims in the shed with the dupli colour base then coated with the 2pak gloss clear. Pics are not the best but?
Well this is what i was looking for, someone who has done both. Doesn't powdercoating also take car of any blemishes your wheels has?

I painted mine as a DIY refurb and although not perfect was pretty good especially for a first try. But it's not very hard wearing and I need to redo them. Most tyre places are useless and they get damaged.

Powder coating is tougher so arguably better, most say that's the best way to go but going on the above comment looks worse when they do get damaged and harder to touch up again.

If you like the new wheels that's a nice option. I wouldn't go that route because I love the standard design
Ye i have fallen in love standard design hence i much rather have the paint changed.

I'd stick with refinishing and there's lots of feed back on here from members who have had both paint and powdercoat finishes.
Isn't refinishing just painting with extra steps?

#8 ·
Well this is what i was looking for, someone who has done both. Doesn't powdercoating also take car of any blemishes your wheels has

I had mine powder coated when brand new so there no blemishes, again though when they were fitted with tyres the rubber did actually stain the coating.

the pics show the powder coat when I tried to fix/repair again not the best pic.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.