Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(DonegalDan @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i need a new battery for my '06 st-3...i intend to buy a non-ford one as they are about half the price of the genuine ford part...is there any reason why i shouldn't do that...?

ta,
dan

Should be fine as long as you check the rating (Amp/Hours) to make sure its at least equal to the original item! Also see what sort of guarentee they offer with it! I think Halfords do a 3 year no quibbles warranty on their upper range!

ps Also check the size! If its too big you will have trouble getting it in the battery holder/box!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(DonegalDan @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah i've checked that its at least equivalent to the one fitted which is 60ha...does the voltage vary or are they all rated at 12v of the line...?

Car batteries are i think all rated at 12 volts, lorries are usually 24 volts and some motorcycles 6 volts! The battery itself should produce around 13-14 volts though when new!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(DonegalDan @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thought that was the case...was slightly confused by some posts on other strands where they were measuring output at 14v when running...?!!?

thanks...!!!

Yeah its a bit confusing but if all is well and you put a volt meter on the battery when the engines going it should make around 14 volts! The voltage regulator takes care of reducing this down to a steady 12 volts hence the problems you get when the battery or alternator get knackered!

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,444 Posts
QUOTE(DonegalDan @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thought that was the case...was slightly confused by some posts on other strands where they were measuring output at 14v when running...?!!?

thanks...!!!

The alternator should provide around 14 volts in order to run the car's systems and charge the battery. Mine often shows 14.4 volts with the engine running. A battery in good condition should give a reading of around 13 volts off charge in spite of being rated at 12 volts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm even more confused now - i've just been to pick up the car and there is a note with the file which says that i need a 590amp battery - the ones i've been looking at give a figure in amp/hours - the requisite item being 60amp/hours or more...!???!

can anyone shed any light on these two figures...?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(DonegalDan @ 4 Jan 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i'm even more confused now - i've just been to pick up the car and there is a note with the file which says that i need a 590amp battery - the ones i've been looking at give a figure in amp/hours - the requisite item being 60amp/hours or more...!???!

can anyone shed any light on these two figures...?

The Halfords website gives these 2 batteries as fitments for my 2007 ST2

STANDARD
Startup Power: 640 Amps
AH value: 70 Amps
Reserve Capacity: 130A
Bench Charge: 7.0 Amps
Weight: 16.75 Kg
Dimensions (LxDxH): 278x175x175M
Guarantee: 3 Years
Price £94.99

HEAVY DUTY
Startup Power: 740 Amps
AH value: 80
Reserve Capacity: 140
Bench Charge: 8.0 Amps
Weight (kg): 19.03
Dimensions (LxDxH): 315x175x175mm
Guarantee: 3 years
Price £119.99

Im guessing the 590 number is the startup power in that case! Personally with a 3 year warranty i would pay the 120 quid and get a known brand from my local Halfords! Theyll even fit it for a fiver more and recycle the old battery for free!

Link here>>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165762

Hope that helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.