Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, first time Focus ST owner. I’m not new to the hot hatch world having recently had a stage 2 Fiesta ST and a Megane RS.

Having the Meg in particular was awful and probably what’s causing this anxiety so I’m hoping for some advice.

I’ve just got my ST2 and done about 20 miles in it since collecting the other day. It’s 2015 on 58k. It has full service history and mot with no advisors.

it has a 3” custom exhaust on the back that has now been fitted with a cat by the garage for mot purposes (straightpiped).

My concern is that within 20 miles I’ve hit what I’m hoping is a flat spot at low revs in third gear. Foot down, nothing happens, change to second, the same, and then it picks up. All this in a few seconds. It’s like there a bogdown of lag that then goes and car picks up. Question to this, would a remap help this? Custom exhaust maybe needing work with a new map to help? Just an idea?

Worst thoughts are misfire. Had in Meg RS, Twingo RS. Same power drop but followed by the banging in the back of the misfire. The ST doesn’t do that. No auditory pop anyway. That said, this cost me a lot to fix. Coils, plugs, it all added up!

is there any way of maybe ruling out one or the other and if it is the cool etc what could I be looking at with cost.

cheers.
Rob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying this only occurred after the cat was fitted?
This is since I got the car from a dealership a couple of days ago.I don’t know how it was as a straight pipe system. I’m clutching at straws with that idea I think!

Also there is no engine management light on or any warnings. It just seemed strange that it’s done this, however it was in the pouring rain so could it have been a traction issue…..

Just trying to rule out different thing’s really

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
27,701 Posts
You at least have the option of taking it back to them.
I'd do a scan for fault codes first as it's perfectly possible to have codes (real and pending) that don't bring on a warning lamp.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
27,701 Posts
Could be worth looking at this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be worth looking at this:
Thanks for this! It definitely looks a similar issue and an easy fix dare I say! I’ll look later. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts