Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just wondering what your thoughts were, regarding Mountunes choice of a K&N panel filter as opposed to a CAIS system. I'm of the understanding, that if they have spent a lot of time and money @ the R&D department then why would they put a cheap £45 panel in with the package, surely it must be up to the job. As a complete novice to modding, when would a CAIS system give greater performance, than a K&N panel filter?...your thoughts would be helpful.

Nige

·
Registered
689 Posts
Probably something to do with the Ford warranty, Ford probably wouldn't sign off on the warranty if it was done with a CAIS and given that the warranty is a big selling point it may have a lot to do with it.
Another point may be the cost of it, it would no doubt push the cost up making it out of reach or undesirable to some people.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 19 Feb 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The standard air box is perfectly capable of handling the 260bhp that Mountune provide, a CAIS would be unnecessary with this conversion.

would a cais not improve the mountune package though?
thought they were developing one for the st, or is that just a rumour?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(stingy @ 20 Feb 2010, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>would a cais not improve the mountune package though?
thought they were developing one for the st, or is that just a rumour?
I think the issue is that adding a CAIS to the Mountune package would also need some adjustments to the mapping to get it all optimised to the degree that it is now using the standard airbox and the K&N panel filter- so would require lots more testing plus software work and another level of the map creating.

The Mountune CAIs is just a rumour as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mountune have recently said that with there mapping they did not need a CAIS all the way up to 300bhp, so there is no point changing it. Apparently someone put a K&N CAIS on a Mountuned car and it reduced the performance so they removed it!

I would leave it mate, if they say for their conversion (not for other companies every map is different) it is not needed up to 300bhp, then its not needed.

HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.