Ford Focus ST Forum banner
281 - 300 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
i think it was the autocar review that described the interior as grim. i think the seats are an big improvement over the mk3.5 full leather recaro's, but the dash is very bland a bit like bm's. ford's obsession with cheap hard plastics below dash line could be improved imo.
And they described the Golf as not much better too. Personally I like the MK4 interior, smart stylish, good quality squeak and rattle free and very functional. I also think it is easily the 2nd best looking ST up to now, maybe the best now that Im used to it. Always thought the mk3 looked better but not any more, the mk3 is now looking a bit dated. Only other I would change to is the new 128ti 1 series. But couldnt hack an auto so rules itself out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
At the end of the day its a Ford though. Im not sure what the expectation is really. I like the interior and Id rather they spend the money on the driving experience than soft plastics by my knees and feet. Sure, if I had a bigger budget a more luxurious interior and massive V8 or something would be amazing. It is what it is and its pretty good.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
I sat in a Mk4 when it came out at People's and thought the interor very dark, depressing and cheap looking. The recaro seat bolsters were also very hard and noticable each time you get in and out.

This I'm comparing to my old Mk2 ST and also Mk3 ST's I've tried and Golf R/GTI's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I sat in a Mk4 when it came out at People's and thought the interor very dark, depressing and cheap looking. The recaro seat bolsters were also very hard and noticable each time you get in and out.

This I'm comparing to my old Mk2 ST and also Mk3 ST's I've tried and Golf R/GTI's.
Of course you did Eddy, and of course the the MK2 is better quality inside and smarter, not in million years ! Just as well I and many others couldnt disagree more. Its a stupid petty argument comparing a mk 2 to a mk 4. They are completely different technologies and time warps. The MK2 well and truly looks its age now. You like your mk2, fine, but drop this anti anything that isnt a mk2 obsession, its possessed you. You remind me of my son when he was younger. Every car everyone else had was **** apart from his at the time. He eventually learned many people thought exactly the same about his !

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Totally different to my first thoughts......the seats in the new ST are awesome.

Aesthetically they look the nuts and so comfy.......I'm not a stick insert nor a porker (despite my name) but just your average build bloke and the one I test drove was just right. Slightly wider I thought than the seats in my M235 ST Fiesta and they are not tight.

Personally I love the interior.....just the right amount of sporty touches without being boy racerish if that's a word!

Looking forward to getting mine as I wanted the new dash, not because I don't like the other but if I'm paying top whack for it, then I want a new one as opposed to a "new" old stock one that dealers still want top whack for.

Mine will be gorgeous orange fury complete with the full length panoramic roof so will look really mean as orange and black together.....what a combination!

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
Of course you did Eddy, and of course the the MK2 is better quality inside and smarter, not in million years ! Just as well I and many others couldnt disagree more. Its a stupid petty argument comparing a mk 2 to a mk 4. They are completely different technologies and time warps. The MK2 well and truly looks its age now. You like your mk2, fine, but drop this anti anything that isnt a mk2 obsession, its possessed you. You remind me of my son when he was younger. Every car everyone else had was :censored: apart from his at the time. He eventually learned many people thought exactly the same about his !
You're so wrong and kidded by the 'newer must be better'.

My Mk2 seats are comfier and the interior feels airier and less cramped. The plastics look and feel better - styling may date, but quality and comfort doesnt.

And I dont need all the new tech or like the touchscreen which is stuck on, not built-in, like in a VW.

I can afford a newer ST but I dont like the interiors in too many ways.

And dont get me started on the looks. I bet my 12yo Mk2 still gets more second-glances than the dull Mk4.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
And dont get me started on the Mk4 looks.
It is such a good job that we don't all go by looks as I'd be well and truly stuffed! Fortunately I was blessed with a great personality, a very kind nature and the ability to make people laugh even though I say so myself!

Comparing those attributes to the Mk 4....what you say you lose in looks is well and truly made up by the car's personality.

Don't think for one minute that I am qualified to say that as I have only driven a couple for very short distances but I can appreciate that the new Focus has a lot going for it even though some might say it's an ugly duckling!

A good job for me anyway (some would say the Mk 4 too) that beauty well and truly is in the eye of the beholder.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
You're so wrong and kidded by the 'newer must be better'.

My Mk2 seats are comfier and the interior feels airier and less cramped. The plastics look and feel better - styling may date, but quality and comfort doesnt.

And I dont need all the new tech or like the touchscreen which is stuck on, not built-in, like in a VW.

I can afford a newer ST but I dont like the interiors in too many ways.

And dont get me started on the looks. I bet my 12yo Mk2 still gets more second-glances than the dull Mk4.
All driven by green envy and its blatantly obvious, in fact hatred of anything not mk2, superior and if its not yours I suspect there is something else behind Your obsession. The points you raise are all nonsense in my opinion. Ive owned mk2s mate, had plenty issues with them, do you think youre the only one? Ok and competitive 10-15 years ago. As I have seen before it is not allowed on this mk2 site to criticise the Mk2 without risking attack !! even though to many its boxy looks and quality are/were questionable compared to its rivals of the time. The MK2 was a decent car 10+ years ago, but like the rest from then, left well behind now not least by the mk3 and mk4. Newer is virtually always better, especially with motor vehicles, 99.9% of the time.

This is supposed to be about magazine/online reviews not a mk 2 owners monotonous attack thread! Stick to your mk2 section.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
All driven by green envy and its blatantly obvious, in fact hatred of anything not mk2, superior and if its not yours I suspect there is something else behind Your obsession. The points you raise are all nonsense in my opinion. Ive owned mk2s mate, had plenty issues with them, do you think youre the only one? Ok and competitive 10-15 years ago. As I have seen before it is not allowed on this mk2 site to criticise the Mk2 without risking attack !! even though to many its boxy looks and quality are/were questionable compared to its rivals of the time. The MK2 was a decent car 10+ years ago, but like the rest from then, left well behind now not least by the mk3 and mk4. Newer is virtually always better, especially with motor vehicles, 99.9% of the time.

