Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

First post on here.
Decided to stick with Ford after a nightmare with my old 2017 focus. 2 x blown turbos and a new oil pump. Decided to trade that in and go for the MK4 focus st with 7k miles on the clock.
Loving it so far, just bought some Eibach springs for it and awaiting for my local garage to open.
Also thinking about the DS map.
Anyway here is a clean picture of it.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle Car

Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,312 Posts
Hey!

First post on here.
Decided to stick with Ford after a nightmare with my old 2017 focus. 2 x blown turbos and a new oil pump.
Have to ask, did you let the turbo cool down before switching it off? If no be prepared for the turbo in the ST to blow too.

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
2,018 Posts
Have to ask, did you let the turbo cool down before switching it off? If no be prepared for the turbo in the ST to blow too.
Makes me cringe when you see people pull in off the motorway in their turbocharged cars and knock the engine straight off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I always give it a minute..Issue was down to a blocked oil pump which was starving the turbo of oil.. bit of a nightmare but it’s all good now it’s gone.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,312 Posts
Yeah I always give it a minute..Issue was down to a blocked oil pump which was starving the turbo of oil.. bit of a nightmare but it’s all good now it’s gone.
Never ceases to amaze me how may people do it. Had to ask. Welcome to the club!

FWIW my mk 2 handbook says run it for a few minutes or words to that effect before switching off after running on boost.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
Just need to drive off boost the last mile or so then there's no need to sit waiting when you stop.

EcoBoost engines are quite highly stressed though and especially compared to the Mk2 2.5T.

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,745 Posts
Nice car but I presume that line under the rear bumper is a manhole cover on your drive because at first glance it looks like you have a strange attachment hanging off the bottom of your bumper?!!??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice car but I presume that line under the rear bumper is a manhole cover on your drive because at first glance it looks like you have a strange attachment hanging off the bottom of your bumper?!!??
yeah it’s a drain on my drive 😂

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Makes me cringe when you see people pull in off the motorway in their turbocharged cars and knock the engine straight off.
Why's that? Surely that's the best place to be to keep a turbo cool. I always just switch my car off unless I've been driving quick I'll then put my heaters on full hot and drive sensible for a few miles then sit on the drive or in the works car park for a min so it cools a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Why's that? Surely that's the best place to be to keep a turbo cool. I always just switch my car off unless I've been driving quick I'll then put my heaters on full hot and drive sensible for a few miles then sit on the drive or in the works car park for a min so it cools a bit.
I missed off the motorway services bit, 70±mph for hours at a time then knock the car straight off.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,312 Posts
I missed off the motorway services bit, 70±mph for hours at a time then knock the car straight off.
At a steady throttle at 70 mph my car is not boosting. The purpose of letting it run for a bit before switching off if you have been ragging it is to allow the turbo to cool down. Driving off boost for a few miles before parrking will do that.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
At a steady throttle at 70 mph my car is not boosting. The purpose of letting it run for a bit before switching off if you have been ragging it is to allow the turbo to cool down. Driving off boost for a few miles before parrking will do that.
This is what confused me. The car will be getting cool air at a speed of 70mph in 6th gear. You can't get any better than that.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
But it's still spinning and has hot exhaust gases passing through regardless of whether it was under boost or not, and shutting the engine cuts the oil supply. Either way my turbo is on 105k miles running modxrs and in perfect condition so will continue in the way I always have.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,312 Posts
But it's still spinning and has hot exhaust gases passing through regardless of whether it was under boost or not, and shutting the engine cuts the oil supply. Either way my turbo is on 105k miles running modxrs and in perfect condition so will continue in the way I always have.
Yes - but it is only spinning relatively slowly and the exhaust and turbo temps are nowhere near what they are on WOT for an extended period. At these temps if you switch off with no cooling down, the oil inthe turbo bearings will vapourise and the bearings will be damaged. After repeated instances they fail as do other bits of the turbo.

Look at the oil temp at 70 mph in top gear v the temp when ragging the car for an extended period. At 70 in top gear my oil temp is the same as pottering around town.

Doing what I do hasn't given me any issues and my car has over 129 k on it.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
If you're taking your oil temperature from the gauge pod then it's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. The mk2 st has no oil temperature sensor and the reading is estimated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts