Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new car registration from the dvla website, a bit confused how it works. I know i have to wait for some V750 form to arrive, do i then have to send this back to dvla to get it registered to my car?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
QUOTE(InNEs @ 13 Feb 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just bought a new car registration from the dvla website, a bit confused how it works. I know i have to wait for some V750 form to arrive, do i then have to send this back to dvla to get it registered to my car?
just pop down to your local dvla office and they register it there and then

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
When you get the V750 (Certificate of Entitlement). This will show that the 'assignment fee' has been paid, so no fee's will need paid "unless" the 'grantee' e.g. the name on the V750 does not match that of the V5 registration document. In which case you will need to pay them a Further £25 to add a 'nominee' e.g. If the car is in a parents name or something like that then you will need to give them the entitlement to use 'your' personal number. I doubt this is the case so you have nothing to worry about.

Take this down to the DVLA Local office at Grayfriars house (the big open car park full of pot holes across from Aberdeen college on the Gallowgate).

The DVLA Local office is the building right at the end which looks down onto Morrisons on west north street. (remember to take a ticket from the machine when you go on!!!!)

Ensure you take with you the V5 (Car Log book) or the V5C/2 which you got when you purchased the car, your current MOT Certificate(if applicable) and a copy of the current Tax disc.

They will swap the Registration over for you there and then from the Current reg on the car to the Pvt one.

They will leave your current local identifier plate on your vehicle, and they will give you a number plate entitlement certificate so you can have new number plates made up at Autosave/Dingbro/Halfords etc. You should get round to swapping this over as soon as you get home. You are fine to continue on driving the car on the 'current' registration.

Remember to call your insurance before you screw the new number plates on and change over your insurance to the personal registration plate, as your insurance may be null and void if you drive on the open road with the new plates on and don't tell them.

When you have swapped over (the DVLA in Aberdeen will give you a new printed tax disc) with same expiry as your current one... this will display the new Personal reg on it. You should pop this in your window when you put the new plates on the car. You should also take a note of the original reg of the car in case of any warranty claims at ford etc to assist with easy location of parts etc for them on their system. Do not change any reg's in service books etc as this will look messy/sloppy when you sell the car and the original plates go back on (if you transfer the number/ retain the number).

DVLA Aberdeen will give you a small brown envelope to send your old tax disc back to them for disposal. I always just drop mines in by afterwards so it is cancelled and the loop is closed out on the 'old' car for any road tax reminders etc.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
773 Posts
All the fees included in the cost of purchasing the plate. You just go to the local DVLA office with your V5 and the V750. They provide you with a new tax disc and a form that allows you to get the new plates made up (cost varies on where you go).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.