Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fun car to drive tho the RS
Honestly, you need to drive a MK4 ST. The best ST to drive by far. Arguably more rounded than any RS. I too would like to know the full technicalities of it compared to the RS version. Something that was even printed in the brochures in better days, it seems they don't want to tell you anything these days. Unless your in the States where they still get to know everything.

The engine is absolutely solid being a Mazda L block from nearly 20 years ago! The RS gasket problems were unique to the RS. The engine has been heavily used in many applications without issues. Yes it is open deck just like the old Volvo engine, but arguably stronger than that engine. It has just won engine of the year in the US which is slightly ironic considering it's age!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I read somewhere that the Mountune 330 can be installed and removed at will, isn't that the case? Unlikely it will ever be Ford approved as they cannot approve it without listing it as one of their models and taking a massive hit on another CO2 monster. If they dropped the RS for this reason, there is almost no chance of them adding a Mountune version. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the ST in the future and possibly release an RS as the only model, would be more appealing to the enthusiasts I bet. Someone mentioned that it is aftermarket and outside of CO2 regs. Well it is and isn't. It is actually now illegal to alter the emissions of a car outside of the original design approval parameters with the possibilities of massive fines. Difficult to Police though, fortunately ! Can see this changing in the future as the pressure increases on emissions.

I also wonder if a GPF delete will come along, that will be robbing the engine of a few HP. Without a GPF the 330 will be around the power of the Mk3 RS without the significant rear drive train losses. Be far faster everywhere apart from 0-10 mph. Standard MK4 dyno charts I have seen on the MK3 RS put them slightly down on claimed at around low 340's HP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts