Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not seen or heard anyone express a view on the big change that's coming next month.

If you aren't sure what it will look and operate like, you'll find a couple of examples HERE and HERE.

I'd be interested to hear your views :)

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
Had a look at them ,not to sure about the layout,may get better with time ,will judge it when compared to the site we have now

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I'm not a fan, also I can't stand that huge advert that takes up the whole screen part way through a thread. One at the top or the bottom is fine, but a full screen one part way through just takes the ****ing ****.

·
Registered
MK3 FPM375 RS
312 Posts
Looks like a step backwards to me Im afraid, sorry 😞

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't elude the fact that the forum exists primarily as an advertising platform.

The new platform will be much better optimised to deliver that but it's down to the members to make their voices heard if the adverts are so intrusive they deter participation.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
You can't elude the fact that the forum exists primarily as an advertising platform.
The new platform will be much better optimised to deliver that but it's down to the members to make their voices heard if the adverts are so intrusive they deter participation.
I have always been an advocate for the paid membership on this forum, and I still am.

I also get the need for adverts that are both at the top and bottom as it doesn't intrude on the thread you are looking at, but to slap an advert straight in the middle of that thread, I think is taking the ****.

Will the advent of the additional revenue this will generate, does this mean that membership fees reduce, or the fees the site sponsors have to pay will be reduced? Will the admin team, that do a brilliant job become salaried? If the answer is No to all of these, then I for one will not renew.

I love this place, but the owners need to understand it is not them that make this the place it is, it is the site sponsors, the admin team and ultimately the members.

There seems to be a dramatic decline in activity of this forum, I know it might just be my perception, but that should raise a red flag with owners and without members, there is no revenue....simple!!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I'll be honest, i'm not liking that but I am a creature of habit who hates change.

Will current and legacy posts / threads carry over?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the existing stuff should transfer over pretty much as you see it although it will present a golden opportunity to tidy up structure.

I can imagine some upset if everyone has their post count reset to zero :lol:

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always been an advocate for the paid membership on this forum, and I still am.

I also get the need for adverts that are both at the top and bottom as it doesn't intrude on the thread you are looking at, but to slap an advert straight in the middle of that thread, I think is taking the ****.

Will the advent of the additional revenue this will generate, does this mean that membership fees reduce, or the fees the site sponsors have to pay will be reduced? Will the admin team, that do a brilliant job become salaried? If the answer is No to all of these, then I for one will not renew.

I love this place, but the owners need to understand it is not them that make this the place it is, it is the site sponsors, the admin team and ultimately the members.

There seems to be a dramatic decline in activity of this forum, I know it might just be my perception, but that should raise a red flag with owners and without members, there is no revenue....simple!!
The question of who is doing who the favour is a great philosophical debate!

Both sides benefit although the balance is not really even.

I don't know of any alternative forum that's anywhere near as good as this one so if it didn't exist that would be a big loss to me.

On the other hand, VS own a very large number of similar clubs so the existence or not of this particular one would make negligible difference to them.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
The question of who is doing who the favour is a great philosophical debate!
Both sides benefit although the balance is not really even.
I don't know of any alternative forum that's anywhere near as good as this one so if it didn't exist that would be a big loss to me.
On the other hand, VS own a very large number of similar clubs so the existence or not of this particular one would make negligible difference to them.
A very politically correct answer. A loss of a forum will be a loss in revenue whatever way you look at it.

Alb, I will be completely honest, I for one really appreciate what you do, and at times I can see that you are really trying to revive the forum and inject both conversation and traffic. I have some days looked on this forum at what would be deemed the busiest times and there are like 10 members on the forum. I look in new content and of the 8 new posts and you have been responsible for all of them!!

You have assisted me greatly, and so have several other members, I have met up with some brilliant people thanks to this forum and saved thousands of pounds and heeded alot of people's advice and experiences, but my appreciation is for those people not the owners, they get the money they have asked for.

Some of the awesome members on here don't even own STs anymore! What benefit do they get from paying their membership and now to have adverts slapped everywhere??

