Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
I'm betting that a lot of owners simply don't know what they are getting.

They assume OEM without necessarily specifying it in the first place or checking that's what will be supplied.

There's another route to cost saving and that's not to replace the original if it's in good order.

It isn't a service item and the risk of failure is very low if the mileage at 10 years is also low.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
The water pump has always been a service item in my eyes and you'd have to be fool to think otherwise, what's happened to me is proof of that.
I'm kind of half with you on that.

Either replace it with an OEM part or not at all.

I've been following these cars for 15 years and I have never come across catastrophic failure of an original pump.

I've seen numerous examples of pattern parts failing.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
Interesting to see a roller being used on the sealant.

It's the way the manual shows how to do it but I rarely see the advice being followed.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
At least the sump is seldom disturbed.

The bane of my life used to be the rocker cover gasket. Once disturbed, they rarely remained oil tight and even if you replaced the gasket, the cover was often distorted through over tightening so still wouldn't seal.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
As long as you have good dimensional information it should be possible to source an O Ring independently.

Assume the originals are Viton?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
A discussion with Andy would be a good idea.

Must admit that I don't actually see how a tension issue would cause the belt to move axially.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
Belt position must be governed by the crankshaft sprocket.

It's the only one which restrains the belt axially.

Having said that, it's not actually disturbed as part of the installation.

Perhaps it just needs to run a little longer (up to working temperature maybe) before everything finally settles?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts