Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last MOT came with an advisory
" offside front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged but preventing the ingress of dirt"

Is this going to be an expensive fix? I'm looking at selling my car px for an RS and not sure if I should get it sorted first?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Surely if its damaged dirt will get in? :S. the gaiter its self is only about 15/20 quid at the most can get ones the you put over and glue or others you have to take the strut out th wishbone. Wouldnt cost you a bomb. Probz 50/60 top end if a garage does it.

Ps your in MK3 topic

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
It'll be cheaper to replace/fix the boot now rather than wait for dirt to get in and ruin your CV joint as well!

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,585 Posts
Wrong section :s
Not any more

How long ago was this and have you been keeping an eye on it?
If it is still sound, then it's sold as seen at trade-in. The advisory will be visible in the documentation so nothing is hidden.
If it isn't, it needs to be sorted immediately but you may find the joint has been damaged.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It just means there is visible cracking and deterioration to the rubber. If the rubber had split or holed then it would fail.

My daily mondeo has had this advisory on the mot for the last couple of years, to be honest I wouldn't worry a great deal about it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Got the drivers side outer boot changed, Collins performance changed mine for 150... Or it might have been slightly less. Cheaper than 500 on a driveshaft!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
If dirt could get in it woudl have to get past all the molly grease that would be being forced out as you drive and you will see the grease all over the insides of your wheels.

Just keep your eye on it and sort if/when it actually goes

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still havnt got this sorted yet as i had to get a new oil houseing recently, but i have it booked in now as the inner cv boot has split! But I think my car has developed another fault thats as there is a constant rattle/vibration noise when going over 30mph is this due to the cv split or do i have another fault!?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts