Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening.

I currently don't have cruise control at the mo but I'm looking at buying a newly trimmed steering wheel which has the cruise control buttons. If I do a direct replacement will all the connections from my car fit the new steering wheel, if not how would I go about fitting it and then programming cruise control to work?
My car is the facelift ST (2016).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Is the car petrol or diesel? The petrols are generally easier to activate cruise control in. For the diesel you need the UCDS program and lead from Russia. Otherwise Terry Evans is your Man, he's converted loads of these car to cruise control over the years - I'm lead to believe he's uses a few of the facebook groups so can probably be contacted through thosse.

As for the steering wheel, I believe they're all wired up the same, but don't take my word for it! Some of the cruise buttons are layed out slightly differently model to model, so might be worth taking off your wheel to check the part number matches the new one.

To remove, disconnect battery (very important when messing with the airbag!!!). Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column to enable you to gain access to the back of the wheel To get the airbag out there are two clips that sit inside the areas i've marked (they are clips which are fitted to the airbag and hook over the feet at the bottom that you can see sticking out). To Release the clips slide a very small screwdriver or pick down the little curved channel and release the clip as you lightly lift the airbag away from the steering wheel. Sometimes after releasing one clip it will click back in as you try to release the other side!!!!
Eyewear Automotive tire Automotive design Art Rim

The problem here being is that it's easier with the wheel turned 90 degrees..... but then when one is done, you have to turn the wheel the other way!! I didn't tell you to do this but what I did was turn the wheel one way...switch off and release the clip, then switch on...turn the other way and release the clip, then switch off and disconnect the battery and leave to stand for 20 minutes or so before disconnecting the airbag just in case there is any residual power left in it. But I didn't tell you to do it that way lol and I claim no responsibility if the airbag goes off!!
Once the bag is lifted away from the steering wheel, take a photo on your phone of where the wires go to help you to put it back together. Disconnect the wires (slide the orange clip outwards on the yellow connector before trying to remove the yellow part). You then need a ratchet, extension bar and 24mm socket, undo and remove the bolt then the wheel should lift straight off as you wiggle some of the wires out of the hole in the back. Just be careful that the clockspring stays in place as the wheel comes off.
Refitting is the reverse, but threadlock the wheel back on and torque it up.

Cruise can be enabled with forscan on the petrol I believe, but like I say, you need UCDS for the diesel.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the petrol so just Forscan then, just hoping the connections are the same. If not I'll have to take the cruise control buttons out and put my current ones in. To move the steering wheel I'll put it on jack stands so the steering wheel is easy to turn. By the way, whats the ****spring?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I did mine in my old fiesta st180. It had to be an ST-2 at least i think as they ST-1s didn't have the same looms. Could be different with the Focus though. I just activated in Forscan after that.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I did mine in my old fiesta st180. It had to be an ST-2 at least i think as they ST-1s didn't have the same looms. Could be different with the Focus though. I just activated in Forscan after that.
The fiesta is meant to be a lot easier to activate things on, apparently it doesn't have the Secondary Boot Loader files that the focus has.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Is the car petrol or diesel? The petrols are generally easier to activate cruise control in. For the diesel you need the UCDS program and lead from Russia. Otherwise Terry Evans is your Man, he's converted loads of these car to cruise control over the years - I'm lead to believe he's uses a few of the facebook groups so can probably be contacted through thosse.

As for the steering wheel, I believe they're all wired up the same, but don't take my word for it! Some of the cruise buttons are layed out slightly differently model to model, so might be worth taking off your wheel to check the part number matches the new one.

To remove, disconnect battery (very important when messing with the airbag!!!). Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column to enable you to gain access to the back of the wheel To get the airbag out there are two clips that sit inside the areas i've marked (they are clips which are fitted to the airbag and hook over the feet at the bottom that you can see sticking out). To Release the clips slide a very small screwdriver or pick down the little curved channel and release the clip as you lightly lift the airbag away from the steering wheel. Sometimes after releasing one clip it will click back in as you try to release the other side!!!! View attachment 903578

The problem here being is that it's easier with the wheel turned 90 degrees..... but then when one is done, you have to turn the wheel the other way!! I didn't tell you to do this but what I did was turn the wheel one way...switch off and release the clip, then switch on...turn the other way and release the clip, then switch off and disconnect the battery and leave to stand for 20 minutes or so before disconnecting the airbag just in case there is any residual power left in it. But I didn't tell you to do it that way lol and I claim no responsibility if the airbag goes off!!
Once the bag is lifted away from the steering wheel, take a photo on your phone of where the wires go to help you to put it back together. Disconnect the wires (slide the orange clip outwards on the yellow connector before trying to remove the yellow part). You then need a ratchet, extension bar and 24mm socket, undo and remove the bolt then the wheel should lift straight off as you wiggle some of the wires out of the hole in the back. Just be careful that the clockspring stays in place as the wheel comes off.
Refitting is the reverse, but threadlock the wheel back on and torque it up.

Cruise can be enabled with forscan on the petrol I believe, but like I say, you need UCDS for the diesel.

Hope this helps!
I dont think this holds true anymore, and i was worried about this when i retrofitted my GF's, i changed my steering wheel and gave my girlfriend my old heated one with cruise buttons, the cruise buttons are the ones from the USA as i kept my UK ones. Never the less, i installed it on her 1.6 desiel 2015 zetec s, facelift model and enabled it in forscan and it works a charm. She is getting like 51mpg now to and from work and uses it all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts