Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had 2 new michelin sport ps2 fitted to the front on the car and they seam to slip under hard acceleration but only in 1st gear.

Pull away as normal but when the engine hits about 4 - 4.5k RPM the passengers side starts to spin and then the ESP light flashes.

Checked the pressure and they seam to be ok (33 PSI).

As soon as i get in the 2nd or 3rd and full power they are fine, braking is also fine!

The guy did not take the stickers off the tread so dont know if this would cause a problem, and after 60 - 70 miles they are not so bad!

Is this just because there new tyres or should I speak to kwik fit?

Thanks
Rob

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
The Michelin Sport PS2's are widely regarded as a superb tyre.

I suspect what you are experiencing is simply that your new rubber has not yet bedded in.

You could give Kwik Fit a call and voice your concerns, and see what they say. I suspect they will say something similar.

If the tyres are no better in a few hundred miles, at least you can refer back to the conversation you had with Kwik Fit with a view to getting whatever the problem ACTUALLY is fixed.

Best of luck....

·
Registered
379 Posts
im pretty sure new tyres will have some sort of protective film on them to stop perishing etc.

i wouldnt worry mate, especially as they are michelins. have faith in the name!

leave them at least 200 miles though to see if it improves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have thye same tyres and have the same problem, Especially when cold. But I have done about 400 miles on them now and they still spin up. Tyres shouldnt take that long to scrub in so I am as confused and concerned as you. Perhaps its just down to the bad weather and cold surfaces??

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I am on all PS2's too and have not had this problem either. I will try spinning them around 4k tomorrow to see if I can force it. My fronts have done around 1000miles now.

Make sure your tyre pressures are correct for an unloaded car 30psi

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
All new tyres will need some scrubbing in to reach full operating potential! In the present freezing temps this might well take a while too! When tyres are made the inside of the moulds are sprayed with a release agent to stop the tyre sticking! This obviously means the top layer of rubber will have this agent in it and not be as sticky! You can sometimes get a problem too with tyres that are very old (in age i mean rather than use!) that have been stored in high temperatures and lose the oils in the rubber which give it its grip! These are usually easy to spot though as the rubber takes on a grainy appearance and feel, the top surface will flake away rather than feeling solid to the touch!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hi Rob,

Well in the icey conditions I tried to get my wheels to spin and I have to say that I really struggled / failed to replicate your problems. Certainly pulling away normally from a junction I found it difficult to even hit 4-4.5k in first gear as this is quite high for the Volvo engine and you must really be pushing to hold onto 1st / 2nd until you hit this level. Remember that this car gives most of it's grunt low down although there is another kick of power around the 4-4.5k mark and perhaps it is this that is forcing the wheels to loose traction.

It was particularly difficult for me to replicate this as I am running the Superchips stage 1 map and as such the power delivery curve has been smoothed out so that you get more grunt lower down the revs and less of a kick in the back at the 4k mark.

Assuming you don't fancy modifying your car in a similar fashion I suggest you start changing gear around 3k mark to ensure you maintain good traction.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wait until you get the Mountune upgrade, then come back and tell us about wheelspin!

From what you said in your OP you're getting wet/cold weather wheelspin as the cam timing changes to its second phase, assuming that you're in attack mode, right?

Here's some interesting feedback on the tyre...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Pilot+Sport+PS2

Long life and great summer traction seems to sum up this impressive tyre...

Regards,
Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.