Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve either been very lucky with my order or my dealer is lying to me, but I’ve been told that my Order had been ‘gate released’ and is expected beginning of May.
I ordered the day the FL was announced in the media and the build date was January with delivery originally expected 2nd April.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally think the focus will be dropped this year in favour of the kuga. And the fiesta will follow not long after
I hope not, I went from a focus ST into a Kuga for the last few years (don’t ask) and I’ve missed the Focus the whole time. There is nothing wrong with the Kuga as such but it can’t match the Focus as an all round package, even if they did make an ST version. But, in the electric future all things that make the Focus great will be lost with heavy batteries, range requirements and the suspension setups to compensate.
I’ll keep dreaming if a future when the technology matures we can have 1500kg hot hatches with 400 miles of range again.
On the flip side, if you’re right, the mk4.5 could be the last Hot focus ever made, or at least the last ICE one. If so, I’ll be keeping mine for as long as possible, if it ever actually arrives of course!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any advice on running the engine in? I’d put myself in the mechanical sympathetic camp when it comes to cars, but I also want to enjoy a car and not overthink it. I couldn’t find anything specific in the manual or online regarding engine break in recommendations for the 2.3 ecoboost so I’ve been going on what I’ve learnt in the past ie not idling, not babying and cruising but equally not exceeding 4000 rpm and max 50%throttle (and obvs not short runs and letting oil get to temp)
I’ve seen some manufactures recommending 1000km of this but then some engine builders saying first 100 km is most important but 200km is easily enough.
I’ve already put 300 miles on doing this process so I’m tempted to go and fully enjoy it now (maybe not redline yet though)
What do you guys think? Those with pre facelifts, what did you do?
Thanks. James.

·
Registered
42 Posts
However the facelift is a massive upgrade for me compared to my 2018. I’m not sure I would be rushing to change from a mk4 to a facelift. After all, I originally ordered a MK4. It just never got built
I’m really happy with my 4.5, The huge sync 4 screen is great, wireless CarPlay is a nice thing to have and I do like the digital dash. If I had a 4 already though I wouldn’t of bothered, I only got the 4.5 because of the timing of my order.
the new seats are very comfortable but I don’t think they’re are any better or worse than the recarros, and I’ve been enjoying the car on some twisty roads, albeit in the dry, and the Pirelli’s are doing a great job. I’ve got so much confidence in its grip already.
it’s a big upgrade compared to my 3.5, the way the 4 handles and gets the power down is a step up imo, it’s a much more engaging fun car and I’m even happier with it than I imagined.
but you lot already know all this, I’m just gutted I didn’t get the 4 at launch, I’ve been missing out!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds great! The recaros in the mk4s seemed a bit lacking in comfort but the new seats look to be more comfortable. Quick random question, if you hit the sports mode button on and off does it return to normal mode? I have seen reviews on the previous model and it seems you need to cycle through all the modes each time. In the absent of a custom mode being able to quickly switch between the sport and normal mode would be great and was wondering if they fixed with the update.

Also the digital dash seems to pretty snappy changing between modes in the new one whereas the pre facelift was pretty laggy.
The car always starts in normal mode, Pressing the sport button takes it into sport (suspension stiffness, dash goes red and different graphics) this happens instantly. Pressing the sport button again takes it back to normal mode. It’s so quick and easy, I stay in normal mode until I see that national speed limit sign, or any other ‘fun opportunity’ I press into sport, enjoy that moment or run to the next 30 zone and press it back to engage normal. It’s brilliant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @James_82

I thought the car I saw yesterday looked ok. The front looks better than the mk4 but I wasn't overly impressed with the seats which had looked a lot better in pictures than the recaro's on the mk4.

To be honest I'm only sticking with my order now because of the price match, spec match and keeping my place in the queue as I had ordered a mk4 that didn't get built.

I see Lookers are advertising a fully loaded mk4.5 on Autotrader with a estimated September availability for £42k.
The Driver Assistance Pack, Winter pack, HUD and Rear View Camera were all standard on the mk4 and therefore I'm assured will be on my car if and when it arrives.
Other than Active Parking Assist and BLIS I think the spec is the same as the one I originally ordered last July. Seems such a long time ago now.
I really like the new look, the new headlights looks so good imo, I’m not a fan of the rear lights on this generation, so the 4.5 tint helps to tone them down a bit so that helps with the rear for me. I’ve never been one for having a spirited drive at night, but I decided to try it with the new matrix headlights and they are amazing. I can enjoy a drive with out needing to worry about full beam etc, you can see them working their magic, blanking around the car In front and oncoming vehicles, plus being super bright and directional in all the right places to have as much visability as possible.
3rd gear on a B road is so addictive, I can’t believe how linear the power is, some bends I’ve been dropping it into 2nd but 3rd would probably be a better choice. The low down torque and apparent lack of any turbo lag makes it a different experience from what I remember my 3.5 being.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you tried your high beam? Its poor. Low beam is good apart from it dazzles everyone. The standard power is ok but nothing to get too excited about. But add just the 95 octane stage 1 Dreamscience map and its a lot better and good for a consistent 35mpg. When you switch back to standard it feels flat. Strongly recommend it.
It’s auto high beam and the matrix lights dim to prevent blinding other road users. Here is a quote from the marketing …... “ At an extra cost, pixel LED headlights work with a front camera to shut off parts of the headlight to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. The upper-spec lights also use the camera to read the road ahead and illuminate the inside of a curve”. I’ve been on a night drive on some country roads and they do an incredible job, you can see them actively working, it’s impressive and helps massively with visibility.
As for the power, I’m not bothered about straight line speed, I like to enjoy tight twisty B roads so a rarely get out of 3rd, and honestly it feels enough power for the road for me. You can remind me i said this when I stage 1 it in a few months 😆

·
Registered
42 Posts
The controls are excellent and I use them with ease all of the time. How they look is irrelevant but in any case they look very good better thsn blank nothing. This cheaping down that has gone on the last few years with Ford is now costing them. Contrary to what people might think, LCD panels are ancient and been around for 50 years and they cost very little, a few quid far less than proper instruments.
Honestly, the controls are easy to use on the screen and are in a fixed position. It couldn’t be any easier. Plus, it makes the cabin look so much cleaner and modern. A friend has a model 3 and that is a **** show to use imo, that is when using a screen is done poorly and can actually make it unsafe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great to hear some real world feedback from the vids I've seen it seems very responsive compared to some. The sync 4 looks to be a intuitive and effective system actually.
It strikes the perfect balance between being up to date with the technology without taking it to far. It’s clearly been designed with a driver in mind, not a tech person. It’s easy to use, intuitive and makes sure the important things are front and centre. I look at what everyone else is doing and despair at times, I’m looking at you VW 👀

1 - 12 of 12 Posts