Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have now had ST since May and pleasently surprised with it.When collected the steelers had fixed the front number plate over the front sensor and it had been valeted by an S. Wonder and an R.Charles but they did correct it all.As expected it does not do the mpg as stated,even though still running it in.Did expect this as the last one never did what it should have.But hey,we dont drive an ST for fuel economy do we.I find it better than the last three versions I had.Miss the door guards and full leather.Would have paid the extra,better than the door bungs.Price adjusted because of all the tech I suppose.
Can I ask what sort of driving you do. Town, lot of traffic stop start, heavy acceleration and braking? I ask because mine easily gets claimed without resorting to any crawling around. Its averaged exactly as ford claim last month at 34.4 mpg. Was over 36 running in. I think if you really tried, 40 odd is possible. Dont know why people think they wont do what is claimed. Wltp is designed to fix that and in my case does. If you constantly accelerate hard then brake hard over short distances it will waste a lot of fuel. My MK 3 averaged over 35mpg In 12k. I use 97 octane minimum.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i prefer part leather, i was never a fan of the full leather on my st3's but there was no option to have anything else.
Agree. The mk4 combo is spot on and more comfortable. I spilt a coffee over mine, it cleaned off without soaking in without a trace. I can see the leather seat base bolsterIng deteriorating rapidly unless I keep up my balancing act of getting in and out without rolling over it, its not easy!

·
Registered
242 Posts
After months of deliberation I have just ordered an orange fury with performance pack and sunroof.

Delivery mid May.........unless it comes any quicker!

I bet you cant guess the very first mod (after 1000 miles run in of course).....
Well done. It's a cracking car as you will find out. I am out of touch with the spec changes of the latest builds but assume it has DCC and Heads up? I would strongly recommend the Blind Spot system/cross traffic alert, it should be standard. The cross traffic is brilliant for reversing out of blind spots, it lets you know straight away if a car is passing that you cannot yet see, worked for me many times now.

I think the 5 month wait which sounds ludicrous for a Ford is because they only build ST's in batches for stock cars and don't priorities factory orders anymore. I am very surprised as that spec would have been available all over the place only a couple of months back. Contrary to what some would like to claim, they must be selling very well, there were loads of all specs available.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Surely the 180 degree reversing camera makes the BLIS for reversing out of a space redundant anyway?
No not really and you have to turn that on which most wouldn't ever bother, the cars approaching would be very distant and not very noticeable in many circumstances, not sure if the cross traffic works from the camera either. as it seems to pick up cars that a camera wouldn't be able to see. I wouldn't be without this now and it also includes the blind spot monitors which I definitely would never be without too. Its only £400 to help prevent your car or you getting smashed up! No Brainer really.

·
Registered
242 Posts
By all accounts these systems do their intended job very well, but they would be pretty much redundant if drivers always reversed into a parking space which enabled them to drive straight out. I accept that this is never going to happen though. :D

I honestly cannot remember the last time I needed to reverse out of a parking space. Having said that I completely refuse to park in between 2 cars in any public car park. :nope:
Well call me old fashioned Ron but the thing to do when it came to tight one way in/out parking is to drive into a tight place and reverse into the large space out of it, A lot easier, exceptions being drives onto main roads etc. In many cases, you wouldn't be able to see much better the other way? Also its a bit daft to reverse into spaces in shopping car parks etc where you need to open your boot to put your shopping in.

How do you stop people parking next to you?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I always park in end spaces so that only one side is exposed to potential danger. Sometimes an end space might not be available, but I always park furthest away from the entrance in supermarket car parks with plenty of empty spaces either side.

I tend to only park in regular places so I already know the best spaces to park in, but if none of them are available I can and will drive out again.

Yes I really am that OCD about where I park my car. :lol:
So am i Ron, do exactly the same . Isn't it amazing though when a car park is empty and you park out of the way how someone always seems to park next to you when you come back, spaces everywhere but they are next to you!

But if im in my van, the car park is almost full and I see a spot next to a car almost straddling or actually straddling two bays i don't hesitate to park in the adjacent bay even if its inches from their car. Although I notice they get tickets in all the council car parks now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I hope so too mate. The problem is that with certain issues like the rattling door cards, the fix that Ford recommend and the dealers have to implement do not work. Then the dealers are stuck scratching their heads as they cant act outside of Ford technical recommended fixes when it comes to warranty work. Ive seen this numerous times with my 2 Mk8 ST Fiestas and 2 Mk4 Focus STs. To stop my doors buzzing the bass is on -1 and sounds awful.
I hear your frustration, but don't expect other makes to be any better. Had most and the Ford's recently are a match for pretty much anything equivalent quality wise, all cars are cheaped down all over the place, including and especially VW. Better than the Skoda Octy I had, shoddy overall, rapidly corroding brakes and wheels. cheap nasty interior plastics masked to appear better than they are, poor sound proofing, turbo failure at 30K etc. And on par with the leon's etc. Not had the issue with the door cards. But I wouldn't ever turn the bass past mid + 1 ish as there is too much. I prefer mine to reproduce sound like it was when it was produced, not a thumping bass drowning out all the other frequencies. The ST sound system is very good. Up to now my ST has been absolutely faultless, well bar the irritating constantly cancelling wireless charging, apparently there is a replacement mat available.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Will there be anymore 2.3ST’s? Bloke I was talking to at Stratstone Ford suggested there may not be anymore 2.3 engines after stock is used up, that’s if they do start making them again. Sounds likely as no more 2.3 Mustangs and cannot see any other cars that use them. If you want an ST might be wise to grab one of the few left. Plus the face lift Focus is due at the end of the year throwing more doubts in as to if they would bother re running production of old versions.
A 1.5 or 2.0 Hybrid might be ? 2.0 is not the MK3 Mazda L block engine, the all new block twin scroll US version that has been in US cars for 5 years and for some reason not used in the Focus or any European Ford.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don’t think that will be true - the 2.3 engine is the base option for the new Bronco. Not available in the UK but I imagine they’ll sell a stack of them in the US. That in itself might making getting hold of the tricky but it’s definitely not being discontinued. Have a look at the Ford US configurator - you could spend weeks speccing a car on there there are so many options!

It’s also got 300hp so if anything I’d expect a power bump on the ST when they face lift it. The ST facelift will possibly lag behind the rest of the range from what I’ve seen as it was introduced later.
Can’t see a 2.3 in the Bronco, which one have you found? All are the 2.0 twin scroll engine, that I can see anyway. Still cannot find the 2.3 anywhere else. Not looking good for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes found them, only two base models doesn’t give much confidence as I expect there is some stock to use if they are available at all, rest have all gone 2.0. I hope it’s wrong but doesn’t look good, why would all of the mainstream model’s have gone 2.0 if the 2.3 was the preferred choice? We will find out over the next 6 months or so.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They have to introduce a hybrid of some form sooner rather than later with the next step of emissions legislation moving the goal posts again. When they do there’s a good chance the RS could be back in the fold.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Still not heard anything about mine yet; 7 months since I ordered it and “potential” July build looks more and more unlikely. That said, loads more people will be in the same boat so I’m not complaining.
Are you confident they are going to honour it? Seen loads of people who were prepared to be strung along get dropped like a ton if bricks many month’s later during the last VAG shortage a few years ado. Was in BSM getting mine serviced the other day and the guy their didn’t think they would return in their current form, he thought they would most likely be a hybrid. I don’t know, probably more likely they will drop them altogether. They effectively already have as they are not available and haven’t been nearly all year.

Can I ask why you have you waited this long? The options are minimal and all variations were available for immediate delivery until fairly recently, still a handful of old stock available.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doesn’t seem too likely you will get one. I still have doubts about the future for them. You’re certainly unbelievable loyal to them!!

There are a handful of new ones left which some have bumped the prices up. Don’t expect too much from that new dash, it’s very very basic and most annoyingly they haven’t even bothered to put the speed numbers around the speedo! Have to use the digital one in the middle. We do have one, not just from looking at a showroom car. Hoping they update the firmware, but not likely. Give me the analogue dials any day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are only two versions of most models available to order and been like that all year. Even the new Puma ST is no longer available to order. No ST’s of any model

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah the standard spec is more than enough. I’ve gone Performance Blue, Petrol, Manual, Estate and the Wireless Charging.
The wireless charger is absolutely useless. I have had two mk4's and in both it simply doesn't work. Given up with it now and use a short lead which you need for car play in any case making the wireless charger even more redundant. They have tried firmware and software updates and a new version of the mat. It will charge for a very short while then just repeatedly gives you a message telling you there is a problem and it has stopped, this annoying message takes over your screen every minute or so until you remove the phone or plug a lead in!

I wouldn't be without BLIS it's a no brainer. Pan roof... Have never liked those and the idea of a chunk of heavy glass that high with leaks and failures ahead. They don't allow you the desirable extras like door protectors, rear usb's, 18" wheel option etc and not to have the dam awful hideously basic digital dash! ( We have it in our Puma, unfortunately had no choice)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wireless charging has been fine for me since getting the new mat.
They tried a load of software updates, seven in total, I wasn't happy it hadn't already been done having just been in for its first service. They admitted they don't do them automatically even though they are supposed to, they only do updates if there are issues with that car. They had it for two days to do the updates as they said it takes forever and often fails. Made no difference to the duff wireless charging. I told them about a new mat which they knew nothing about. Got it for me and it's actually worse. Before it would cut out with the message across the screen and that would be it. With the new mat it cuts out but constantly re connects itself resulting in the annoying message on and off the screen every minute or so. I have tried iPhone 8, X, 11 and 12, all exactly the same. Only option is to push for a refund of the option which the dealer said they would be happy to do.The service manager tried a couple of other cars and they were the same. I've tried 3, all the same. I would say if you're phone is well discharged it will work ok ish until it gets to about 80% then it starts failing. Also I use Waze via car play, the charger isn't strong enough to run Waze and charge the phone, it just about holds its level of charge.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I‘ve charged it over 70% no problem 🤷‍♂️
Your very lucky! I only wish mine would. 3 cars and 4 phones and days in dealers don't without it constantly cutting out. No coincidence they seem to have changed the pad in the 4.5, hopefully it's more effective but doesn't look like it will be backwards compatible.

Is your phone the larger "max" version by any chance ? Mine have all been the normal size versions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just the normal 11. The charger in the MK4.5 looks exactly the same as the Mk4 with the newer mat, exactly like mine.
The right side is further back and different design in still pictures but looks same in video so ?? But it definitely isn’t the same as the Puma as I thought at first from stills The Puma holds the phone on its side and it’s stable, it’s far more reliable only occasionally cuts out once or twice on about a 10 mile run max rather than every 30 seconds to a minute. I have the alternative mat. It just turns the phone a bit sideways and holds it slightly better. But is still useless. I’ve tried and done everything 3, cars, 4 phones and the dealer agreeing the cars they use are all the same. They admit they cannot do anymore, it’s up to Ford to come up with a fix.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts