Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone looking for some advice on leaky radiators.

I've had a little coolant leak (only about 1/2 litre in 2 weeks) for a couple off weeks and then the other morning it was lumpy on start up for a split second so I was obviously thinking the worst

So today I've finally had the time to take a look and as soon as I started taking the undertrays off coolant was leaking out so looks like it's the other known problem... Phew
leaky radiator, so as it's 1pm on a Saturday there's no chance off me sorting a upgraded radiator so what I was needing to know is it worth putting that radweld stuff or similar in?? Or just keep an eye on the coolant level and keep topping up until I get a new rad??

I'm not going to be doing many miles and will get a new radiator in the week (any suggestions to best / cheapish) and to top it all service and MOT due on the 20th

Thanks in advance

Think after these few weeks off dreading the worst I'm going to have go start a "block mod fund"

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
If it was me and its a slow leak I would just keep topping up personally.
I used to have an MG a few years ago and their engines were known for loosing coolant from radiators on occasion and there were a lot of people that thought Rad weld could cause more issues than it sorted.

I can recommend the Mishimoto.
http://j-w-racing.co.uk/section.php/3319/1/mishimoto

I reviewed it on the ST for JW Racing and am impressed with it. Comes with a lifetime Guarantee too.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Cheers all
i've already got the left over coolant bottle in my boot so I'll just keep topping it up

Stingy just been looking at them ebay ones and think I might go for something like that, has anyone used them before??
apparently they are identical the mishimoto only without the warranty Ash

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts
Remember what goes in to the radiator also goes in to the engine. I'd keep some top up water and get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Wouldn't use any of those chemicals it can be a nightmare getting the stuff out the cooling system once the leak is fixed and can cause more problems especially with it going into the oil cooler as well

I was watching those rads as well with a view of getting 1 as they do look good and cant be any worse than the standard item

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because chances are it costs the same as an uprated one.

Thank
it wasn't the other problem mate. You had me worried at coolant loss...
Yeah think them ebay Jobbies will be around the same price as standard so makes sense to go for an all metal one

And yeah been worrying myself mate for the last week or so checking the coolant everyday and seeing it go down
was such a relief to take the undertray off and see coolant there
was dreading checking the spark plugs
but think i will still take them out and check them to put my mind at rest

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only thing about using an uprated rad, you might want to consider is the intercooler going to fit correctly to it? The reason i'm saying this is when I fitted a Radtec one to mine it had to be slightly modified to hang intercooler to.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I had chance to have a real close up inspection of the Mishimoto gear at the Autosports show yesterday. I have to say for the price it is decent tackle. It will more than be up to the job and an excellent replacement for the "chocolate end tank" OE offering. Mine leaked for years without me realising it. I just kept topping up with a little bit coolant every 6 months. Now if you are topping up with just water you are dangerously diluting the antifreeze and anti-corrosion properties of your coolant. If your topping up with coolant then its expensive! It is an alloy head and block, using neat water will cause them to oxidise/corrode over time and worse still if it freezes you may get a cracked block as water expands as it freezes. The only negatve thing I could say about the Mishimoto is the welds aint all that pretty in places compared to the Radtec, but once in situ you cant see them. For the record I am convinced the Mishimoto and the Direnza are the same products, just marketed under a different name, even the packaging is the same albiet the name printed on the box.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had chance to have a real close up inspection of the Mishimoto gear at the Autosports show yesterday. I have to say for the price it is decent tackle. It will more than be up to the job and an excellent replacement for the "chocolate end tank" OE offering. Mine leaked for years without me realising it. I just kept topping up with a little bit coolant every 6 months. Now if you are topping up with just water you are dangerously diluting the antifreeze and anti-corrosion properties of your coolant. If your topping up with coolant then its expensive! It is an alloy head and block, using neat water will cause them to oxidise/corrode over time and worse still if it freezes you may get a cracked block as water expands as it freezes. The only negatve thing I could say about the Mishimoto is the welds aint all that pretty in places compared to the Radtec, but once in situ you cant see them. For the record I am convinced the Mishimoto and the Direnza are the same products, just marketed under a different name, even the packaging is the same albiet the name printed on the box.
All good advice Nick thanks
And yeah I luckily had a litre off ready mixed coolant left over from last year when I changed to the
oil cooler, so have been topping up with that

Good to know about the mishimoto / direnza radiators as i think I'm going to go for one off these as money is still tight after Christmas and MOT / service due on the 20th
just a shame I won't be able to do some before and after testing if I go for the direnza with the way my radiator is, as it looks like no one has done any yet with them.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know the coolant capacity off the
? As I'm going to get the bits together tomorrow ready for the rad change and service
And can't remember from when I changed it last year

Think it was 7 litres 'ish

1 - 20 of 26 Posts