This is supposed to be about magazine/online reviews not a mk 2 owners monotonous attack thread! Stick to your mk2 section.
No, this all comes from commemts made by magazines which have criticised aspects of the Mk4.

I dont criticise with any envy - I could buy any car I liked enough - but with 30 years of hot-hatch experience.

I've test-driven loads of other cars in the last 10 years, looking for a replacement and all had significant weaknesses. So my old ST has stayed.

I compare with the Mk2 because it has all the attributes I like and find some of them inferior in the Mk4.

YOU are the one who's determined to prove something because you are spending big money on a car and dont like it criticised.

Will you still drive your Mk4 in 12 years time because its just so damn good ? Many Mk2 owners are still doing so...

And if you want a magazine review, the latest CAR edition has tested the new Puma ST vs the Focus and says the Puma is more fun to drive and has better seats.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No, this all comes from commemts made by magazines which have criticised aspects of the Mk4.

I dont criticise with any envy - I could buy any car I liked enough - but with 30 years of hot-hatch experience.

I've test-driven loads of other cars in the last 10 years, looking for a replacement and all had significant weaknesses. So my old ST has stayed.

I compare with the Mk2 because it has all the attributes I like and find some of them inferior in the Mk4.

YOU are the one who's determined to prove something because you are spending big money on a car and dont like it criticised.

Will you still drive your Mk4 in 12 years time because its just so damn good ? Many Mk2 owners are still doing so...

And if you want a magazine review, the latest CAR edition has tested the new Puma ST vs the Focus and says the Puma is more fun to drive and has better seats.
Because youre so obsessed you obviously ignore the vast majority of all reviews that rate the mk4 at or around the best hot hatch available! The vast majority! Including Car (a **** pompous rag) who rate the MK4 very highly! The Puma and Fiesta STs are top of their league TOO! Got mag and not seen that test?

If you could afford anything you like would anyone really be driving an old MK2 Focus?

And no I wont be driving my mk4 in 2 years time let alone 10 same as I didnt have any desire whatsoever to drive my mk 2s beyond 3 years or ever get another one. But someone else will be driving it, maybe you ??? and no doubt claiming it is vastly superior to the mk 10 !!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Because youre so obsessed you obviously ignore the vast majority of all reviews that rate the mk4 at or around the best hot hatch available! The vast majority! Including Car (a :censored: pompous rag) who rate the MK4 very highly! The Puma and Fiesta STs are top of their league TOO! Got mag and not seen that test?

If you could afford anything you like would anyone really be driving an old MK2 Focus?

And no I wont be driving my mk4 in 2 years time let alone 10 same as I didnt have any desire whatsoever to drive my mk 2s beyond 3 years or ever get another one. But someone else will be driving it, maybe you ??? and no doubt claiming it is vastly superior to the mk 10 !!!!
Comes back to what I mentioned recently in a post, the constant noise about a 15 year old version never ceases to end, even on a mk4 secrion!! 🙄

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Just read about the price increases on ST Fiesta and Puma but no increase (thankfully) on the new ST Focus.

·
Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,034 Posts
Just read about the price increases on ST Fiesta and Puma but no increase (thankfully) on the new ST Focus.
Even if there was it should not have affected you. :)

Car price rises are inevitable I suppose, and sometimes they happen even before the model has went on sale! This happened with the Mk.3 RS and I believe it was at least £1k, but if you had already placed your order before a certain date you were protected from the rise.

I was looking at a specific new model last year and it too had a price rise before it was released for sale.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,313 Posts

Car price rises are inevitable I suppose, and sometimes they happen even before the model has went on sale! This happened with the Mk.3 RS and I believe it was at least £1k, but if you had already placed your order before a certain date you were protected from the rise.

I was looking at a specific new model last year and it too had a price rise before it was released for sale.
Yes you are right Ron I ordered my first RS in Apr 16 and on the 1st May 16 it was going up 1k was not picking it up until 1st Mar 17 but had it at the current price :)

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Agreed; it was more of a factual comment rather than a complaint though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another win (excluding A35 which shouldn't be in this test, should have been type r) You have to put up with the subjective "lets criticise the interior etc as we cannot criticise anything else" i30N is certainly no better and the golf is a plastic cave now. Also the general consensus from others on the A class is the interior quality is poor. Strange how they vary isn't it. But the consistency of the ST's performance and handling reigns supreme.

(1) NEW VW Golf GTI vs Focus ST, AMG A35, Hyundai i30N | 4K - YouTube

·
Registered
454 Posts
Another win (excluding A35 which shouldn't be in this test, should have been type r) You have to put up with the subjective "lets criticise the interior etc as we cannot criticise anything else" i30N is certainly no better and the golf is a plastic cave now. Also the general consensus from others on the A class is the interior quality is poor. Strange how they vary isn't it. But the consistency of the ST's performance and handling reigns supreme.

(1) NEW VW Golf GTI vs Focus ST, AMG A35, Hyundai i30N | 4K - YouTube
Decent review.

Though I shall be interested to see how the revised I30 N stacks up (available this spring).

Being totally honest though, doubt if I would have been that disappointed to own any one of these cars. Happy with my I30N performance at the moment. Tomorrow, who knows :lol: Maybe another Ford.

PS. 100% agree about the p-zero's. Great in the dry... but absolutely terrible in the wet (even worse if the temp is approaching zero). Change to Michelin PS4s at the first opportunity, wet weather handling is transformed.

281 - 300 of 320 Posts