Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car for 2 months now and covered over 5k.

Generally speaking I am very pleased with it and I think the various press reports sum the car up very well. It is a quite brilliant allround car suited to everyday use but with a very entertaining side to its personality. The judgement of balance between ride, handling, performance and refinement is difficult to fault. However as a drivers car there are two basic points that I find incredibly annoying:

1. The brake pedal is just too high relative to the accelerator.

2. I prefer to hold the steering wheel at quarter to 3 position with my thumbs just above the spokes. The combination of rim thickness and spoke thickness is just wrong as there is nowhere on the back of the wheel for your fingers to get a proper hold/grip. Never had this issue on any other car before.

The other stuff like axle tramp (engine rock) and brake pedal initial bite you adapt your driving style to suit. Unfortunately I can't reshape my hands or decouple my right ankle. These are only small points but I find them disproportionately annoying in an otherwise excellent package.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I've not had mine as long as you or covered the miles you have, but one thing I've noticed on long journeys is that my left shoulder aches quite a bit afterwards and I can't work out what's causing it.

I also hold the wheel where you do and I don't have the problem like you do, but then I suppose it's down to the size and shape of your hands. Can't say I've noticed the height of the brake pedal, I'm either used to it from my partner's Peugeot or I've just adapted to it.

I'm still getting used to how much right foot to use, especially in the wet. I'm used to having it on the floor trying to get the most out of a diesel engine. I'm getting better but it still catches me out now and then. I hate the way they removed the radio commands from this version of Sync, on the previous version you could give a frequency or a preset number to tune. With the new version you can't even switch to the radio, you have to press the button on the head unit.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I can't fault mine at all tbh. If I had to pick something is the grip in the wet when you accelerate hard but I guess that's what you should expect from a fwd 250ps car with no LSD lol I haven't noticed anything odd with the brake pedal in relation to the accelerater pedal. I noticed in my fiesta the brake pedal was a fraction higher than the accelerater pedal but haven't noticed that in the st. As for the steering wheel spoke thickness or whatever you want to call them, they seem fine to be but like Sean said I guess it depends on the individual. I tend to hold the wheel at 10 and 2.

One this I haven noticed is that you hardly have to press the brake for the car to stop but if you want more stopping power then you really have to press it if you get what I mean. Like in my mondeo or vxr you would hardly have to touch the brake too but then the harder you press the more stopping power you got but in the focus it seems to be nothing in the middle if you understand what I'm trying to say lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
I know what you mean about the steering wheel position, I get sore finger joints even after driving for 25 mins in the morning coming to work.

Got no problem with the pedal layout though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
One this I haven noticed is that you hardly have to press the brake for the car to stop but if you want more stopping power then you really have to press it if you get what I mean. Like in my mondeo or vxr you would hardly have to touch the brake too but then the harder you press the more stopping power you got but in the focus it seems to be nothing in the middle if you understand what I'm trying to say lol
Nope!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Lol I don't really know how to explain it. All I can say is if you lightly press the brake its starts to brake pretty sharp. Then if I push it a bit harder there's no extra stopping power until I press the brake much harder. If you still don't understand then never mind lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lol I don't really know how to explain it. All I can say is if you lightly press the brake its starts to brake pretty sharp. Then if I push it a bit harder there's no extra stopping power until I press the brake much harder. If you still don't understand then never mind lol
NOW I'm with you
, any other MK3 owners noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I think I might have noticed this, especially at motorway speeds when the traffic stops without warning - a couple of times now I've suddenly realised I need to press the pedal a lot harder or I'm not going to make it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts