Ford Focus ST Forum banner
301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,034 Posts
Another win (excluding A35 which shouldn't be in this test, should have been type r) You have to put up with the subjective "lets criticise the interior etc as we cannot criticise anything else" i30N is certainly no better and the golf is a plastic cave now. Also the general consensus from others on the A class is the interior quality is poor. Strange how they vary isn't it. But the consistency of the ST's performance and handling reigns supreme.
Totally couldn't agree more that the A35 has absolutely no right being in that test. The model being driven is in top trim spec Premium Plus, but is amost a year old and there has been a significant price and standard spec rise since then. Model in the video cost well over £40k, but a new one today would be £44k.

The interior is a very noticeable class above the rest (as you would expect), which again highlights the fact that it shouldn't be there.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Good review that really emphasises just how awful that fake engine sound is.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I watched all of that review, which is rare for me. :D

Im assuming all ST's come with a fully digital instrument display now.

I was a bit confused when he referred to an 8 speed gearbox "from the regular Focus" but the auto is a 7 speed. I never seen it once getting into 7th though, although it did an indicated 157 mph in 5th.

It is a bit puzzling why adaptive cruise control is only available on the auto.

Looks like Ford have done a good job with the auto, although it took long enough to release it.

I agree with Alb about the fake engine noise - it is truly awful and I would get bored with it very quickly!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I watched all of that review, which is rare for me. :D
Im assuming all ST's come with a fully digital instrument display now.
I was a bit confused when he referred to an 8 speed gearbox "from the regular Focus" but the auto is a 7 speed. I never seen it once getting into 7th though, although it did an indicated 157 mph in 5th.
It is a bit puzzling why adaptive cruise control is only available on the auto.
Looks like Ford have done a good job with the auto, although it took long enough to release it.
I agree with Alb about the fake engine noise - it is truly awful and I would get bored with it very quickly!
Yes new build STs come with the fully digital instrument dial now. Think Id need to try it to decide if I like it.

Adaptive cruise control is standard on the manual ..unless this has been changed for the latest model year.

Ive seen the fake engine noise mentioned in reviews but it has never bothered me...in fact I really like it as it sounds authentic!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Adaptive cruise control is standard on the manual ..unless this has been changed for the latest model year.
I just checked and yes you are correct it is. It looks like what the reviewer was talking about is the "Stop and Go" function in conjunction with adaptive cruise control which is only ever available with automatic transmissions, so this makes perfect sense. :)
I cant remember which part of the video he mentioned it but I cant be bothered to watch the whole thing again to hear exactly what he said.

Any comment about the gears, because that one is still puzzling me?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well if there is one thing I do not like about the ST, it is that awful racket. It's ok in normal unless you floor it, terrible in Sport so yet another reason to avoid sport. But not as loud as these cameras reproduce it. Not even a nice sound, it is gruff and not representative of a lovely smooth 4 cylinder, engine which it is. BUT, all manufacturers are inflicting this on us, all! Other cars of mine I have always easily defeated it. BMW in a few minutes with a phone app, VAG, just unplug the unit next to the wiper motor etc stc. The difference with those cars was the difference from not liking the cars to loving them! Ford just doesn't seem to have the knowledgeable people that other makes are blessed with when it comes to solving things like this. Dreamscience reckoned they could turn it off, obviously cannot!! I am sure it is a pair of wires at the amp in the boot, but which ones??!! Why on earth would you want a totally false noise/racket in your car, it is childish beyond belief.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wonder if it's the same as the mustang ecoboost 2.3 where you remove fuse 27, prob not as different cars and disables stereo so not a great solution anyway!
Not sure if the chap is on these forums but there's a YouTuber who mentioned there's a sensor on back of engine which when unplugged controls the fake engine sound? He got it from a German site. Not sure if anyone knows about that?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Comes back to what I mentioned recently in a post, the constant noise about a 15 year old version never ceases to end, even on a mk4 secrion!! 🙄
Completely agree on this. Dont get why there are so many Mk2 and Mk3 owners that come into the Mk4 forum and endlessly drivel on about how their ancient Mk2s are better!!

I could pick plenty of faults out with my Mk4 ST, but the driving experience isnt one of them. Even today in with slippery conditions the thing lets you plant your foot so early which you cant do easily in a front wheel drive car.

I just think these Mk2/3 nuts who have no intention of buying a Mk4 until they can afford one should just ****** off back to their forum so they can all tell each other how great their aging cars are 😂😂😂

But I do love the Mk2/3 RS lol

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,313 Posts
I haven’t watched it cos Gary does my head in he did when he had an RS which he blew due to lack of knowledge.
How many times does he say wow in that video :)

301 - 320 of 320 Posts