I agree, the forum is the best resource for resolving issues and problems, but that is due to the longevity of this site, it is like a library, how many times do you refer members to posts that were started 10 years ago!! I do think if the owners don't wake up and smell the coffee this forum will be in its twilight years.

I can still get those members opinions and advice from different media channels, no adverts on a WhatsApp channel! Also no adverts in the middle of a Facebook thread.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I can see this being the final nail in th coffin for a few members. Paying a membership and still having advertising hasn't bothered me with the current format as it's subtle but the way the new format rams it down your throat in an unavoidable way is pretty much a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
This is what has been posted up on the Talk Ford Forum on 12th May by AG Admin

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn't seem correct once the site goes live, don't panic! We'll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What's next?

I bet you're thinking, "What does this mean for me and the community?" It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You'll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member's contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

This was added on 20th May

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.
  • You will see me reply to the thread introducing myself.
  • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
What should you be doing now before this happens?
  • Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
When Will This All Happen?

TalkFord.com is currently scheduled for June 15, 2021. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, I will be here with you multiple times a day once the site goes live with the new platform, answering questions, and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes.
).gif

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I do understand everyone feelings in this but if you look at it from a purely business perspective the aim of the game is To earn money 💴 or why bother doing it 🤷‍♂️ obviously our membership helps but the advertising revenue will easily outweigh what we pay so for me whatever format the site takes we will all hopefully still be here 👍 and as Andy said Ive met some great people on here and thats worth my tenner all day long

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Big offput for me is to open any screen and find Especially for you, recommended for you or any other message and/or content that is trying to push me into looking at things that AI or advertisers or both want me to view. Sky does it as does Google and countless others. I absolutely loathe this on any platform.

Before you say that it is based on what I've been searching or viewing, I know that. But if I just look at something as a one-off I don't then want to be bombarded with ads or content around it for weeks afterwards. I also have wide interests and these vary too, so I just want to plough my own wide and meandering furrow.

You can see what allowing AI and advertisers does to people who only consume stuff that they are fed and never see anything that gives an opposite view or find something that they have never heard of/or had any interest in that blows their mind/changes their outlook and sometimes changes their lives.

Rant over.

Thank the lord there is still somewhere you can fine the latest posts.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I've not seen or heard anyone express a view on the big change that's coming next month.

If you aren't sure what it will look and operate like, you'll find a couple of examples HERE and HERE.

I'd be interested to hear your views :)
Hi Alb, I have only had a quick look but initially, to me anyway, those platforms do not seem as easy to find things as it is on our current forum or the TalkFord Forum (I use for Mk5 Mondeo).

There are no specific sub menus relating to Models and then no sections relating to specific parts of vehs like "Gearbox Clutch" and "Suspension Steering & Chassis", unless I am missing something.

Talk Ford is very similar to this site in as much it was all set up many years ago by enthusiasts.

I don't have much problem with adverts but I do use Adblocker (Adblock Plus) and visit the sites via windows laptop

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting point.

If the existing hierarchy isn't retained to a significant degree then someone has to decide where existing threads go and that's a mega-task.

There is a logic behind the existing structure and it has evolved with the Mk4 section in particular reflecting the product breakdown structure used by Ford.

I'm not entirely sure if elements of individuality remain or whether our uniqueness is assimilated into the collective.

Where have I heard those words before???

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Going the reddit way it seems, i might be late on this but it looks really messy with no real sub sections for easy finding, it seems a real mess and i'm sure many will refuse to use when the change happens.

Ads seem fine as many will just block them with custom codes and i'm sure many came here for how simple the forum is, as a site owner myself the layouts for sure was the main problem for many.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
Since selling the ST in 2015 i have been through a couple of cars and the relevant forums for them , and the software used to power them as well as the layout is far inferior to what we currently have hear and now .

What we have has a few issues , but on the whole , things are well laid out and in an organized manner. Change is inevitable , but looking at the 2 that Alb linked , they look as disorganized as the others that i have used ..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts