Ford Focus ST Forum banner
261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Carwow did a road test between a Golf 8 GTI DSG and an ST Auto. Surprising the Golf thrashed it despite having only 245 BHP to the Focuss 280. The Golf appears to be 80 or 90 kgs lighter.
You can clearly see the Focus pulls ahead immediately then all of sudden the idiot in it lifts off the throttle or gets his paddles wrong, then talks :censored: about it not able to puts its power down, IT WAS ALREADY DOING ABOUT 60!!! and was the quickest away, so so much for DSG. ! He did that most times. If you listen late on he says "there were birds on the runway again" !!!! Impossible for any car to be pulling away then suddenly go backwards like that. I would be surprised if Ford don't take them to task over it. No way is that Golf faster than the ST. The 0-60mph and the 0 - 200 kph are way slower. Autocar tested the two and puts the ST ahead and better.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here is a comparison of the ST manual v automatic v Golf 7.5 Performance DSG. Exactly the same engine and power as the MK 8. Bear in mind the strip is extremely slippy as you will see. The auto ST trounces the DSG Golf! And no signs of cars suddenly going backwards like the carwow farce.

·
Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,034 Posts
I am puzzled why the automatic ST does not have launch control but the manual does.

Surely it would be of more benefit to have it the other way around?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have had an S3 I think? which I have had as a loan car a good distance, it was the 310 version. Honestly the S3 feels almost like standard suspension compared to the RS. Its frustrating because it has adaptive dampers so why the hell make it so hard, its the constant jiggling around that wears you down.

I need to try a Type R properly. When I was after a RS pushing 3 years ago I went to BSM and had a lengthy test drive of the RS demo and then ST 3 demo. Initially I liked the RS a lot, it was when I got onto a twisty bumpy B road (normal!) that I realised this could be a problem and would wear me down, then I noticed the steering lock. Considering my wife would use this car and shes no enthusiast I thought I had better try the ST. It was just more refined and comfortable and didnt feel much slower. Still struggled to decide but common sense over use dictated. Financially the ST proved good over 2 years, only lost 5.5k in that time. The RS of course has recovered and holding its value amazingly. I could have had it then for about £30k with extras from carwow, big discounts due to the head gasket scare at the time. The same car now is still around that on an 18 plate.
I got to be honest, the Mk4 ST is utter ****! For the money, it's built badly, isn't that fast even with a Dreamscience map pushing 340bhp and looks pretty plain. This is coming from someone who has had two Mk4 ST and both fail to make me smile. My regret was not getting a Type R, Golf R or M140i. Now I'm stuck with this lump of junk for a while longer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a tricky balance pleasing everyone and I think the ST just falls between a lot of stools.

It's not as fast or extreme (when you want that) as the Type-R, but costs more.

It's not as good value as the very similar and better specc'd i30N.

It's not as prestigious or have the quality interior of a Golf GTi.

Many people also think it doesn't look that great either.

It's clearly a very good all-rounder, but often people want one of the above attributes to stand out.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, it does well as an average hot hatch, in fact I'd say this was more of a warm hatch and I've got the Dreamscience map on mine running at 340bhp. When I consider what I could have got for the money now, I am pretty angry with myself for getting an ST. The ST badge doesn't have any prestige like the RS and is an inferior model to the RS in many respects, but the irony being it isn't cheaper!!

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
The only issue with the VW's (& Audi's) with the DSG is they are soooo boring. Very fast, but boring.

Top Gear:
'Sport mode, press brakes, press throttle, release brakes, yawn, arrive at 100mph. That about sums up the Audi S3 experience. Its very effective, but entirely uninvolving, requires no skill whatsoever and communicates very little excitement indeed. Theres a bit of a jolt as it leaves the line, otherwise nothing.'

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only issue with the VW's (& Audi's) with the DSG is they are soooo boring. Very fast, but boring.

Top Gear:
'Sport mode, press brakes, press throttle, release brakes, yawn, arrive at 100mph. That about sums up the Audi S3 experience. Its very effective, but entirely uninvolving, requires no skill whatsoever and communicates very little excitement indeed. Theres a bit of a jolt as it leaves the line, otherwise nothing.'
Yeh its much more exciting having rattles, bangs, wobbles, steering yanked out of your hands, we all love that !

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,147 Posts
Yeh its much more exciting having rattles, bangs, wobbles, steering yanked out of your hands, we all love that !
With Golfs & Audis its not just the DSG, its the total lack of excitement in everything they do. You have to drive one like a lunatic to get a buzz or any driving satisfaction.

Like the old saying goes - its not what you do, its the way that you do it.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
That is a massive increase in power for not a lot of money, but more importantly the torque increase is much more significant.
Losing the manufacturers warranty would put some people off though(it would me).
Regarding warranty I see that Mountune provide a 12 month warranty...but this covers the supplied air filter and OBD reader only.
It's not going to put me off; the M235 map is superb on the ST Fiesta so no reason to suppose that the M330 map won't be just as good.

I've been running M235 with no issues since 1000 miles which is exactly what I intend to do with the Focus.

Run it in gradually for 1000 miles then M330 plus exhaust (probably) here we come......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Its not going to put me off; the M235 map is superb on the ST Fiesta so no reason to suppose that the M330 map wont be just as good.

Ive been running M235 with no issues since 1000 miles which is exactly what I intend to do with the Focus.

Run it in gradually for 1000 miles then M330 plus exhaust (probably) here we come......
When your ready for an exhaust let me know. Im selling my ST when the restrictions ease up and have a DS Handset and Scorpion GPF back exhaust available for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
When your ready for an exhaust let me know. Im selling my ST when the restrictions ease up and have a DS Handset and Scorpion GPF back exhaust available for sale.
Thanks for the thought but I have no idea when that will be!

When I ordered my ST last month I was quoted 5 months lead time!!

And that was before new lockdown restrictions......so it could be summer before I get it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the thought but I have no idea when that will be!

When I ordered my ST last month I was quoted 5 months lead time!!

And that was before new lockdown restrictions......so it could be summer before I get it!
May be perfect timing as shifting mine wont be an easy task and lockdown and restrictions look like they arent letting up for a while. Something to bear in mind. Feel free to drop me a dm when you get it and if I still have it we can sort something out.

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,313 Posts
Are you selling up mate because Ford never sorted the running rough when cold issues ?

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
i don't think many would describe the driving experience of the mk 4 as boring, it apparently excels in this department, most of the criticism is it's looks, quality, of interior, price and build quality.
I always find it interesting when the Mk4 interior quality gets criticised in the reviews. I wonder what cars they are comparing it to to class it as poor?! In fact one car review described the interior as grim.

I find the interior excellent and was one of the aspects of the car I was most looking forward to!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I always find it interesting when the Mk4 interior quality gets criticised in the reviews. I wonder what cars they are comparing it to to class it as poor?! In fact one car review described the interior as grim.

I find the interior excellent and was one of the aspects of the car I was most looking forward to!
i think it was the autocar review that described the interior as grim. i think the seats are an big improvement over the mk3.5 full leather recaro's, but the dash is very bland a bit like bm's. ford's obsession with cheap hard plastics below dash line could be improved imo.

261 - 280 of 320 Posts