Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just changed rear discs, pads & fitted braided hoses.

The driver side was no problem at all.

The near side proved difficult to get the piston all the way back, I haven't got the right tool, just used
long nose pliers & turned the piston clockwise while applying some pressure.

Anyway, I got it all together. However the pads are tight onto the disc.
I took it far a short drive & it hasn't got any better.
Will the piston only retract if it is turned?
Or can I just prise the pads further apart with a bar or screwdriver?

Is the nearside caliper a left hand thread maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi JayGee

the rear piston will only retract when turned right hand thread on near side and off side
the pistons will only retract in this way as it is part of the automatic ajustment set up for your
hand brake mechanism
Iwould not try and prise pads apart using skrew driver you may damage pad material
I would check first to see if the hand brake is not binding
if not take pads out again and try to clean surface of piston it may be sticking as you
said it was difficult to screw back in
then have another go at retracting it also you say you have fitted braided hoses
nothing wrong with these a good mod but i would check your brake fluid resovour
level it may have risen due to new pads fitted pistons retract pushing displaced
fluid back in resovour if level is high i use a old eye drops dispenser to get fluid out

hope this helps Geoff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(ster @ 21 Feb 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi JayGee

the rear piston will only retract when turned right hand thread on near side and off side
the pistons will only retract in this way as it is part of the automatic ajustment set up for your
hand brake mechanism
Iwould not try and prise pads apart using skrew driver you may damage pad material
I would check first to see if the hand brake is not binding
if not take pads out again and try to clean surface of piston it may be sticking as you
said it was difficult to screw back in
then have another go at retracting it also you say you have fitted braided hoses
nothing wrong with these a good mod but i would check your brake fluid resovour
level it may have risen due to new pads fitted pistons retract pushing displaced
fluid back in resovour if level is high i use a old eye drops dispenser to get fluid out

hope this helps Geoff
Thanks, all done!
I took the caliper apart again & wound the piston back with some renewd vigor & the bleed nipple open.
It only went back another mm or so, that was enough.

Cheers,
Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts