Ford Focus ST Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountune Pricing

2K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Allan 
#1 ·
Hi guys

please excuse my ignorance, but why is the Mountune package so pricy?....I appreciate that it leaves your Ford warranty unaffected, but with other re-maps offering similar performance increases, and considerably cheaper, all I can see is that you get K&N panel filter, and an uprated intercooler, again please excuse any ignorance on my part, but am I correct in thinking that the standard intercooler is ok, on a stage1 remap from Bluefin, code red, etc?, therefore not really necessary?

Nige

#5 ·
QUOTE(Harmy2010 @ 7 Feb 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£500-intercooler, £350 Bluefin remap and £40 Panel filter Plus labour. All-in it is not a bad deal to be honest
But obviously there are different companies and the choice is yours

Or fit it all yourself, you get to know your car in the process, and saves you a bucket full of cash in labour charges. Panel filter is really easy as its basically a consumable product. Intercooler is easy to fit just takes a few hours. So on the above prices its under £900

#6 ·
Because a lot of time and engineering has gone into the kit to make sure it's the best out there in terms of efficienct operation, smoothness, refinement, driveability, performance, and ultimately reliability.

It might not give you a headline grabbing spike of power / torque (slipping your clutch in the process), but it will deliver consistent performance all day, every day, regardless of the weather.

You do need an intercooler, even in the UK as soon as the warmer weather kicks in you'll be down on performance with the standard cooler.

All the second-hand, ebay, handsets sound great but you can't compare something second hand to something new in terms of a cost comparison, plus with the handsets you may be able to:

Turn off mil lights... but you wouldn't need that option if the calibration was good in the first place, like the Mountune.
Remove the map if needed for warranty ... but you don't need to do that as it's endorsed by Ford.
Store and use different maps ... again none of them are specific for your upgrades, just generic, so what's the point in having eight different maps, if none of them are custom / specific to your exact list of components, and / or are any good anyway, when you can have one that's installed and works exactly as it should all of the time?!

So bearing in mind you're getting an intercooler - £500, a remap £500, and an air filter £40. You're paying about £80 when comparing like this for all of the testing and engineering time spent (Nurburgring sing-off) etc. that goes into us being able to produce a performance upgrade that you guys can benefit from that doesn't cause you any problems with Ford. You can compare similar things, but just like the Golf advert running at the moment, it might be similar to, or like a Mountune, but buying similar parts with another map is quite simply not a Mountune.

#7 ·
QUOTE(Dave@Mountune @ 8 Feb 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So bearing in mind you're getting an intercooler - £500, a remap £500, and an air filter £40. You're paying about £80 when comparing like this for all of the testing and engineering time spent (Nurburgring sing-off) etc. that goes into us being able to produce a performance upgrade that you guys can benefit from that doesn't cause you any problems with Ford. You can compare similar things, but just like the Golf advert running at the moment, it might be similar to, or like a Mountune, but buying similar parts with another map is quite simply not a Mountune.

so why do the stealers rip us off with there vast & varied prices then. That's the only thing stoping me getting it fitted.

#11 ·
QUOTE(david_txr @ 8 Feb 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All I have to say on this matter is it's like most things in life the more you pay for something the better it normally is and I am very happy with the mountune package
I am not doubting the mountune package I just think that dealers should charge a comparable price with each other in West Yorkshire the mountune package is obviously gold plated in comparison with the midlands prices

#12 ·
QUOTE(Andy @ 8 Feb 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not doubting the mountune package I just think that dealers should charge a comparable price with each other in West Yorkshire the mountune package is obviously gold plated in comparison with the midlands prices

You will obviously find that fitting prices vary across the country. This is down to garages charging different hourly labour rates.

The estimated fitting time is 1.5 hours at whatever rate the garage charges for labour.

#13 ·
QUOTE(Andy @ 8 Feb 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not doubting the mountune package I just think that dealers should charge a comparable price with each other in West Yorkshire the mountune package is obviously gold plated in comparison with the midlands prices

yes i've noticed this too, although i didnt get a bad quote from Polar Ford Castleford

#14 ·
As has been identified above, we set a retail price for the kit and a suggested labour time the dealers work within... we can't control how much labour they charge as some charge £50+vat, some £100+vat which makes a big difference in the prices.

