Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about fitting one of these Quaife diffs to my car just wondering if any of you owners out there have fitted one to there own car. I’m fed up of the amount of wheel spin the car creates and would this mod help. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Ive just had the Quaife ATB diff fitted by Profile Automotive and the difference is night and day! I should have had this fitted about 2 years ago! In the wet i just used to get massive wheelspin through the first 5 gears! Now it spins a bit in 1st but once it hooks up just drives and drives! It has in my opiniom made the ESP system work better! The engine doesnt just cut out like it used to! As far as im aware there is no plate type diff available for the M66 gearbox!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The diff is worth getting, even on a standard car TBH.

fitting does take time as the gearbox has to be removed from the car and opened up, then put back together and re-fitted into the car so all in all its pretty much a 2 day job.

Speak to Gary at Profile Automotive, they have done plenty of these now and know exactly what they are doing!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quaife diff is not ideal, but it is the best compromise for the ST. It is what's known as 1-way differential. Which means it only works under load, e.g. when engine is trying to spin the wheels and more importantly wheels are under load.

It doesn't work as ATB anyway, when there is no load on one of the wheels (e.g. it is up in the air) nor does it work on overrun. But as one would imagine it isn't so much important on the road.

Plate diffs are normally 3-way so they work in under load, no load and overrun. But they are maintenance items. I'm not sure what the life span of plates are, but it would be good if they coincide with engine clutch lifetime and can be replaced at the same time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.