Ford Focus ST Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1022 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
What are they stripping out of the interior seems an upgrade to me. The old temp controls looked pretty average and new ones look to work well and in a convenient position. Worth for the better screen and more streamlined design.
The new one virtually doesn’t have any controls! Justy touch screen nasties. The old controls are excellent and I use them with ease all of the time. How they look is irrelevant but in any case they look very good better than blank nothing. This cheaping down that has gone on the last few years with Ford is now costing them sales I have no doubt, it’s put me off. Contrary to what people might think, LCD panels are ancient and been around for 50 years and they cost very little, a few quid far less than proper instruments.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anyway how's your dreamscience map going and what codes does it throw up on the Ford app? Any queries/trouble from the dealer's?
As I said I only use the 95 octane first level map (approx. 300hp) it is really good. Removes the held back feeling in mid range and goes a lot better at top end without ruining it with torque steer and harshness. But it feels oem and definitely better than fords attempt mainly because it’s designed for better performance rather than minimising emissions like oem. I just wish they would include the option to turn off active sound as they said they would. That is the spoiler of my car. Hideous nasty false noise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The controls are excellent and I use them with ease all of the time. How they look is irrelevant but in any case they look very good better thsn blank nothing. This cheaping down that has gone on the last few years with Ford is now costing them. Contrary to what people might think, LCD panels are ancient and been around for 50 years and they cost very little, a few quid far less than proper instruments.
Honestly, the controls are easy to use on the screen and are in a fixed position. It couldn’t be any easier. Plus, it makes the cabin look so much cleaner and modern. A friend has a model 3 and that is a **** show to use imo, that is when using a screen is done poorly and can actually make it unsafe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not a cheapening down its keeping with the current trend off all manufacturers. And yes LCD screens have been around for a while but not at current resolution combined with graphic quality. They are pretty cheap these days and every vehicle is heading that way. Analogue dials are great but the ones on the focus were very average at best so I think the screen is a massive improvement. The graphics and clarity actually look good and comparable to the competition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly, the controls are easy to use on the screen and are in a fixed position. It couldn’t be any easier. Plus, it makes the cabin look so much cleaner and modern. A friend has a model 3 and that is a **** show to use imo, that is when using a screen is done poorly and can actually make it unsafe.
Great to hear some real world feedback from the vids I've seen it seems very responsive compared to some. The sync 4 looks to be a intuitive and effective system actually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I said I only use the 95 octane first level map (approx. 300hp) it is really good. Removes the held back feeling in mid range and goes a lot better at top end without ruining it with torque steer and harshness. But it feels oem and definitely better than fords attempt mainly because it’s designed for better performance rather than minimising emissions like oem. I just wish they would include the option to turn off active sound as they said they would. That is the spoiler of my car. Hideous nasty false noise.
Any trouble from ford service centre ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great to hear some real world feedback from the vids I've seen it seems very responsive compared to some. The sync 4 looks to be a intuitive and effective system actually.
It strikes the perfect balance between being up to date with the technology without taking it to far. It’s clearly been designed with a driver in mind, not a tech person. It’s easy to use, intuitive and makes sure the important things are front and centre. I look at what everyone else is doing and despair at times, I’m looking at you VW 👀

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any trouble from ford service centre ?
No not at all. They just service it and couldn’t care less, more than happy I choose them over elsewhere. I never use the same place as I buy the car as I scour the country for the best deal.

Codes on Ford pass app, how could it do that? Ford pass app doesn't work 99% of time. In fact your timing on that one is good. just received notification today from ford that they are closing the ford pass apps down and most of everything else with it because " it doesn't perform as they expected" you couldn't make it up!

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's not a cheapening down its keeping with the current trend off all manufacturers. And yes LCD screens have been around for a while but not at current resolution combined with graphic quality. They are pretty cheap these days and every vehicle is heading that way. Analogue dials are great but the ones on the focus were very average at best so I think the screen is a massive improvement. The graphics and clarity actually look good and comparable to the competition.
Not as easy as the buttons they replaced putting greasy fingers all over the screen. The biggest overwhelming criticism of some (not all are doing it fortunately) new cars is the cost cutting removal of proper easy to use buttons and knobs for basic controls. The culprit’s are getting hammered for it and deservedly so, this stupid trend needs stopping and reversing. The german you tube test of the new screen didn’t go to well tbh. Slow and glitchy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn’t say PZ4s are a downgrade. There’s not much difference in price between them and the pilot sport 4S. I’ve run Eagle F1s and Pilot Sports on my last couple so happy to try something different as didn’t notice much difference to be honest. Pirelli good enough for the F1 too 😂
Wouldn't consider trading them for PS4S, PS4S are in a different league. What are Eagle F1's ? that's just a general brand name. Which F1's ? Only ones worth having on a hot hatch are the assymetric 3 or the more recent 5. I'm a fan of the 3 and the equivalent Dunlop RT2, comfortable for a uhp but off the pace by a margin on PS4S. I can get Pirreli's for about 15% less than PS4S but it's false economy. Not bad new, but wear rapidly and loose grip proportionately with it. Not all PZero's are not so good, there are good BMW and Porsche etc versions, unfortunetely not available in our size. F1 tyres are irrelevant, completely different animals and made to an exact F1 spec.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No not at all. They just service it and couldn’t care less, more than happy I choose them over elsewhere. I never use the same place as I buy the car as I scour the country for the best deal.

Codes on Ford pass app, how could it do that? Ford pass app doesn't work 99% of time. In fact your timing on that one is good. just received notification today from ford that they are closing the ford pass apps down and most of everything else with it because " it doesn't perform as they expected" you couldn't make it up!
I'd read that codes come up when installing/ uninstalling the map that are the equivalent to if you unplugging the battery. Have you worried about resetting to factory map before services. In Australia it's been fixed priced servicing of $290 for years so no need to shop around.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd read that codes come up when installing/ uninstalling the map that are the equivalent to if you unplugging the battery. Have you worried about resetting to factory map before services. In Australia it's been fixed priced servicing of $290 for years so no need to shop around.
You need stop listening to gossip :) Anything that comes up on the dash is irrelevant and normal as the update interrupts module communications in the background. Goes to normal as soon as it’s finished with no codes. Installed and removed these a number of times Bluefin, Dreamscience and BM3. Only thing that you get with Dreamscience is something unavailable after you start it (but forgot what it is !!) Anyway it disappears after a short run never to re appear. Dreamscience inform you in the instructions that it will occur.

The shopping around I do is to buy the car. I choose the service provider based on the most confidence I have in the dealer, I have a service plan so price isn't part of it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another very worrying issue is for people who buy these cars when they're getting on a bit and out of warranty. What happens when the LCD screen fails? You cannot even operate your heating let alone a host of other functions, crazy. Cannot see cars like this being attractive as future classics. You likely won't be able to get the screens or modules just to make sure they hit the scrap yards as part of the built in life recycling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great news, just read on maybe this forum or another with dreamscience it throws up the same codes as if the battery is disconnected and is recorded. Not like that's not easy to explain anyway.

The dreamscience guys seem amazing and know their stuff and tune seems great. Never really heard of undetectable tune before but sounds like these guys have nailed it.

·
Registered
Mk4 ST280
1,496 Posts
Another very worrying issue is for people who buy these cars when they're getting on a bit and out of warranty. What happens when the LCD screen fails? You cannot even operate your heating let alone a host of other functions, crazy. Cannot see cars like this being attractive as future classics. You likely won't be able to get the screens or modules just to make sure they hit the scrap yards as part of the built in life recycling.
You could say that about a lot of parts on any cars once they stop manufacturing the parts though tbf.
I think they have to make parts for 7 years after the last car rolls out of the factory?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What happens when the LCD screen fails? You cannot even operate your heating let alone a host of other functions, crazy. Cannot see cars like this being attractive as future classics.
To be fair the LCD screens are going to get the least of worries
You could say that about a lot of parts on any cars once they stop manufacturing the parts though tbf.
I think they have to make parts for 7 years after the last car rolls out of the factory?
Exactly try tracking down ECUs year's later!

941 - 960 of 1022 Posts