Best thing is to phone around a few to get a comparison, or drive the extra distance to those that have put themselves above the rest in terms of offering the best service, knowledge and price... the likes of Kernahan's and Birchwood spring to mind.

#16 ·
QUOTE(Dave@Mountune @ 8 Feb 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can compare similar things, but just like the Golf advert running at the moment, it might be similar to, or like a Mountune, but buying similar parts with another map is quite simply not a Mountune.

I'm not doubting the Mountune package at all.

However this self professed greatness is somewhat grating on me.
VW have earned the right, have Mountune?

#18 ·
QUOTE(Dave@Mountune @ 8 Feb 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>again none of them are specific for your upgrades, just generic, so what's the point in having eight different maps, if none of them are custom / specific to your exact list of components, and / or are any good anyway, when you can have one that's installed and works exactly as it should all of the time?!

On the same vein, all engines leaving the factory are different through engineering tolerances and the quality of fuel they run. Therefore to get a map specifically tailored to you car it needs to be live mapped.

On this basis
Ford maps are generic
Mountune maps are generic
As are the rest of the flash tuners.

No one using any of the above gets a map specifically tailored to their car.

#19 ·
mountune have been tinkering with fords for years and deserve all the praise,they have had more input than you would think on fords performance models through the years,my uncle was part of sve now known as team rs and rates mountune highly as i think it was dave who had regular phone calls from him

#22 ·
If the flash tuners were on here slating MT, I don't think they would get away with it.
As yet I've not seen the flash tuners taking part in this type of propaganda.
They simply let their happy customers sell their products for them.

MT should do the same, they have plenty of happy customers signing their praises
So let good publicity sell your products, please..........

#23 ·
Poor old Mountune do get some stick on this forum sometimes for very strange reasons. I personally chose to go down the Dreamscience route, because I wanted to take the car past the re-map and intercooler stage and I'm very happy with everything the Dreamscience has to offer.

Mountune are incredibly respected in the engine building and re-mapping game and have been producing 'Top end' results for many years in motorsport, so although I dont have the 260 kit, I can imagine its a top piece of kit and if I was looking for a fast ST with complete peace of mind and didnt want to add exhaust and induction components, it would be top of my list. The kit cost is spot-on really and I dont think its over-priced one bit, as all the pros it exhibits (warranty, Ford approved etc) make it very reasonable indeed.

With all due respect to other companies that offer re-maps (and as we all know now, DS, Code Red, Bluefin, Morego etc all work very well) they have not got Fords backing, do not produce quite as consistently repeatable power figures (close, but not quite) and are not produced by a company that can offer full engine building services, up to group A/WRC spec. For those that dont know, Mountune are not simply another tuning company !!

#24 ·
QUOTE(Bruceyboy @ 8 Feb 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mountune are not simply another tuning company !!

I am aware of that.

Just wish they did not feel the need to tell us about their competitors alleged inadequacies again & again.
Its getting a bit boring.

Would MT products differ so much from the others had they not had Fords backing.
I doubt it. Their mapping allegedly is all that makes them different, thanks to Ford.
The rest anyone can cobble together......

Pro Alloy intercooler - check
K&N panel filter - check
Milltek exhaust - check

Theres nothing original.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree in part to where you are coming from Mitch, there is no need for Mountune to directly criticise the other re-map companies products, however they do have a point about the generic map thing.

There used to be a time when the most respected companies existed off their knowledge, products and customer services alone.... I think the internet ruined all that !!

Perhaps Mr Mountune is tired of explaining himself again and again to justify their product. Thank god Ford themselves dont post on any forums, could you imagine how that would go

#26 ·
QUOTE(Bruceyboy @ 8 Feb 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps Mr Mountune is tired of explaining himself again and again to justify their product. Thank god Ford themselves dont post on any forums, could you imagine how that would go

You can bet they read them though. Last time I looked there were 15 members on here with "@ford.com" email addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.