Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Looks like it's in slow motion!
Drag races dont prove anything though IMO unless you're interested in playing traffic light grand prix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like that game
lol I like that game to haha

i have had bit play with a new rs and off the mark till bout 20 30 mph it had little advantage but after that I was able to pull on it and pass it.

That prob down to all modifications i have done. Imagine what rs would go like if that had chip, full exhaust, bigger intercooler etc. Now that would be interesting to watch

·
Registered
252 Posts
On a track that tight the clios better handling matches the RS extra power, a small lightweight supermini is always gona be better in really tight corners than a lardy hatch back.

RS would be faster on a well balanced track, think the clio diver might be a bit braver aswell.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Saying that I had a clio before my ST and I had nothing go wrong with it. It was a good little car even if it is French.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Went to a Ford dealer today to take my folks to order a new Mondeo. While there, i started talking to the chap about what car i had. Then we got on to the RS, so he asked if i had my licence on me, which i did, and he gave me the keys to the demo one.

All i can say is that first clip, the driver must be a usless
.... The RS is freaking fast once in second. I love it. Its just an amazing all round car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nevermind a RS!! You wanna see a car do a super fast start 0-60 watch my wife get in her little Corsa when she gets news of a shoe sale in town !!

·
Registered
275 Posts
To be honest I would expect a 300bhp ST to beat an RS. Not by much though. Its like when EVO mag put a mountune ST against an RS and it beat the RS everywhere apart from top-end and a timed lap. So a 300bhp+ ST would definately be quicker than an RS. Although the outcome might vary depending on different maps.
I have been in a 340bhp RS and that felt really quick though. Much quicker than a standard RS and where as a tuned ST feels all turbo, a tuned RS feels like its the engine that does the work not just the turbo. Hope I make sense

Just to add I was out on a nice early morning sunday drive before the roads get busy and I came across a ferrari california. He gunned it a bit so I started to follow as you do on a nice early sunday morning. We were not racing, just putting a bit of power down through some bends. Me listening to my dreamscience induction kit dump itself and him listening to his V8. I didn't get too close to him as I didn't want to
him off (it does my head in when someones sitting on your bumper) so I gave him about a few cars distance. His mate in the passenger seat seemed very surprised when I could keep up and he could probably hear the dump from my induction kit and bangs from the exhaust.
We came on to a long straight and he couldn't even gain an extra cars distance away from me. I was quite shocked and it goes to show that a 300bhp ST is pretty quick although it doesn't feel that quick because MOD-C is a smooth map.
We came to a roundabout, he went right and I went straight on and we exchanged beep beep on the horns.
He might have been a bit of a girly driver on the twisties (I'd be if I was in a ferrari too), or perhaps the extra passenger made his ferrari a bit slower
,and from a standing start he would have panned me, but from a tight bend (from 45ish mph in 3rd going up through the gears) and on to a straight he definately gave it his all. I would have loved to chat to him just to see what his thoughts were.

It certainly put a smile on my face

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nice story

I dont think his extra passenger made much difference though. It was more the fact the the California is actually 1735Kg. So about 350Kg heavier than us. And it has 460bhp.

So 1735/460= 3.7 Kg per 1bhp
The modded ST is lets say 1400 Kg so : 1400/300= 4.6Kg per bhp

So yes its more powerfull but not by a mile. And the ST has about the same torque (the Ferrari has 480Nm).

It is impressive though, and really does bring a smile to your face. Because just image if you spent another 5000 on the ST, it would become quicker than a supercar.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've been out a few RS's that are standard and they are mapped to feel much faster than an ST. Whereas my Mountune is much smoother the RS was rather more savage with its delivery - however it certainly isn't faster however quick it feels.

Certainly a good story about the Ferrari, i've had a play with a Porsche or two and they were suprised to say the least lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts