Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Not my cup of team, but as a Fiesta ST owner - why is the Puma getting an extra 22lb ft of torque?

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,415 Posts
Probably to help with the extra weight of the hair dressing products it will have to carry. 😆

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Probably to compensate for the extra weight.
Yes, it is - however, my point is that if they can apply warranty to the engine with different performance characteristics (e.g. more torque) then why can't they do that to the Fiesta?

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,701 Posts
I don't know, it's fords way I guess. They've always had funny ideas with engines. Like the MK2 xr2 still being sent out with a carb cvh at the same time the xr3i was being built with the injection version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Price wise they're saying it'll be £28.5k so no doubt more like £30k with a few options added.

Any guesses what sort of PCP deals Ford will come up with? I'm guessing because of the Covid situation they need to come up with some good deals to ge the sales in.

Wife and I had a look at the new Yaris GR-4 few weeks ago (local dealership had one for the day and anyone who had expressed an interest on Toyota website got an invitation to have a look round it). They were offering 0% finance and 5 years warranty which I was surprised at, unfortunately it was a little to small (no doubt a fantastic drive tho) and at £35k the figures didn't work for us, hence why this Puma ST has got the wifes interest.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Still a Yaris, doesnt matter how much power, or how many spoilers they stick on it.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
But it's not really a Yaris, it's a rally car made to look like a Yaris
Exactly...

• Bespoke chassis with permanent 4WD (not the part time Haldex found on the Audi S1), wider rear track with double wishbones
  • Variable front/rear torque distribution (driver selectable)
  • 4pot calipers with 356mm discs
  • Entirely different body reworked for aerodynamics - wider, lower roof (91mm lower than a standard car), 3 door (not 5)
  • Lighter - carbon polymer roof and aluminium doors, bonnet and boot - 1280kg
  • 1.6 3pot with 257bhp / 265lb ft (world's highest output 3pot)
  • Proper gearbox
  • Torsen LSD option (on both axles) with the track pack
  • 18 inch forged alloys

Dodgy purple colour granny mobile it isn't...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still a Yaris, doesnt matter how much power, or how many spoilers they stick on it.
I can imagine similar narrow minded people on the GR forum saying "it's still a Focus, doesn't matter how much power or how many spoilers they stick on it".

Let's be honest, none of us are driving Bugatti's or LaFerrari's are we...

Back to the Puma ST, I wonder what Ford will be offering deal wise?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I repeat, still a Yaris, I says so on the boot, you can probably tell Im not a fan of jap stuff, just the way it is Im afraid. Trying its best to look like a golf from the front and god knows what they were thinking about the big fat rear end.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
I repeat, still a Yaris, I says so on the boot, you can probably tell Im not a fan of jap stuff, just the way it is Im afraid. Trying its best to look like a golf from the front and god knows what they were thinking about the big fat rear end.
It is a 'Homologation-special'.

It was intended to enable Toyota Gazoo Racing to use it's 3-door 'coupe' bodyshell (which has better aerodynamics) for their 2021 World Rally Car.

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2020/02/10/toyota-starts-testing-the-yaris-wrc-design-for-2021/

gsdzqzbjqpf41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Did Toyota build it themselves this time, or did they get Subaru or BMW to build it, like the other two sports cars in their range, maybe they should stick to making boring run of the mill, all be it reliable, runarounds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
maybe they should stick to making boring run of the mill, all be it reliable, runarounds.
I'm sure they will and being totally honest I've never been a fan of Jap stuff either, BUT if they can build boring, reliable stuff and then also come out with a crazy little 250+HP AWD manual pocket rocket (with a 5yr warranty) that blows the competitors (are there any?!) into the weeds, surely that's got to be admired?

I do get the badge snobbery thing to an extent but it's a Toyota not a SsangYong or Dacia.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts