Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting the Mountune transmission upgrade kit fitted to my MR290. Just wondering if anyone esle has this RS clutch Diff fitted and what it has done for the car.

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
I've got MR290 with RS clutch and diff. In short it's excellent you won't be disappointed it's like a different car in the corners.

·
1,421 Posts
What about in a straight line
Diffs are more of a cornering mod, you don't notice a great deal of improvement in a straight line if any. I suppose it would limit wheel spin a bit more but if you're the type that doesn't blast it through the bends then you may as well save your money.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ive got an MR290 with the transmission kit fitted. I find the torque steer when accelerating in a straight line to be greatly reduced with the quaife. They come into their own when cornering but my car feels more stable when accelerating in a straight line with the quaife fitted. Totally love mine

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agree with above, better traction, in all weather types, less spin, more control through corners, well worth it, think as you got the 290 you'll appreciate the mod

·
1,421 Posts
Ive got an MR290 with the transmission kit fitted. I find the torque steer when accelerating in a straight line to be greatly reduced with the quaife. They come into their own when cornering but my car feels more stable when accelerating in a straight line with the quaife fitted. Totally love mine
That's strange as you normally find with a diff that it wants to pull to the side with most grip, can't say I noticed a great deal in straight lines. When I was running MP260+ exhaust I always felt it was twitchy in the bends but the diff eliminates this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah there's no real noticeable gains in straight line, I got mine as needed a new clutch so save the labour charge and do the lot, don't regret it but it is quite an expensive mod, think it is probably better with top suspension, I only got eibachs at mo, need to update the dampers I reckon

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just had a Quaife fitted. It transforms the car, finds grip everywhere makes even cornering at normal speeds more comfortable.
Disagree that there's not much difference in a straight line. I can use 50% more throttle in 2nd than I could previously.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's strange as you normally find with a diff that it wants to pull to the side with most grip, can't say I noticed a great deal in straight lines. When I was running MP260+ exhaust I always felt it was twitchy in the bends but the diff eliminates this.
Mine is totally different with it fitted. Mine use to have loads of torque steer.
Even Quaife themselves quote it reduces it http://www.quaife.co.uk/differentials

·
Registered
874 Posts
Everyone who's had the diff fitted, have you noticed any noise with it? Even after 18 months I have what can only be described as a slight whirring/whooshing noise.
Yep. Apparently its the noise the gears make as opposed to the friction plates of the standard one. I can believe how many times you hear it working just driving in traffic around town.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pumabuild fitted mine for free while doing the RS clutch so it was just the price of the diff which is around 700 (obviously this is only when they supply the diff)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts