Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had the rear pads replaced at the stealers and now there seems to be an excessive amount of pedal travel, the brakes are working i think but there is a lot of travel in the pedal. Surely there should be less travel with new pads?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Davecl @ 26 Jan 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just had the rear pads replaced at the stealers and now there seems to be an excessive amount of pedal travel, the brakes are working i think but there is a lot of travel in the pedal. Surely there should be less travel with new pads?

The system probably needs bleeding or to be honest the brake fluid replacing completely!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 26 Jan 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>or to be honest the brake fluid replacing completely!

The fluid is supposed to have been changed.. it was the 4yr/50,000 mile service, so they recommended a fluid change (every 2 years apparently) and noticed the pads needed doing in the process.

I'll go back down when I get up tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Although the service guide recommends a brake fluid change every 2years they do not do this as part of a service and you have to pay extra for it. I am not sure they even test the fluid for effectiveness. My car is 4years old this year and I haven't bothered as a) I think 2 years is a little excessive for a pretty sealed system and b) the filler tank is such a nightmare to get to (i.e. you have to remove the wipers and scuttle panel before it is exposed).

I am not sure why your brakes should need bleading as changing the pads does not add any air to the system. All they do is loosen the cap on the filler and then push the caliper cylinder back in to accomodate the new pad. Once in place everything should just settle back into place. This is certainly how things worked on my fronts.

May be worth a visit back to your dealers to sort.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Is the pads sitting properly. I had this on my VXR, the spring hook that pushes against the pads wasn't put back properly. Scary when you braked, seemed like you'd never stop.

·
Registered
150 Posts
if they put the new pads on old discs it could take 50 or so miles for them to bed in, you might not be getting full pad contact yet.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
For topping up the brake reservoir (excellent design btw NOT) I use a small 20ml plastic syringe.

When i've refilled the system i've bled it through with an Ezibleed kit which fills up the reservoir itself

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(Davecl @ 26 Jan 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes matey it was

like I said I'm going back down tomorrow

just wondering how competent they are there becase thats where i'm planning on getting mountune done

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Russeh @ 26 Jan 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just wondering how competent they are there becase thats where i'm planning on getting mountune done

not very by the looks of things.. although it did seem a bit better this morning on the way home from work.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(smjohns @ 26 Jan 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Although the service guide recommends a brake fluid change every 2years they do not do this as part of a service and you have to pay extra for it. I am not sure they even test the fluid for effectiveness. My car is 4years old this year and I haven't bothered as a) I think 2 years is a little excessive for a pretty sealed system and b) the filler tank is such a nightmare to get to (i.e. you have to remove the wipers and scuttle panel before it is exposed).

I am not sure why your brakes should need bleading as changing the pads does not add any air to the system. All they do is loosen the cap on the filler and then push the caliper cylinder back in to accomodate the new pad. Once in place everything should just settle back into place. This is certainly how things worked on my fronts.

May be worth a visit back to your dealers to sort.

Yes they said it was recommended and I paid extra for it, so I'm assuming they did it. It looks like they didn't bleed the system though when they did it, although it did seem a little better on the way home from work this morning or maybe I'm just more used to more pedal travel
, I'll go back down this afternoon when I get up and let them have a look at it.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(smjohns @ 26 Jan 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not sure why your brakes should need bleading as changing the pads does not add any air to the system. All they do is loosen the cap on the filler and then push the caliper cylinder back in to accomodate the new pad. Once in place everything should just settle back into place. This is certainly how things worked on my fronts.

Mainly because when the pistons are pushed back the excess brake fluid is jetted back into the reservoir and can cause a lot of foaming and bubbles in the fluid! Then as the pistons are pumped back out these bubbles can be sucked back into the system! Simples!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
You could try the old trick of leaving the car overnight with the brake pedal pressed down - leaves the mastercylinder ports open and can let any bubbles in the system work their way up into the reservoir.

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 26 Jan 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if they put the new pads on old discs it could take 50 or so miles for them to bed in, you might not be getting full pad contact yet.

+1

May take even longer seeing as it's the rear pads that have been changed, unless you drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 27 Jan 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could try the old trick of leaving the car overnight with the brake pedal pressed down - leaves the mastercylinder ports open and can let any bubbles in the system work their way up into the reservoir.

You are such a biker Troy lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts