Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like i might be needing a new clutch was wondering is the rs clutch upto the job of the sort of torque im running or is there a better option

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(weSTie @ 1 Feb 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looks like i might be needing a new clutch was wondering is the rs clutch upto the job of the sort of torque im running or is there a better option

yeah it will do the job

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(MST @ 1 Feb 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ouch - sorry to hear Gareth. Are you going to give Gary a call then?
may be looking that way have to get some prices together and see whos the cheapest

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(denboy @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>can i ask what sort of mods and map you are running to get them figures,thats if you dont mind.

code red map, turbo back exhaust with de-cat, code red cais, gen3 cooler and a lotto on the rollers

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ive got a Helix paddle clutch and it is VERY heavy, gives you alot of confidence that the clutch can cope with the torque. The gear change is much slicker due to the lightened flywheel
I love it!

·
Registered
688 Posts
QUOTE(weSTie @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>code red map, turbo back exhaust with de-cat, code red cais, gen3 cooler and a lotto on the rollers

thanks mate.

lotto on the rollers
thats about right.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 1 Feb 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ive got a Helix paddle clutch and it is VERY heavy, gives you alot of confidence that the clutch can cope with the torque. The gear change is much slicker due to the lightened flywheel
I love it!
where did you get your clutch from paul did it come with the lightened flywheel

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would fitting a 5 paddle clutch and leave the dual mass flywheel as it is give me the same or even better results than the rs set up

·
Registered
195 Posts
QUOTE(weSTie @ 2 Feb 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>would fitting a 5 paddle clutch and leave the dual mass flywheel as it is give me the same or even better results than the rs set up

Why not go for the flywheel to? It makes a nice difference with the gear changes and its nice to have peace of mind that it won't break

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
price mate not really rolling in it at the mo but on the other hand dont really what to compromise on the performance of the car so just need to explore every possible option

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Gareth, you don't want to be strengthening clutch plate as the next weakest link will be DMF. They have some play in them from the start and it gets progressively worse. I've seen flywheels at some clutch places that could be spun 180 degrees after only 60k miles.

Anyhow, helix do organic clutches too, which is what i'd recommend. Clutch release is no harsher then stock but there is no slack at all, which gives nice reassuring feel to gear changes. Pedal is a lot firmer, i'd say at least 2x or 3x as firm.

Organic discs can handle a lot of torque, some say i have 380lb/ft and clutch is taking all of it with ease. The disc is at least twice as thick compared to standard mcvities one (which includes RS) and will last a lot longer. Helix clutch is about 300 quid more expensive then RS but i reckon you can get your moneys worth with less visits to the gearbox.

You can get clutch from either pumabuild or mardi gras motorsport (who are helix distributor), prices virtually identical. I think Gary said they don't supply helix clutches anymore but you never know, he may be able to do a good price as well. Clutch is 6 hour job and i'd get somebody who you can trust to do it. Don't let amateurs nowhere near it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts