Ford Focus ST Forum banner
621 - 637 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 ·
Finally got around to fitting the rear brake upgrade, as usual there were issues but nothing major.
So to start off the problem, the new calipers while almost identical in dimensions and having the same piston size and handbrake mechanism doesn't fit. Not really an issue as the carriers cost more on their own than with calipers so they were kind of freebies. So I used the original calipers.
Original 280mm disc next to new 302mm disc.
Automotive tire Road surface Alloy wheel Asphalt Rim

Not really much of a difference with it being only 22mm
Automotive tire Rim Gas Wood Road surface

Anyway new disc and carrier fitted and old and new carriers so you can see the difference.
Textile Orange Red Font Pattern

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Motor vehicle Rim

Now the other minor issue, the old calipers need stripping down as one has a torn boot and the other is getting a bit stiff. It has loosened up with being wound in and pushed back out a few times but it's on its way out. Anyway all back together.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Fan washer jets?? Does this spray fluid into the engine bay to keep the temperature down??

I forgot how hot the engine becomes, so looking at ways to keep lithe temperature down. Have WRC vents being installed in 2 weeks, but looking at anyway to improve on this.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
Fan washer jets?? Does this spray fluid into the engine bay to keep the temperature down??

I forgot how hot the engine becomes, so looking at ways to keep lithe temperature down. Have WRC vents being installed in 2 weeks, but looking at anyway to improve on this.
No, they're to replace the standard screen washer jets they're from the mk3 focus.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
How is it running with the new actuator?
So far it's been spot on. Drove to nottingham and back a few weeks ago which was a 450 mile round trip and the car was faultless. Even getting sensible mpg, around 25 -30mpg depending on traffic and right foot. It does hold boost far better now, especially higher up the rev range.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Carrying on from my post on the general rant topic.
Someone has hit the back of the st, not hard but enough to do some damage.
So, the damage.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Removing the bumper is easy and is held on by 2 bolts in the bumper strengthening and 2 bolts at the top under the boot and a couple of plastic screws. Unfortunately one of the bolts had been ripped out of bumper strengthening.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

Thankfully these can be replaced and ford sell them for £25 a side.
Wood Automotive exterior Bone Metal Carmine

From what I can see there's no body damage apart from where it's pulled the bolt out if rhe bumper and caught the lip infront of the wheel.
The crash bad as no damage (apart from the horrendous amount of rust) and the bumper support brackets are still relatively in shape. Although both of these are getting replaced as I'd bought them a few months back with the intention of tidying the rear end up.
Musical instrument Plant Wood Grass Automotive exterior

While it's all off I'm going to tidy everything up and do some more rust proofing.
Starting with the towing eye.
Tool Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Wire wheeled, rust treated and painted.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey Beige

Grey Wood Tints and shades Font Road surface

Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Auto part Bicycle part

Have spend some more time thinking about it, I'm going to take my time and get a new bumper rather than try to repair the damaged one. So the st will be off the road fir a month or so depending on when I can afford the bumper and paint work.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
Just a small update while I'm waiting for the rain to pass. I've made a small modification to the lower bumper brackets, instead of using the nasty plastic screws I've put some m4 rivnut inserts In. Hopefully it will reduce some of the movement allowed by the plastic screws.
Plant Textile Purple Tree Pink

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 ·
While I'm waiting to be able to afford the new bumper, I'm having a crack at repairing the old one.

First I stripped the fog lights, side strengthening and lower trim piece.
Grass Plant Tail

These are riveted into the bumper and a bit of a sod to get off. With them being plastic rivets don't have anything solid to squeeze onto so they just spin when you try to drill them out.
Vertebrate Grass Bicycle part Automotive exterior Lawn

Washed and scrubbed all the mud and grime from the inside.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Hardwood Denim

Using a plastic welding kit I repaired the crack in the corner. Also I'm going to put some fiberglass over the top just to give it a bit more strength.
Wood Silver Metal Nickel Font

And the outside of the crack painted.
Automotive lighting Hood Helmet Motor vehicle Sports equipment

It's not a bad repair and will be hidden by the tailgate anyway.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
While I'm waiting to be able to afford the new bumper, I'm having a crack at repairing the old one.

First I stripped the fog lights, side strengthening and lower trim piece.
View attachment 907901
These are riveted into the bumper and a bit of a sod to get off. With them being plastic rivets don't have anything solid to squeeze onto so they just spin when you try to drill them out.
View attachment 907902
Washed and scrubbed all the mud and grime from the inside.
View attachment 907903
Using a plastic welding kit I repaired the crack in the corner. Also I'm going to put some fiberglass over the top just to give it a bit more strength.
View attachment 907904
And the outside of the crack painted.
View attachment 907905
It's not a bad repair and will be hidden by the tailgate anyway.
Hi Steve , I recently fitted my bumper with the new plastic bumper brackets , I bought copy ones off eBay and they seem fine (£35 for the pair ) you do have to fit the small plastic pieces at the bottom off the original ones though , I also elongated the the hole where the spike goes through to open the bumper gap slightly to help stop the dreaded bumper rub

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #636 ·
Hi Steve , I recently fitted my bumper with the new plastic bumper brackets , I bought copy ones off eBay and they seem fine (£35 for the pair ) you do have to fit the small plastic pieces at the bottom off the original ones though , I also elongated the the hole where the spike goes through to open the bumper gap slightly to help stop the dreaded bumper rub
Ahh you mean these little ********?
Wood Rectangle Jewellery Pattern Font

Yeah I almost threw them out still attached to the old supports.
The new ones arrived today, so got to it and fit them.
Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Bumper

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Wood

621 - 637 of 637 Posts