Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Mountune Value

2K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Russeh 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking of gettin the mountune performance upgrade
and I was wondering how much you all think it will add to the value of the vehicle, if anything? It costs about £1100-1200ish fitted, so how much can I expect to get back when I sell the car, probably in a couple of years.
I have looked on autotrader to compare mountune and standard cars, but it is difficult to compare the differing specifications and mileage, also the advertised price isnt always the same as the market value.

Interested in your views,

srana

See less See more
#5 ·
I doubt that it will make much difference when you come to sell, especially if trading in to a dealer. I had a prodrive conversion on my 2004 Subaru WRX which I believe is about a 2k option but it added virtually nothing to the trade in value (about £500).
Having said that, I would get the Mountune upgrade tomorrow if I had a spare £1200 and wouldn't give a monkeys about what it would add when I come to sell the car. I understand it is a fantastic upgrade, just go for it and enjoy!!!.

#10 ·
Very little, maybe £200 if you are lucky.

The attraction of other products has often been not just the flexibility they offer but the fact that the resale on the bits is usually between a half and two thirds of what you paid for them.

#12 ·
Ive just been to my local dealer and asked the sales guys there and they said it narrows the market of buyers and a lot of people will be put of because the think the previous owners will have thrashed it, obviously thats why you upgrade your cars performance!

They then went on to say that dealers wouldn't pay a premium for a mountune car, however you might get a couple of hundred back if you sell it privately. They also said if its mountuned they will check the car more thouroughly for tyre, brake and suspension wear compared to a standard car.

So its only worth it if your going to keep the car for a long period of time. I think that has made my mind up, I'm sorry to say my head is ruling this decision and I don't really want to spend all that money and not get anything back financially anyway. I know the performance increase is meant to be really good but I just can't justify it.

srana

#13 ·
Srana,

I dont think a dealer would give you any more money for the car, but if you were to sell it privately you WILL get more money for it from an enthusiast, about £500-700 I would say. I know if I was buying a second hand ST I would be happy to pay that extra for the Mountune upgrade. The other way to look at it is are you goiing to upgrade / modify the car anyway? By the time you hav ebought DS/Code Red / Bluefin etc plus an intercooler, then you will want an exhaust etc you will have spent the same, unless you buy second hand of course....
I would recommend you get a ride in a car with Mountune before you decide, it does make a MASSIVE difference...

Mark

#14 ·
If you keep it until you can no longer buy Mountune for the Focus ST and find someone that wants a Mountune ST then it will get bk a good amount. But outside of that it is a general rule that if you tune a car it loses value but i have Mountune and believe me mate, it is worth every penny a million times over.

#16 ·
But how would you know that the car had been previously running a remap?

Also just because they stop producing the ST doesnt mean mountune will stop doing the upgrade

A Gen3 Intercooler and Dreamscience remap can be got for around half the price of the mountune upgrade and you can sell them both on later

#17 ·
I was thinking of just gettin a DS handset, but my insurance jumps up over £300, probably because im only 21 years old.

With the mountune kit the insurance is exactly the same, only have to pay £14 to the insurance to change the information on my policy (admin fee).

So my choices are very narrow because of the insurance, its basically mountune or nothing because I want to keep the warranty valid as well (the car is only 5 months old).

#18 ·
QUOTE(srana @ 5 Jan 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was thinking of just gettin a DS handset, but my insurance jumps up over £300, probably because im only 21 years old.

With the mountune kit the insurance is exactly the same, only have to pay £14 to the insurance to change the information on my policy (admin fee).

So my choices are very narrow because of the insurance, its basically mountune or nothing because I want to keep the warranty valid as well (the car is only 5 months old).
I was in a similar position to yourself before I got my Mountune upgrade done...when considered against other tuning options warranty/Ford approved and the more insurance friendly choice won in the end.In my opinion it also depends how long you intend to keep the ST,there is no doubt the Mountune upgrade is more insurance friendly especially as you are 21...

If you plan on keeping the car for the term of your warranty the Mountune is a very good option,if your are only going to keep for 6 months or so it is not such a good financial move though

One other thing on what the dealer is saying...they will probably not offer you more for a Mountuned car for a trade in but when it comes to them selling it on they would probably put it on the forecourt at a higher price than an identical standard car

It all comes down to personal preference,if you decide not to go for any upgrade the standard ST is still a very good car but in my opinion the ST260 is a better car

#22 ·
QUOTE(srana @ 5 Jan 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So my choices are very narrow because of the insurance, its basically mountune or nothing because I want to keep the warranty valid as well (the car is only 5 months old).

i think thats the answer to your question, regardless of iff it will be worth more on resale, if you want more power its your only way to go

#23 ·
i'm faced with the same choise, i can aford either mountune or DS but with the car being brand new (march 09) i'm leaning towards mountune, the clutch issues that have been reported with Dreamscience also puts me off a bit, that said the flexability of the DS unit is very tempting plus if the clutch goes there about 900 quid so i guess its no more expensive than mountune if the worse does happen.

humm i'd pretty much desided on mountune before reading this thread lol

#26 ·
i did mate yes, couldnt fault it really but as i have said before i found it a bit all or nothing and this time round i wanted something i could put on then just forget about, the setup i have now gives me everything i want and the the sound is something else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.