Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

Although, I'm still on the fence of modifying my car I'm starting to get interested.

I'm thinking visually I'd like to drop the car and I'm more inclined to go with the Mountune Sport Spring Kit but my thoughts are that the ride could end up with a crashy feel to it.

Uprated spring poundage (15%)
Front ride height reduction 25mm
Rear ride height reduction 35mm

With figures like that is it best to just go the whole hog and replace the shocks as well, does it matter?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, at the moment I'm considering just the springs but the unknown of how crashy it might feel is a little off putting.

Thanks Jameo for the detail on how it feels with the B8s, I heard those are basically the Mountune Clubsport shocks? Your car sits really nice 👍

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Yeah its as close to the club sport as you can get, mountune have discontinued it otherwise thats what I would have gone for, mountune said they used B8s but they had them valved slightly differently, not sure if that was sales BS or not but I cant imagine it would be much different, Im happy with the way it is though,
I bought the springs first and was going to just fit them but as you have to take it all apart anyway and demon tweeks had an offer on the bilsteins I thought what the hell!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, that's a good point, going to order the Mountune springs and I might be swaying towards getting the B8s as well...

Hopefully when lockdown is relaxed more I'll start making calls for quotes.

Cheers 👍

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,709 Posts
It depends on the condition of your shocks at the end of the day. If they are still good they will work with the lowered springs. If they are slightly soft then they will 'crash'. On my old 500 I fitted just springs & although the ride was good to start with the extra load on the shocks very quickly made them give up & get very 'crashy'. Hence I ended up getting shocks as well. Consequently when i sort mine out shortly even though the shocks are still good I will be swapping the lot as at least it stops having to do it twice!

As a thought if Mountune don't sell their kit any more remember A&K Motorsport on here sells suspension - plus you get the club discount!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Nickst500, that's probably what I'd want to avoid.

I think my mind is made up to get the B8s now, I may give A&K motorsport a go and see what the damage will be closer to when I'm back at work.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
One thing to bear in mind though is its not just the shocks and springs, I also fitted new top mounts, anti squeak pads, bearings, dust boots and a couple of the bolts are stretch bolts that need to be replaced, I ended up spending another couple of hundred quid on the extra bits, I guess you could swap over from the old units but it was easier to build up the front shocks before hand and just swap them over, also didnt seem right to fit old bits into new bits, I bought genuine ford for all the extras but there are lots of cheaper aftermarket ones on eBay, I used rates ford as they have an eBay shop with reasonable discounts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts