Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, long shot, but I figure there must be someone on here who can help!! Trying to mount a 32" tv in my son's bedroom, however can't locate a stud in the wall it needs to go on! Tried knocking, magnets etc and the whole wall just gives off a hollow sound. I can locate ones on the other walls, just not this one! Help!!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Hang on, don't you have to drill the wall and put the studs in it?.....

I wouldn't do it on a hollow wall either!

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
Ok, long shot, but I figure there must be someone on here who can help!! Trying to mount a 32" tv in my son's bedroom, however can't locate a stud in the wall it needs to go on! Tried knocking, magnets etc and the whole wall just gives off a hollow sound. I can locate ones on the other walls, just not this one! Help!!
You're not going to find a stud with a magnet as they are made of wood?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The plaster board could be only connected at the top, bottom or sides only without being connected to studs in the centre of the wall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
could be dry lined, where plasterboard is stuck to a solid wall behind with plaster daps, most dry liners do not put enough/ the required daps on the wall, thus sounding hollow, if it is dry lined the plasterboard could be 25mm (1 inch) from the solid wall, try making a small hole in the plasterboard and see if there is a wall behind, good luck.
Motty

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing behind it, tried with a small hole. The bathroom is on the other side, with a decent sized cabinet on it so it must have the ability to hold some weight. Unfortunately I don't think I'll take the risk then, don't really want the tv ending up on the floor!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks mate, I'll go there now. Also gives me a chance to drive the ST which I'm not going to turn down!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Studs should be about 30cm apart if i remember right. I gave up trying to locate mine so ended up drilling some small holes until i found it, then measured across in 30cm increments to find the next. Got a 50" plasma hanging off them with no issues, it must weigh 30kg!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i would drill a small hole mate then check the depth to the brick work then you can drill some bigger holes if its not to deep you can get some self locking wall plugs and some deeper screws.and with it screwed direct to the brick work the tv will be safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts