Ford Focus ST Forum banner
641 - 660 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The road tax on a new ST will be coming down in January. Not sure if it affects cars already registered
These type of rule changes are not applied retrospectively in the UK, which means vehicles already registered would not be affected.
Ireland sounds like an expensive place to live, at least where cars are concerned.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I bought my ST new in March 2016 it cost 29,600 yo yos including metallic black and upgraded stereo and parking pack. At the time the best price I could get on a GTI was 34,500. Prices seem to be gone bananas since. I wont pay 48k for an ST.
Just as well you didn't fancy a Type R - they are 58k+!!

Government wants people to buy electric now, hence the ID3 is 33k

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think an electric is too much of a risk at this point. Battery prices falling, new technology and lack of proper fast charge network.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive taken the plunge and bought a MK8 Golf GTI. Petrol, Pearlescent Orynx White, manual, reversing camera and winter pack. Production week 44, delivery in January. Keeping the 2016 ST as well for the wife and ultimately my son. Ford didnt seem to have any interest in reverting. New ST seems like it might be a nice car and has a better warranty and more power. GTI will probably be cheaper to run and resale possibly better. I need a change any way....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ive taken the plunge and bought a MK8 Golf GTI. Petrol, Pearlescent Orynx White, manual, reversing camera and winter pack. Production week 44, delivery in January. Keeping the 2016 ST as well for the wife and ultimately my son. Ford didnt seem to have any interest in reverting. New ST seems like it might be a nice car and has a better warranty and more power. GTI will probably be cheaper to run and resale possibly better. I need a change any way....
That's a lovely car, congrats. The DCC sliding scale sounds like it'll make it a lovely daily.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
After months of deliberation I have just ordered an orange fury with performance pack and sunroof.

Delivery mid May.........unless it comes any quicker!

I bet you cant guess the very first mod (after 1000 miles run in of course).....

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
After months of deliberation I have just ordered an orange fury with performance pack and sunroof.
Congratulations. :)
I'm assuming you have been told when to expect delivery, but 5 months seems extremely long. :O

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Three separate dealers told me 5 months........I believe it's because of Brexit!

However, last time I was quoted a long lead time the car arrived within 8 weeks!!

It doesn't matter as I can keep mine until the other arrives (even though my PCP agreement finishes in January).

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
This takes me back to my earliest days in the club.

The single most popular topic of conversation was delivery date (usually measured in months).

Having to wait helps you to savour the moment!

·
Registered
138 Posts

I bet you cant guess the very first mod (after 1000 miles run in of course).....
Well done. It's a cracking car as you will find out. I am out of touch with the spec changes of the latest builds but assume it has DCC and Heads up? I would strongly recommend the Blind Spot system/cross traffic alert, it should be standard. The cross traffic is brilliant for reversing out of blind spots, it lets you know straight away if a car is passing that you cannot yet see, worked for me many times now.

I think the 5 month wait which sounds ludicrous for a Ford is because they only build ST's in batches for stock cars and don't priorities factory orders anymore. I am very surprised as that spec would have been available all over the place only a couple of months back. Contrary to what some would like to claim, they must be selling very well, there were loads of all specs available.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The cross traffic is brilliant for reversing out of blind spots, it lets you know straight away if a car is passing that you cannot yet see, worked for me many times now.
By all accounts these systems do their intended job very well, but they would be pretty much redundant if drivers always reversed into a parking space which enabled them to drive straight out. I accept that this is never going to happen though. :D

I honestly cannot remember the last time I needed to reverse out of a parking space. Having said that I completely refuse to park in between 2 cars in any public car park. :nope:

·
Registered
Mk4 ST280
1,389 Posts
Surely the 180 degree reversing camera makes the BLIS for reversing out of a space redundant anyway?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Surely the 180 degree reversing camera makes the BLIS for reversing out of a space redundant anyway?
No not really and you have to turn that on which most wouldn't ever bother, the cars approaching would be very distant and not very noticeable in many circumstances, not sure if the cross traffic works from the camera either. as it seems to pick up cars that a camera wouldn't be able to see. I wouldn't be without this now and it also includes the blind spot monitors which I definitely would never be without too. Its only £400 to help prevent your car or you getting smashed up! No Brainer really.

·
Registered
138 Posts
By all accounts these systems do their intended job very well, but they would be pretty much redundant if drivers always reversed into a parking space which enabled them to drive straight out. I accept that this is never going to happen though. :D

I honestly cannot remember the last time I needed to reverse out of a parking space. Having said that I completely refuse to park in between 2 cars in any public car park. :nope:
Well call me old fashioned Ron but the thing to do when it came to tight one way in/out parking is to drive into a tight place and reverse into the large space out of it, A lot easier, exceptions being drives onto main roads etc. In many cases, you wouldn't be able to see much better the other way? Also its a bit daft to reverse into spaces in shopping car parks etc where you need to open your boot to put your shopping in.

How do you stop people parking next to you?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
How do you stop people parking next to you?
I always park in end spaces so that only one side is exposed to potential danger. Sometimes an end space might not be available, but I always park furthest away from the entrance in supermarket car parks with plenty of empty spaces either side.

I tend to only park in regular places so I already know the best spaces to park in, but if none of them are available I can and will drive out again.

Yes I really am that OCD about where I park my car. :lol:

Also I rarely(if ever) park with another car immediately behind me so accessing my boot is not a problem. I'm not daft. ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I always park in end spaces so that only one side is exposed to potential danger. Sometimes an end space might not be available, but I always park furthest away from the entrance in supermarket car parks with plenty of empty spaces either side.

I tend to only park in regular places so I already know the best spaces to park in, but if none of them are available I can and will drive out again.

Yes I really am that OCD about where I park my car. :lol:
So am i Ron, do exactly the same . Isn't it amazing though when a car park is empty and you park out of the way how someone always seems to park next to you when you come back, spaces everywhere but they are next to you!

But if im in my van, the car park is almost full and I see a spot next to a car almost straddling or actually straddling two bays i don't hesitate to park in the adjacent bay even if its inches from their car. Although I notice they get tickets in all the council car parks now.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Well done. It's a cracking car as you will find out. I am out of touch with the spec changes of the latest builds but assume it has DCC and Heads up? I would strongly recommend the Blind Spot system/cross traffic alert, it should be standard. The cross traffic is brilliant for reversing out of blind spots, it lets you know straight away if a car is passing that you cannot yet see, worked for me many times now.

I think the 5 month wait which sounds ludicrous for a Ford is because they only build ST's in batches for stock cars and don't priorities factory orders anymore. I am very surprised as that spec would have been available all over the place only a couple of months back. Contrary to what some would like to claim, they must be selling very well, there were loads of all specs available.
I have really had to push the budget (and put a whacking deposit in) to afford this one!

After years of having white cars (the exception being my NB RS) I fancied a change and figured I would have the signature colour this time.

I could have had blue but I'm not so keen on it as I much prefer Janet's desert island blue Fiesta which is a gorgeous colour.

If that had been available for the ST I could well have chosen that.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Mate, I hope you have better luck with yours than mine! I have had two now with a number of issues and really couldn't recommend one of these to my worst enemy. I've got the Dreamscience map which is good, but I'm looking to get rid of my ST. It's only done 1600 miles, so hoping I'll fetch a bit more if I don't push the mileage. if you are interested I will be looking to sell my Dreamscience IMAP handset for the remap and it still has 4 lives meaning you can use it on another 4 Mk4 ST's.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Mate, I hope you have better luck with yours than mine! I have had two now with a number of issues and really couldn't recommend one of these to my worst enemy. I've got the Dreamscience map which is good, but I'm looking to get rid of my ST. It's only done 1600 miles, so hoping I'll fetch a bit more if I don't push the mileage. if you are interested I will be looking to sell my Dreamscience IMAP handset for the remap and it still has 4 lives meaning you can use it on another 4 Mk4 ST's.
So do I mate!

I was in two minds as my M235 Fiesta is such a good car but touch wood I have never had a bad one from my dealer and I'm confident that if I were to have any issues he would sort me out. Nevertheless, I shall still be very sad to see my ST Fiesta go.
With regards to tuning, I will be sticking with Mountune (if I do decide to tune it which I probably will).
Even though I have ordered it the only thing that I'm hesitating on is whether I will really get the use of it given the Covid scenario.
I suppose you could say that about any car though.....

641 - 660 of 687 Posts