Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my mate is after a new car an has seen one for dead cheap,
i went to see it last night and the bloke wasnt in but his wife was an she said it was a cat c
im going back later to have a propper look is there anything i should look out for or it best to leave it alone?
the car is a 55 plate pug 206

cheers

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Cat C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have a VIC inspection.
Recorded at DVLA & HPI. It will state on the V5 it is a Cat C.

So many factors...

How cheap? Knock 30% off the price of the same without the marker on it for starters.

How bad was the damage? I would want to see photographs of it pre-repair? Who repaired it?

You start entering in to the grey area of ringed cars too. For example a one man band has a stolen ST and a legit Cat C ST. The Cat C car's identity goes onto the stolen car. Yes, the VIC should detect if it is a ringer but the VIC is only as good or bad as the person doing it.

There are some bargains out there BUT there are also some bad ones.

For example, here's a Cat D, i.e. less damage than a Cat C...

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
IMO mate i wouldnt bother. there was a lad where i used to work and he bought a cat c 206. all was fine till someone drove into the back of him. got it in the bodyshop at work and started the repair. he then noticed that when he was sanding it down and looked under the top layer of paint the back end was a differant colour to the front and then seen more signs of 2 cars put together... was worth jack all in the end.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the coments
i went to have a look an its in quite a mess to be honest,
each pannel on the car looks to be a diffent colour and the the boot lid rattles like hell.
the bloke said it was hit by a truck and repaired by his mate in is back garden!!!
so i think we will leave that well alone

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(tatz27 @ 17 Jan 2010, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the coments
each pannel on the car looks to be a diffent colour and the the boot lid rattles like hell.
the bloke said it was hit by a truck and repaired by his mate in is back garden!!!

- now are you sure you don't think this is a goer?!?
scary!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
CAT D's are when the insurance company decided not to repair. A CAT C is when the repair costs more than the car. Extent of the damage is irrelavant. If its a CAT C on a newer car ie a 2007 Focus ST, the damage will be quite substantial. CAT C on a £2000 Peugeot 206 could be anything from as little as a bumper and bonnet. You can get a rover on a CAT C for cheap as chips as the repairers struggle to get parts form them now. My mate got a Mazda MX5 on a CAT C, it needed a wing and that was it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The best person to ask would be be Greg ST as he works in the insurance salvage trade.

QUOTE(tatz27 @ 17 Jan 2010, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the coments
And this passed a VIC?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.