Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I've recently lost 2 plastic undertrays/air deflectors that fit to the underneath of the front bumper.

This is mainly due I think to the fact that when you get the Mountune 260 conversion, the technicians remove two plastic covers that surround the edges of the old intercooler, that cannot fit around the new pro alloy intercooler. These in turn have fixings that secure the undertray to the front bumper via two tabs (on the bumper).

Without these the undertray can sag slightly creating a bit of a air dam, which then causes it to get torn off when at "higher speeds"

Just wondering if any Mountune owners have any success fitting the undertray a little more securely??

Failing this can any of you fellow Mountuners pop out and have a look at your
to see how the Ford techs have fitted it. As they may have used a customised clip/fitting.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I'm 99% sure that the intercooler deflector panels you're referring to don't actually bolt to the undertray, the plastic scrivets go through the lower lip of the front bumper to hold them on.

In fact change that to 100% cos for all the times I've had the front undertray off I've never had to remove the deflector fixings.

Can see your thinking but it's not the case sadly - would be the same for other people running the non-Mountune Pro Alloy IC, and DS induction kits too as they recommend removing the deflector on that side.

With losing 2 front undertrays you've either been very unlucky or somethings gone amiss when they've been fitted

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Thanks again for your help mate
Seems you may be the resident undertray expert

I thought it must have been the plastic scrivets that I was missing when I lost my 2nd undertray, so bought them the 3rd time but they didn't pair up to the undertray in any way as you said. So I popped to dealer's and had a peek at a standard pre-facelift ST and I assumed that the undertray was being held to the intercooler deflector panels.

When I fit the undertray it seems to bow out at the centre, this could be that I'm either doing it wrong or that when I cracked my bumper it's causing it to sit incorrectly and sag down.

I'll have another go at it soon and see if I can get it to fit any better.

I was going by the diagram at the bottom of this link http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Front-Unde...&hl=plastic

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
In my capacity as resident 'Bumper Undertray Expert (pre-facelift division)' (I'm not worthy
) it looks like some of the metal clips which hold the undertray to the lower lip of the bumper may be missing. There should be 3 of then sperad across the front section of the undertray. I posted info on this recently, bear with me to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup it was my post you replied on originally hence the title of resident expert

I have the three clips along the front and the 7 self tapping screws but it seems to bow out between the 3 clips at the front - either side of the centre clip and not too sure why?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
99% sure it should sit on top mate, reckon mine does cos I only feel the edge of the bumper lip when I run sponge under there.

On top's the way to go

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, I'll give that a go at the weekend. Will let you know how it goes, whether you care or not

1 - 8 of 8 Posts