Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Update.

I deleted the old pics and here are some new ones with the car complete. At least for now.

The mods:
Technical: ITG custom intake with 120 mm cold air feed from lower grill, Mongoose turbo back decat exhaust with 4,5" slash cut tips, Airtec Gen3 Intercooler, Superchips stage 3+ remap, Eibach springs.

Esthetic's: Oz Superturissmo GT rims in costum black and orange letter finish, Michelin PS3 tyres, black grills, foglights surrounds and diffuser, face lift rear bumper, black roof, mirror covers and side badges, DMB gel overlays black and orange, ST small grill orange badge, interior carbon trim.

Future mods: Possibly RS wing, news sport shocks or coilovers, Sachs or Helix clutch, turbo upgrade (gt28rs or gt30), larger 625 cc injectors, costum remap, quaiffe LSD and thinking of Revo Knuckle.

Small Video Teaser with the house specialty flames

And some pics:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Window Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille
Car Plant Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(stingy @ 15 Feb 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>good job mate, are you not worried about heatsoak. you might lose a bit of power.
need to get a cold air feed set up for the filter and your ecu.

+1 its going to get mighty warm under the bonnet in the summer.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
by the looks of the amount of dust over the rest of your engine bay id guess your filter is going to get VERY dirty VERY quickly placed where it is. good effort anyway

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine hasnt been cleaned in 3 years and about the dust i do not worry. The ITG filter performs very well even if it is covered in dust. About the heat, there is no problem now. The temperature is well in the limits and i am going to make a cold air feed soon.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cosworths have been running Filters in the same place for centurys and still make mega BHP. In that position, I would think it would make little difference. A decent intercooler would help matters anyway. I bet it sounds out of this world

Which filter did you buy and did you need to re-route any pipes etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Excellent stuff!

Have you got any details on the size of piperwoork and the specific filter used. or at least the size of it as it seems a good fit in the space.

I agree with chrisd a filter should be perfectly fine there. as proved on numerous cosworths and other higher power cars as long as the intercooler is up to the job all should be well.

am thinking about doing the same myself.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Im no physics guru, but the air on a turbo car has to run through a red hot turbo housing, so the difference in temp at the filter will cause little difference at the inlet / cylinders. I would have thought the cooling action on a turbocharged motor needs to be efficient at the intercooler. I could well be wrong though
DYNO time

I might look into the K&N's as they may fit a little better with a cone shaped filter.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(chrisd @ 15 Feb 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im no physics guru, but the air on a turbo car has to run through a red hot turbo housing, so the difference in temp at the filter will cause little difference at the inlet / cylinders. I would have thought the cooling action on a turbocharged motor needs to be efficient at the intercooler. I could well be wrong though
DYNO time

I might look into the K&N's as they may fit a little better with a cone shaped filter.

im no expert either. but the filter needs air. one side is restricted by the battery, the headlight is blocking the other side close the bonnet & the top is restricted. only getting a decent supply of air from underneath. needs a cold air feed imo. still think its a good job if he gets a decent supply of air to it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys i will try to answer all your questions but it is a little late here in Romania.

First the hoses are Forge with a 80 mm diameter and i used a cupling a 90 degree hose and an ITG conical filter with the 80 mm exit. Itg makes only 2 types of filters with 80mm exit a conical like mine and a cilindrical one, but the given the space i have the conical one was the best fit.

I choose ITG no K&N beacause the ITG performes very well when dirty unlike the KN one. (performance is almost the same as clean) due to its 3 layers of foam. The guys at the shop cut one in half to better understand it.

For the heat i will make a heat shield for protection but as some of you mentioned the heat is not a significant problem.

The sound is great i love it. Not to loud but nice to hear. I posted a video on youtube here

I will do a dyno after my airtec intercooler and full mongoose exhaust decat arrives from UK. And of course after a trip to Superchips.

Please excuse my english but i am very tired and i cannot concentrate.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
sounds great mate !

i think the ITG works well dirty because the air holes are bigger than the k&n and let more dirt through. K&N's smaller holes get clogged quicker. I might be talking out my bottom though.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I thoguht you were going for an ITG induction (CIAS) kit, this is very retro and I like it.

As said before this has worked for years, while an enclosed system may be better, this looks the part

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Michael @ 15 Feb 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds great mate !

i think the ITG works well dirty because the air holes are bigger than the k&n and let more dirt through. K&N's smaller holes get clogged quicker. I might be talking out my bottom though.

Actually the holes in the KN sistem are bigger the the design of the ITG with 3 layers of foam makes it resistant to dirty. It does not let dust or dirt pass it, i have seen on a car that has the filter for a year.

QUOTE(Dennis @ 15 Feb 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thoguht you were going for an ITG induction (CIAS) kit, this is very retro and I like it.

As said before this has worked for years, while an enclosed system may be better, this looks the part

For now i will keep the retro look, if i see power loss in the summer i will install a heat shield and cold air feed but i am not going to put it in a box.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesturday i removed the grills to paint them satin black

Here are some pics of them in my costum oven drying

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

And because i am a very "lucky" fellow when the car was up on the ramp, after i've taken the grills of the electricity stopped and i was left with the ST in the air. We had to lower the car manually wich took 4 hours

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.