Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just been looking at next years RWYB dates for Santa Pod and was wondering if anyone with a Mountune upgraded ST had any information on what sort of times they were running? What difference it made running with the traction control on or off? Best launch technique with the focus (rpm holding point at launch)?

In my 205 mi16 I used to hold on the hand brake with the clutch just below bite point at 5k rpm and just go for the red line in all gears (quickest time of 14.8 ).

Couple of youtube vids of me running

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
IVe seen a number of sts run up the pod now and the best time ive seen was a 14.1 and that was with a guy who only had a cais and a stage 1 bluefin. Though his technique was superb.

Best way is not to get the wheels spinning off the line, pull the car away like you would normally then bring in the throttle steadily but firmly. Maintaining traction is the most important bit, then change up at around 5.5-6k should cross the line with a rough terminal speed of around 100-120 so your going to need to have a helmet. Illd keep the traction control on because if your doing it right you wont make the car react.

Using the so called "launch control" ive seen two cars break cv joints and 1 break its clutch, so i would def not advise doing that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 21 Nov 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>IVe seen a number of sts run up the pod now and the best time ive seen was a 14.1 and that was with a guy who only had a cais and a stage 1 bluefin. Though his technique was superb.

Best way is not to get the wheels spinning off the line, pull the car away like you would normally then bring in the throttle steadily but firmly. Maintaining traction is the most important bit, then change up at around 5.5-6k should cross the line with a rough terminal speed of around 100-120 so your going to need to have a helmet. Illd keep the traction control on because if your doing it right you wont make the car react.

Using the so called "launch control" ive seen two cars break cv joints and 1 break its clutch, so i would def not advise doing that.

There is nothing wrong with using the so called "launch control" I used it loads on my first st never went wrong

Until the oil started
out the bottom of the engine

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
QUOTE(Jimothy @ 23 Nov 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is nothing wrong with using the so called "launch control" I used it loads on my first st never went wrong

Until the oil started
out the bottom of the engine

You're lucky you didnt burn your clutch out after 3-4 goes

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ive done it in 14.04 at santa pod. best way is not to launch it.get the car nice n warm. hold it at biting point and floor it.in 1st gear to about 4,5k revs then redline in rest of gears and youll be fine

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(ARW @ 23 Nov 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've done a 13.99 with the ESP switched on.

Mods:CR295
I'm not sure what the ESP is like on the ST, but I would always recommend turning it off when doing a 1/4 mile run. You may get a decent run with it on, but if the traction does break then there is always the risk of the power being cut and a loss of time. IMO you want some wheel spin when leaving the line, just so long as you are moving at the same time and not sat on the spot.

Agree with changing into 2nd reasonably quickly if the car is modded/mapped, as the car will have more than enough torque to pull well in 2nd.
Would expect a Mountune ST do be doing low 14's with the right driver, no worries.

·
Registered
518 Posts
QUOTE(Vtec Abuser @ 24 Nov 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not sure what the ESP is like on the ST, but I would always recommend turning it off when doing a 1/4 mile run. You may get a decent run with it on, but if the traction does break then there is always the risk of the power being cut and a loss of time. IMO you want some wheel spin when leaving the line, just so long as you are moving at the same time and not sat on the spot.

Agree with changing into 2nd reasonably quickly if the car is modded/mapped, as the car will have more than enough torque to pull well in 2nd.
Would expect a Mountune ST do be doing low 14's with the right driver, no worries.

Hi mate long time no see,
I don't find the ESP that intrusive, but i would agree with you that you can get a better time with it off.
But on that run i forgot to turn it off

Did do a couple more runs after with it on and off but was trying too had and got something wrong on all the other runs but all under 14.4 so not too bad

If i wasn't worried about destroying the clutch and or drive shafts i could have done a better time, as all the time is in the start and i felt like it was bogging down on the start on all my runs.

And a
under 14 is quite rare.

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(ARW @ 24 Nov 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate long time no see,
I don't find the ESP that intrusive, but i would agree with you that you can get a better time with it off.
But on that run i forgot to turn it off

Did do a couple more runs after with it on and off but was trying too had and got something wrong on all the other runs but all under 14.4 so not too bad

If i wasn't worried about destroying the clutch and or drive shafts i could have done a better time, as all the time is in the start and i felt like it was bogging down on the start on all my runs.

And a
under 14 is quite rare.
This is true mate and good to see you have cracked it.. I know how annoying it can be getting in to the 13's. As I did about 10 14.0's in my old LCR and never did manage to crack the 13 sec barrier with it..

Now the Golf is similar, just with the 12's this time..
Roll on next year and Stage 2+

·
Registered
518 Posts
QUOTE(Vtec Abuser @ 24 Nov 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is true mate and good to see you have cracked it.. I know how annoying it can be getting in to the 13's. As I did about 10 14.0's in my old LCR and never did manage to crack the 13 sec barrier with it..

Now the Golf is similar, just with the 12's this time..
Roll on next year and Stage 2+

Thanks mate,
what 60' time with your runs?
only managed 60' @ 2.270

·
Registered
252 Posts
13.1 is a fantastic time for a pretty standard hot hatch, I'm ammusing your running about 300? did you strip it out or run slicks or similar?

So any mountune owners want to post there qtr mile times?

Be a good test of how they compare to the higher power tuning packages?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I havnt done an official standing quarter mile in mine yet, but i've got to say £1100 for 256 bhp that brings it to better straight line acceleration than a considerably more powerful RS, its like a miracle if you ask me. Lol. Mine is running 0-60 in 5.8 and 0-100 in 13.8 at the mo, don't know if that helps?

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(Dazza123 @ 25 Nov 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I havnt done an official standing quarter mile in mine yet, but i've got to say £1100 for 256 bhp that brings it to better straight line acceleration than a considerably more powerful RS, its like a miracle if you ask me. Lol. Mine is running 0-60 in 5.8 and 0-100 in 13.8 at the mo, don't know if that helps?
That will give you a easy low 14 / High 13 with those figures. What/where did you get your figures from mate?

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(c.b @ 25 Nov 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>13.1 is a fantastic time for a pretty standard hot hatch, I'm ammusing your running about 300? did you strip it out or run slicks or similar?
So any mountune owners want to post there qtr mile times?

Be a good test of how they compare to the higher power tuning packages?
08 GTI Edtion 30 DSG
Mods..
Revo Stage 2
Milltek TBE
ITG Panel Filter

Full road trim, road tyres (Michellin PS2's) and Pump fuel.

You're right though mate, the current crop of Hot Hatches are getting pretty
quick with a simple map and exhaust thrown at them. Especially when compared against certain machinery that SHOULD blow them away.. Take this chap in his 500+bhp Mustang for instance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7eyVuxF4Y...feature=related

·
Registered
249 Posts
i did a 13.76 1/4 mile at santa pod, was only running dsci map with dsci induction kit, downpipe,decat and intercooler at the time only on std springs too.
The starting off is the key, esp was off, took off in first about 2500 revs feeding in the power (still had some wheelspin) changed up to 2nd bout 4500 then floored it to 6k in each gear. Did bout 20 runs that day and my car didn't even break lol, was tryin too hard in the end tho and u end up goin slower! Be lookin for an improved time when i go back next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts