Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I recently acquired an 18 month old Ruby Red ST Petrol estate from Ford Direct. I Have had it a month now and covered all of 100 miles!

I would like to spend a few quid improving the performance and looks without being too "chavvy" (I am 53 years old). As there is not much choice in "upgrades", from what I've found, I've found the following and would like others' opinions please:

Mountune M330 remap (have emailed them with some question but won't hold my breath on reply).

Replacement air filter. Undecided at present whether Mountune panel or ditch the air box and go with a cone type!

Mountune, or Milltek GPF back exhaust. I want a bit more noise and want shiny tips! I am unsure whether Milltek make them for Mountune. As I have the estate, the options seem to be more limited.

Eibach Pro lowering springs. They have different lowering for front and rear (20mm and 30mm respectively) on the estate which will make it sit squarer, as opposed to H&R.

Maybe some 15mm wheel spacers (Eibach) to improve the stance; again unsure as don't want any rubbing and have a question mark over extra strain on suspension and drivetrain.

Finally I am thinking of putting some vinyls on the sides; either the Mountune ones, which are hideously expensive for advertising their brand, or I've found some from Street-Race.org which would have an "ST" logo in them.

I would just like my car to look a little less "shopping" and a bit more "street" without overdoing it! :lol:

Andy

·
Premium Member
Mk4 ST m365
111 Posts
Hi Pond,
I have installed the mountune m330 remap and their K&N panel filter on my ST and can highly recommended it. It wasn't slow before but it pulls like a train now. Any questions about it just ask.
As for other mods, not much so far.
I have fitted a set of mountune supplied NGK Iridium spark plugs, a Ford ST carbon fibre gear knob, Ford Performance number plate surrounds and Audi Q7 chrome exhaust tips.

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
When I get my new ST the first mod will be the M330 map complete with air filter.

I'm probably going to have the Mountune exhaust too as it sounds great on the video.

As I've ordered white I'm considering the side flashes too but probably won't as I'd like to keep it a bit stealthy.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Mountune products.
Well Colin seemed to find it :neener:
Easy peasy......just use the new content button.....simples!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
[quote name="colinmcg71" post="7255331" timestamp="1619846125"]

Hi Pond,
I have installed the mountune m330 remap and their K&N panel filter on my ST and can highly recommended it. It wasnt slow before but it pulls like a train now. Any questions about it just ask.
As for other mods, not much so far.
I have fitted a set of mountune supplied NGK Iridium spark plugs, a Ford ST carbon fibre gear knob, Ford Performance number plate surrounds and Audi Q7 chrome exhaust tips.

Where did you get those from? Im sure I saw a link before but it didnt work. Quite fancy a set in lieu of messing with the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
Mk4 ST m365
111 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and thanks for the replies (sorry mods I was having a bad day) :lol:

I know Mountune are well known in Ford circles but have never had any dealing with them. They are quite pricey!

I have used Superchips a couple of times for remaps, one very recently on my wife's Z4 (it was £300 and made a massive difference). They do a map for the mk4 but it doesn't seem as good as the Mountune or Dreamscience.

I am not sure about fuel with the M330; I saw somewhere it is safe on 95 RON but don't want to do any damage. If it needs Shell V power that is a bit of a faff, as the nearest one to me is a quite a distance and because it is on a main junction is very expensive.

I would really like the lowering springs and small spacers but have been warned that it could be problematic due to added strain on drivetrain and suspension.

I have found the Eibach springs and 9mm spacers (smallest I can find) on Autodoc at very reasonable prices. I am a fan of Autodoc even though they take a while to arrive from Germany.

I think I saw somewhere that the battery has to be on charge to upload the M330 map, any advice on this? I only have a trickle/ maintenance charger so not sure about this either.

The exhaust is almost a must for me, as the OEMs look terrible and they need a bit more rumble.

The Mountune side splashes would be quite subtle, as my car is ruby red, but £84 for two bits of vinyl to advertise someone else's business seems a little steep! :brow:

·
Premium Member
Mk4 ST m365
111 Posts
Hi @Pond,
Ive got the m330 map on my ST and Im running it on Tesco Momentum 99RON. According to Mountune you can run 95RON safely with the m330 map but you may not see the full 325bhp.
When I flashed the m330 map I didnt have the battery connected to a charger and it installed fine, took about 10 minutes in total.
Ive now got the Mountune GPF-back exhaust fitted and it sounds excellent. Deeper and slightly louder but no drone at motorway cruising speed. I posted a couple of video clips in the exhaust forum here.
Happy modding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts